Weathering new metal tracks.

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
twelvebears
Recruit

Weathering new metal tracks.

Post by twelvebears »

So your lovely new metal tracks have arrived and you're VERY pleased with them! Look at the detail, quality, WEIGHT! Yeah! Just like a REAL tank! And oh so shiny...

Hang on. SHINY?! Tanks don't have shiny bloody tracks!

The solution (literally) is Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black, an oxidising solution used by gunsmiths to balcked shiny aluminum or zinc alloys.

I came across this tip on rctankhq and tried it myself and it really does work. My previously 'bling' tracks did indeed end up looking just like this http://www.rctankhq.com/images/projects ... 270181.jpg

Just follow the process described here: http://www.rctankhq.com/project1.htm

After running for a bit they actually look even better because the bits that contact hard surfaces do shine up a bit which looks great.
Wolftone
Lance Corporal

Re: Weathering new metal tracks.

Post by Wolftone »

Like it! I have been of the opinion for a while now that 'heavy rust' effects are what is found on non runner's. Tank track's in the field do not look like this due to the simple fact that they are constantly working. Just a thought.
Storky
Private

Post by Storky »

I think I will get some of this to put on my new track system when I build it. Was wondering how to stop them looking so shiny. Ordinary paint will just come off with use.
Phil
If you are not living on the edge, then you are taking up too much room.
oskar
Recruit

Post by oskar »

I used Tourmaline to weather my shiny tracks,I use it at work to antique brass handles on repro furniture.After a quick dip or brush application the tracks go black,rinse excess of with water and dry,wire wool can then be used to obtain a dulled metal look.It can be purchased from a company called Liberon 250ml is plenty.
Storky
Private

Post by Storky »

Is that enough for a 1/8 Pershing? 3.2 metres of 75mm wide tracks. May need a bucket full.

Will see if there is any on Evilbay.

Phil
If you are not living on the edge, then you are taking up too much room.
blimp
Sergeant

Post by blimp »

:think: i 'aged' my super shiny Mato set in white vinegar overnight ,(followed by a quick boil in an old saucepanfull of detergent to 'kill' any active acidity ) they come up like this - Image - not bad eh? :D i'll give them a thin dirt coloured wash of paint later as they are very 'raw' metal in this state and it will help to keep any further oxidation at bay . cheap 'n easy , just like moi .
to the bouncy room ! Yay !
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

I ran a test last year using white vinegar to darken metal tracks. It didn't work on Kenny Kong tracks at all, but Impact tracks soaked in white vinegar for two hours was just perfect. (And then I rinsed them out well in clean water). I also soaked spere links for 4, 8, 16, and 24 hours; just to see if they would get darker than after two hours. They didn't get darker, but what I did notice is that they started to show damage to the details after 4 hours or so, (and by 24 hours; some of the details - like the guide horns on Panther tracks - had been eaten through completely). My advice is to soak them for 2 hours, and then rinse them.

I still don't know how to darken the Kenny Kong tracks. I have not tried the Birchwood Casey Gun Blue solution yet; but I will.

-Mike
twelvebears
Recruit

Post by twelvebears »

blimp wrote::think: i 'aged' my super shiny Mato set in white vinegar overnight ,(followed by a quick boil in an old saucepanfull of detergent to 'kill' any active acidity )
I actually think I prefer your 'cheap n cheeful' vinegar result more that the stuff I suggested!

Interesting that Kenny Kong tracks aren't affacted. Does anyone know what they're made of by any chance?
blimp
Sergeant

Post by blimp »

:think: Mmmm , i have just got a set of KK's for 'sunday best' :P - if they don't react so well to etching with vinegar could they be pewter ? if/when i break a link i'll try smelting some for comparison test - *pewter (tin/lead) would melt first .
to the bouncy room ! Yay !
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Blimp,your method looks great,the metal look with some weathering seems close to the metal tracks on tanks rolling of the factory floor.I will try this on my new King Tiger tracks. cheers Sax

Return to “Tips and Tricks”