Weathering new metal tracks.

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Weathering new metal tracks.

Post by Johnf »

Great effect with simple vinegar. Can I have salt on mine also.
Storky
Private

Post by Storky »

Johnf
They are tracks not chips!! Sounds like a good money saving tip though.

Phil
If you are not living on the edge, then you are taking up too much room.
45shootr
Recruit

Post by 45shootr »

:angel: best way to weather tracks is to use liquid gun blueing solution,i used birchwood casy super blue liquid gun blueing solution. it comes out as a matte flat dark grey finish. the soultion penetrates into the metal and is very durable and won't rub off. degrease tracks ,scrub useing a toothbrush,liquid detergent and hot water.dry,i used compressed air or use a hair dryer. put tracks in a plastic tray and brush on blueing solution with a paint brush about 1/2"x1" bristles. the results are instant with no waiting. rinse in cold water and dry.i dry brushed the tracks after with a stiff tooth brush rubbing the tracks vigiously. the blueing solution is availiale at gun shops,don't know if wal-mart carrys it in the sporting goods dept..by the way ,wear rubber gloves the solution is poisionous keep away from children !!! you 'll be happy with the results! ed
45shootr
Recruit

Post by 45shootr »

one added note on weathering metal tracks with liquid gun blueing solution,there is no damage ,erosion,corrosion,to the tracks.the solution will protect the tracks against corrosion.they rotate freely.this is a chemical staining procedure.no damage to the steel pins or the white metal or waiting several hours as in the vinegar method (no bashing intended) best way to go! ed
45shootr
Recruit

Post by 45shootr »

:angel: one added note on weathering metal tracks with liquid gun blueing solution. this is a chemical staining procedure,there is no damage to the tracks like erosion,corrosion etching etc. the results will protect the white metal steel link pins against corrosion, the tracks also rotate freely.there is no negative results or waiting as in the vinegar method (no bashing intended intended) the solution won't work on aluminum tracks. also wear eye protection rubber gloves. you can use a tooth brush to apply the solution by scrubbing the solution on.it is real easy and quick. you will love the results,no disappointment! ed
JayBrd
Lance Corporal

Post by JayBrd »

I might add, that the Birchwood Casey Super Blue Bluing solution works excellent. I just did my Panther G's tracks last night with it. It gives them a dark grey/black Parkerized or Phosphated finish.

I would recomend using a glass container, for some reason this fluid gets rather warm when doing it. I placed my tracks in a quart jar and poured the full bottle in and rotated and shook the bottle for about 5 minutes per track...(also used one bottle per track, as the solution turns black after the first track is done..
Streiken Sie schnellen, Streik hart!!
Steve_The_Tank
Recruit

Post by Steve_The_Tank »

i have just got some metal track for my King Tiger

i like the sound of this Birchwood-Casey B|

is this the stuff guys

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Birchwood-Casey-S ... 2553a1cc70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind Regards from Steve ;)
JayBrd
Lance Corporal

Post by JayBrd »

Steve_The_Tank wrote:i have just got some metal track for my King Tiger

i like the sound of this Birchwood-Casey B|

is this the stuff guys

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Birchwood-Casey-S ... 2553a1cc70" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kind Regards from Steve ;)

Yep! :thumbup:
Streiken Sie schnellen, Streik hart!!
Steve_The_Tank
Recruit

Post by Steve_The_Tank »

thank you :thumbup:

now orderd :D

all the best from Steve
Steve_The_Tank
Recruit

Post by Steve_The_Tank »

i will add

birchwood casy liquid gun blue solution

i just done my king tiger tracks and like the rest have said its quick and simple

i used a glass bowl and a an old toothbrush after 2 mins on each track they was nr all done
after that i just used the toothbrush to get in the gaps of the track to finish off
so in all 3.30 mins each roll of track quick rinse under the tap,leave to dry
job done 8)

amazing stuff also you feel like a science boffing at the same time he!he! 8|

all the best
Last edited by Steve_The_Tank on Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”