StuG Ausf B 1/35

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
jaxenro
Recruit

Re: StuG Ausf B 1/35

Post by jaxenro »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:59 pm I admire the clever resourcefulness of home-made tools to solve a problem. Bravo!
One step up from a monkey but it works 🤣
jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

Slow progress I added the front armor plate and gear covers to the hull tub. The front axles are 1/16 tube and ride in bushings made from 3/32 tube at each side and the center. Currently the axle is one piece to set the center bushing correctly (I set it in a bed of epoxy putty) but I will cut in the center and trim to length. I have a set of miniature worm gears on order to turn the power from the motors sideways that will be super glued to the axles. Still working out which power plant to use but I have some coreless motors with integral gearbox that I think will work well

Gear Cover

Split Axle
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Neat stuff: I will be interested in photos of the transmission as you develop it, for I am trying to get straight in my head how the worm gear will be on the axle and a gear on the motor shafts. I would expect the other way around, but I am quite ignorant about these matters. Carry on, dauntless one!
jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

I may end up going the other way as I get everything and review it. I am going in fits and starts because I keep ordering new parts and waiting for them to come in

I am ordering extras though like 10 worm gears instead of 2 so next time I will have them. Planning a Panzer III J and a StuG III D next
jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

So this is my current thinking for the drivetrain. The motor is coreless with an integral gearbox and the worm and spur gears are plastic. I haven't decided which will go where but one will be on the axle and the other on a shaft from the motor. The dimensions of the motors are small enough to fit so it should be almost a direct shot and I think powerful enough to make it work. As usual it's all on order so I need to wait for it to arrive to finish it off

Motors
Actual Rated Input Voltage: 6V-12V
Base RPM: 77RPM
Length: 30mm
Diameter: 16mm

Spur Gear
Modulus: 0.5M
Teeth: 10
Length: 8mm
Diameter: 5.5mm

Worm Reduction Gear
Modulus: 0.5M
Length: 10mm
Diameter: 6mm
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

"Base RPM: 77RPM" Did I read that correctly: 77 RPM? Wow! I wonder if there are any such motors with enough power for 1/16 AFVs? I like my tanks moving at a crawl, sneaking up on those nasty bad guys.
jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

Built in gearbox brings the rpm way down
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

:eh: Duh! I should have realized that!
jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

Front axles are done and the worm gears are finished. Final glueing will wait until I have the spur gears set on the motor/gearbox so I can get it ll lined up correctly
speaking of motors they arrived and the fit looks perfect. I need to build some sort of mount to the gears line up and the motors are fixed in place

Return to “Smaller Scale Military”