StuG IIIG?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: StuG IIIG?

Post by HERMAN BIX »

viewtopic.php?t=30372

And an unfinished build here some time ago.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Meter rat
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Meter rat »

Meter rat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:46 am
Mithras wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:34 am My main concern is the Honved insignia. I’ve got them in 15mm, 28mm, and somewhere in 1/35, but I’ve not been satisfied with my efforts to freehand them. I’ll see if I can dig up a reference.
Rad of this parish does custom stencils. I had a set done for my Challenger.
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:04 am I'd argue its one of H/Ls best offerings and certainly a great starter for the most produced subject AFV of Germany WW2.

Agree with Mr Kaczor that the schurzen are fragile in plastic, much better in brass but still present a hassle for handling.

The Hungarian versions are also ones I have an eye on. The markings I would freehand, same as they would have done then I assume.
I appreciate everybody chiming in regarding the Schurzen. Good to know. They might be more a pain then they're worth in a stronger material. Wife suggested magnetizing them, but my thought would be that they'd come off rather quickly in anything even remotely more challenging than a grassy field. I think, at the least, I'd like to do some additional stowage. Forgebear seems to have some useful stuff for that.

Nicknames (most Hungarian vehicles had them) were typically hand painted. Numbers could go either way. Aside from white crosses occasionally painted on captured or training vehicles, however (similar to Italian practice), the black and white insignia and the green and red cross were applied via stencil. As was the Arrow Cross version (not particularly popular, and something my uncles would probably throttle me for replicating.) The Cmer (that's the curved shield) seems to be another case of being applied either way. I've got some resources and references at home, and I'm happy to share should you ever like to see them.

Sadly, I think it's some time before we see a Zrinyi or a Turan. But perhaps one of these days. If we've got a kit out there for the Ram, anything's possible.
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:16 am viewtopic.php?t=30372

And an unfinished build here some time ago.
Very nice work. I wonder how he did the Saukopf. 3d Print, perhaps. I don't currently have access to a printer. One of the US captured StuGs had something similar, in addition to Zimmermit. I considered that sculpting with greystuff could give a similar look.

I think my favorite versions are the ones with the so-called "Japanese" pattern camouflage (which is actually a French pattern developed during WW1, though the Japanese did use it). It's a mix of colors bordered in black, and continued to be used until the end of the war. Not as common, but very distinct.
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Meter rat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:18 pm
Meter rat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:46 am
Mithras wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:34 am My main concern is the Honved insignia. I’ve got them in 15mm, 28mm, and somewhere in 1/35, but I’ve not been satisfied with my efforts to freehand them. I’ll see if I can dig up a reference.
Rad of this parish does custom stencils. I had a set done for my Challenger.
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Fantastic. Thanks!
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Yeah Rad's stencils are awesome ! The Honved insigina won't be an issue !
Raminator
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Raminator »

Mithras wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:14 pm Very nice work. I wonder how he did the Saukopf. 3d Print, perhaps. I don't currently have access to a printer. One of the US captured StuGs had something similar, in addition to Zimmermit. I considered that sculpting with greystuff could give a similar look.
No need to print, the saukopf/topfblende mantlet is commercially available. You can get one here at rctank.de, among other places.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

There is also static Trumpeter late Stug with saukopf.
https://www.scalemates.com/pl/kits/trum ... n--1445587
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Raminator wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:55 am
Mithras wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:14 pm Very nice work. I wonder how he did the Saukopf. 3d Print, perhaps. I don't currently have access to a printer. One of the US captured StuGs had something similar, in addition to Zimmermit. I considered that sculpting with greystuff could give a similar look.
No need to print, the saukopf/topfblende mantlet is commercially available. You can get one here at rctank.de, among other places.
Excellent. Thank you!

Return to “General Questions”