HL Panzer III

Ecam
Warrant Officer 1st Class

HL Panzer III

Post by Ecam »

The first 9 post are transferred from my "Pair of Threes" build to support the changed build threads on the forum. This Intro post is identical to the opening Stug III thread.
Sorry for any confusion. Eric

These will not be a fast builds. I've got books inbound and will get parts as I need them. Spent most of the last week pouring through the builds here at RCTW looking for inspiration. I know many amongst us claim the Tiger I as their favorite tank. But for me my favorite (Axis/German) tank would be the diminutive PZIII. I've worked on several of my German tanks but mostly stiffening the chassis, removing air softs and smokers (although my HL Tiger I got all the fixes years ago). So this is my first thread on the stuff Germany turned out in the war.

First step was to free up some room. The post aren't really in the way so I will use them as guides and magnets to secure. A piece of wire in the thread portions makes it easy to index and allows plugging the hole underneath. I find it funny that this is a fairly early HL kit, yet the underside has some impressive detail (muddied up by the holes and battery box).

Last edited by Ecam on Fri May 24, 2024 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Ecam

Re: HL Panzer III

Post by Ecam »

Turret work.

Need to make a new barrel and breech. Turret elevation will be just below.

Barrel. Drilled a 3.13 mm hole scaled to 16th works out to 50.08 mm. Sure beats the 6 mm x 16 = 96 mm.

Zip tied to the stocker:

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Hatch swap. The PzVI donated the turret hatches for the PzIII. Will order replacements soon for the 4.

Lift mech:

Max elevation:

Depression:

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Meter rat wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:01 pm Why does everyone else seem to make elevation units easy? I wished you had posted this yesterday when I was struggling with my Challenger. Even inspiration from red wine didn’t help.
It is a much cheaper route than changing out to 6.1 or 7.1 versions. I have three tanks in need of those. Projects like the Priest and M32 free up extra components.

I just got these books from Mike. A little reading and back to the projects!

Really great books, I've never seen one of this series before today. Fantastic pictures and diagrams.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

So I'm getting the feeling some of you out there might be snickering behind this rookie's back. While I feel this was a valiant attempt of a bin-less G turret...
It turns out that Germany used most of the alphabet to create the PZIIIs during the war. The books Mike sent to me showed that the turret is indeed the larger one used starting with the H model. The slope of the rear wall seam (just behind the side hatch) leaned forward on the G and earlier builds necessitating the blister I built. H and on that wall seam was leaned back slightly. Mine just needs the blister removed and the cupula moved back forward.

Quit laughing gents... or I may have to move back to the Shermans!

Meter rat wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:39 pm
Ecam wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:20 pm So I'm getting the feeling some of you out there might be snickering behind this rookie's back.

Quit laughing gents... or I may have to move back to the Shermans!
Rookie, my Derrière. This is going to be a brilliant build from one of the best builder on here. You’ve just mixed up metric and imperial measurements.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

What some of you might not be aware of is the money I've been sending to the West side of Scotland!

Blister removed, patched and newly drilled roof. That ring on top lifts out, and allows the cupula a snug centered fit.

No idea of the origins but I have a few hand me down tools that come in handy at times on the tank builds.

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:53 pm With CAD long established, such drafting tools have become heirlooms. I have my father's set--somewhat fewer tools--from right after WWII. I cherish it, and on some occasions use it. But an inexpensive electronic calipers has taken over many of the responsibilities.
Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:13 am "...I am not too knowledgeable about the screens over the PzKw III, but I find the second trick more convincing."
Herr Doc,

Since I can hear the complete disappointment in your post on my attempt at the speaker grille vent covers. I headed back to the drawing board for a grueling 14 hours (ok 30 minutes) and came up with this.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:19 pm Yes! That's the best version yet! And, indeed, I know about 30 minutes turning into 14 hours. Gee, it only takes me 30 minutes to get up and ready each morning.

Thanks Doc, glad to be out of the dog house!

Used regular model cement to stick the screen to the box. After the glue dries a pair of scissors trimmed the screen. Then CA to mount the angle on top of the screen.

Best overhead view I could come up with

So while waiting for glue to dry on the other set of vents, I worked on the spare mounts for both threes.

My book information on the Pz III is good but limited. My P3 is very close to a late ausf J and L. My books aren't clear on when the Schürzen (spaced armor) was started. My books show Schürzen on the ausf M and N. Those are fairly different to the J & L versions. Would it be legit to put the spaced armor on the J & L? Otherwise I may leave it off this build and do another later. The Stug will definitely get the Schürzen.

I know some of you are way ahead of my studies on this subject.
Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:34 am The screens turned out superbly! As to PzKfw. III books, it’s late now but if nobody beats me to it, I can rummage through mine. The question is, could the PzKfw. IIIJ or L have Schürtzen.
Correct. Were there field mods or were they ever factory installed (on the ausf J or L)?

Intake screens for both complete. And while I was in the mood...
Saw a picture of this somewhere but couldn't find it when I went back to look.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:46 am I found a bit on PzKfw. III with Schürzen from two of my books.

Doyle, David. Panzerkampfwagen III: Germany's Early World War II Main Tank. Legends of Warfare. Schiffer Military, 2020 ISBN 978-0-7643-5958-3.
Page 92 shows a photo of a PzKfw. III J or L with Schürzen at Kursk. Doyle explains that, "The Schürzen supplemental armored panels were meant to be fitted to all active service Panzer III variants by 1943.

Spielberger, Walter J. Panzer III und seine Abarten. Motorbuch Verlag, 2013. ISBN 978-3-61303550-8.
On page 69 Spielberger explains that "On March 19, 1943 Panzer IIIs were for the first time produced with side-mounted Schürzen."

Spielberger also points out (p. 59) that "in the course of production of the L variant, the emergency exit hatches on both side of the lower hull of the E variant were omitted."

translations mine
Great information Herr Doc! I plan to delete the side hatches on the Stug but not sure yet on the Pz III depends on the late J or L. Thank you, I will get back to them tomorrow. Worked on a Pz IV today removing the Battery box and reinforcing the floor (don't worry I will save the pictures on this one and start a thread someday). Have only 4 more HLs that need battery box removals wish I would have started doing that years ago.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Since I will likely build the turret surround armor, and I've found zero pictures of the armor with a missing bin... I decided to rework the PZIII bin to look more like what I see in the pictures.

Trimmed the bottom a bit. Undercut the wings and added a wedge to the top. Also shortened the length a fair amount (sanding the bin to turret face). It also bolts on and will get some correct hangers soon (non weight bearing).

I liked how the lifter mech came out on the IV so I built another for the III. It is turned around to move the pushrod forward in the turret. With the open side hatches I tried to replicate a shorter breech to suit the 50mm gun. The pushrod in the IV's location would end up behind the breech.

And finally, relocated the hatch latch/catch.

MonsieurTox wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:51 pm Looking great Eric, new bin looks perfect.
Yeah that's too bad they molded the tools on the fenders, maybe you could have cut some square on the fender to make a kind of frame (like the original) and glue some anti slip PE? I built a plastic frame for my hummel fenders and glued some PE and I've been surprised how strong imthey are! And the good thing is that you can glued them from the back.

Eric

Return to “Panzer III”