Commission Builds?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Commission Builds?

Post by RobW »

There are a couple of Japanese tanks in 1/16, TAKOM TAK1007 Imperial Japanese Army Type 94 Tankette (Late Prod 1/16) is one, can't find the other....
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Mithras wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:32 pm
Meter rat wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:34 am You say you do not have the skills? You have to be prepared to fail to get good. Classy Hobby do a kit in 1/16 of the Stuart. These are quite small tanks, but It may be possible, using readily available parts, and a second hand TK6 transmitter and receiver to get a simplified running model. For a commissioned build I would think it would be quite costly to do, due to possibly having to fabricate custom parts, and if you then find you do not like the hobby you would be left with a lot of expense which you will not recoup as there is a limited market. Or alternatively do what Jarndice, a man full of wisdom, said. Get a Tiger 1, and buy your partner a T34 or Sherman. You could work on them together, research them, battle each other, and if you find the hobby is not for you, you would be able to move them on without too much loss.

There was a person on here under the avatar of SoCal Bob who has built a couple of the smaller tanks, using parts from Heng Long 1/30 scale tanks. May be worth contacting, but he has not been on here for a while.
I'm not sure why people seem to be misunderstanding me. I am quite willing to learn, and quite capable. I've posted elsewhere asking a number of questions about a number of models. I don't particularly wanta Tiger.

This was a specific request for a gift from my partner for this Christmas. This is something she's very interested in, and quite passionate about. I do not currently have the skills to build one of them.Nor do I have the time. I was merely asking which individuals offered commissions, and of those few who I've found, whether I should be wary of any. I wasn't interested in a debate about whether or not I could build them. I've built models for years. I understand RC and I understand how to operate RC, I understand tanks, and I know how to drive one or two of the real ones. Again: I understand that people need to "get good" or whatever the current equivalent is, but I would like to enter the hobby with a full range of options, rather than doing something I'm not particularly interested in. "Get good" is usually used in the US to tell someone they haven't really got the intellect to learn a skill. That they should probably give up and leave.

Since it seems that nine tenths of every model are Tigers, for some reason, and because I've not -seen- any kits for Japanese tanks, or anything lighter than an American Sherman, and I'm told the major manufacturers seem to have no interest therein, I thought I'd try asking about commissions. Just as someone in a Model Warship Club might ask for a source for a hull she doesn't have the tools to fabricate, or an RC warplane operator ask for a painter who can do that Austro-Hungarian lozenge pattern he'd like to use on the wings of his favorite mount.

When she (a talented seamstress) was looking to have my favorite version of the Indiana Jones jacket made or acquired, nobody told her "buy a Member's Only Jacket, see if you like it, then take it apart to see how it looks." The response was, "yes, this is a learned skill: leatherwork has to be learned over time, and you're trying to do something special for his thirtieth birthday. Here, these suppliers make accurate jackets, and if you want to level up, it's a good place to start."

When I started miniatures gaming, nobody said, "well, you should start out by casting your own miniatures, really. Then you'll appreciate the real root of what makes this hobby fun."

I 3D sculpt ironclads. The skill doesn't come overnight. It isn't something that can simply be done in a weekend. I have learned several technical skills.

None of that solves my desire to, when for once having money, wanting to procure a gift for someone. Nor does it solve the problem of time. I don't have time to tear apart a Tiger, learn the electronics, and then whip

My impression, if I understand it, from responses is thus:

* Buying a RTR tank from Heng Long, Torro, etc., or a kit, is fine. Nobody will look askance.

However
* Commissioning someone else to build a tank for which there is presently no commercial kit is right out.

I apologize for having offended some of you, and will hereto keep my questions to myself.

Others might not be offended, but I am.

I seem to have been singled out for your tirade.

All I offered was that there is a model of the tank you require, but you may want to think about an alternative in the short term. I understand that you don’t want a Tiger, as I never wanted one for the same reason. (Although I have one, and enjoyed the build). You asked so many different questions across different sections that I don’t think you know what you want.

Still, as my partner said, after reading your reply “sounds like a rich American, who has throw a mardy because he cannot get what he wants when he wants.

I hope someone is able to accommodate your requirements and you get the model your partner requires.

This is a helpful and friendly site, where I personally have learned a lot and I hope to continue to learn. I wish I had kept my council and not offered assistance from the perspective of an inexperienced and average modeller.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The biggest single drawback to this or anyother on line Forum is that without seeing the features of others misunderstandings are almost inevitable, Throw in the international nature of our own Forum it amazes me that we have some very good relationships so let us accept that there was a misinterpretation and move on.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Sorry folks, I think I'm going to have to lock this thread to nip it in the bud, before it gets personal/too personal.
And also send out the odd PM to clarify things.

But I will add my take on things.
I have a literal ton of tank parts to build various models that I'm gradually collecting. I think I'm quite competent to take on such tasks, even though painting scares me a tad.
Anyway, I wanted a bulletproof tank that run well for my grandson. At the time the new, mostly metal unpainted and without electronics, Taigen M4A3 (76) had just been released, perfect I though, so I purchased one from Forgebear. Only one problem, I was rather busy at the time, and I wanted my grandson to have the tank sooner, rather than later, like, before he's 96.
Anyway, I paid Ian to sort the electronics, fitting an IBU2 ultimate with a Fly Sky controller, then Ian passed the tank to Frankie for me to paint in his usual style. Obviously I paid for all work.

I can see after reading all this thread that Mithras is in a similar boat to what I was in, and would like the specific requested model in a sooner rather than later time frame. Sadly, the particular model isn't so common, and Christmas may be a tad ambitious time frame for such a model to be built.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

P.S.
Thank you Shaun for those last wise words :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Questions”