StuG Ausf B 1/35

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
jaxenro
Recruit

StuG Ausf B 1/35

Post by jaxenro »

Starting a new project based on the Dragon kit

So far I have the following coming

Plan to use components from 35rctank

Kit
Fenders
Photo Etch
Shock Absorbers
Track
jaxenro
Recruit

Re: StuG Ausf B 1/35

Post by jaxenro »

Looking at the instructions my plan is to replace the torsion bars with something sturdy with enough flex to let the suspension work. I also plan to use the Aber shocks so they at least slide up and down and replace the "magic tracks" with the modelkasten workable tracks

Looking for a suitable motor gearbox combo to fit was thinking one from one of the Tamiya 1/35 tanks might do

The plan is to replicate the StuG from StuG Abt 226

I am a novice to this RC Tank thing so if you see any flaw in my plans please point them out. As we all know no plan survives first contact so they are subject to change

jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

I purchased this to power it based on the diagram it should just fit the hull is 51mm this is 50mm wide

jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

Question: The gear box is basically 1:50 or 1:200 which do I want? I would like scale speed
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

The speeds can be calculated mathematically given the motor speed, gear tooth counts, drive sprocket diameter and then a scale ratio. The calculations would be interesting. However, I would build the chassis and running gear and then try the 1:200 reduction to see if I like it. I find "the slower, the better" to be my math-free preference.
Last edited by Herr Dr. Professor on Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

I thought of the whole calculate it out thing but asking seemed easier :)

It might be moot will see when I get it. From what I can tell the 58:1 option has two shaft locations and the 200:1 has one further back and higher up. It might end up being shaft location over optimum gear ratio
jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

As I have been waiting for the parts to arrive in the mail I am working out the details. I figure there are three main areas to address to start:

1. I need to convert the suspension to work

2. I need to modify the wheels to turn

3. Propulsion

For starters I checked the sizing of the Tamiya gearbox. It fits but only amidships (if that's a word for tanks) so I will basically need to center it in the hull and bring the power to the front sprockets. Oddly the center axle (C) goes all the way through which means the sides don't act independently but by cutting it in the middle I resolved that. Now each side works completely on it's own. Also since I wanted to use the 200:1 ratio I didn't need the front gears so I cut the box down, cut the axle in the middle, and assembled it. The shorter gearbox also gives me more room in the hull. Now all I need is a way to transfer power from the two front outside gears to the sprockets

Last edited by jaxenro on Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Since I am unfamiliar with the Tamiya gearbox and have no experience with 1/35 RC tanks (or any 1/35 RC), I was hoping someone with experience would jump in to help. I, too, wonder how you will extend the drive forward to the sprockets. Tiny drive belts come to mind. These are sometimes used in O Gauge steam engines, so maybe a search of O Gauge parts (evil bay, slamazon, etc. >:< ) would be a possibility.
jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

I’m not sure still researching options. I suppose a Tiger would have been easier or even a Sherman there just isn’t a lot of room in a StuG hull

I thought maybe a flexible shaft but an also looking at a different two motor setup that might fit
jaxenro
Recruit

Post by jaxenro »

I purchased two of these as well. I thought I might try them for size and if not at a minimum I get two spare mottors and a bunch more gears to play with

The tracks arrived yesterday. Two pins, the track, and a guide horn per link so about 750 parts in total. I started work on cleaning them up

Return to “Smaller Scale Military”