New member from Wales, UK

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here.
Notux
Recruit

New member from Wales, UK

Post by Notux »

Not much to say, just that I'm new to this hobby and I'm from Wales :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: New member from Wales, UK

Post by HERMAN BIX »

welcome along Mr Notux.
As long as you are not from :shifty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanelli_ ... ew_Zealand

Then I'm all for you !!!
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Hello Mr Notux, from the West Coast of Scotland, on the Cowel Peninsula. Your introduction is brief indeed. Do you have any tanks you could tell us about? Or what tanks are you considering? There is a wealth of information and advice on here. We sometimes go off topic, and there may even be some gentle ribbing, but none of it is with malice.
Notux
Recruit

Post by Notux »

No tanks yet, I've been going through the forums trying to find a good tank for a beginner and also a vendor to buy it from, any suggestions?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Notux wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:05 am No tanks yet, I've been going through the forums trying to find a good tank for a beginner and also a vendor to buy it from, any suggestions?
Where you are located, my vote is Forgebear Tanks. UK.
As for which tank, its really about what you are interested in, and what kind of hardware takes your fancy.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Welcome to the forum Notux from another Welsh member.
I'd second Mr Bix recomendation for forgebear tanks, excellent service from Dave and Julie and they'll always try and help you out.
If you just want to dip your toe in and test the waters at the beginning though you could always look for a cheapish second hand tank on one of the market places to tinker about with and see how you enjoy the hobby from there :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Given your location, I too endorse Forgebear, or Andrew Haya, who is based in Wales. Avoid Tank zone, if they are still open, and Nitrotek, who are also based in Wales. As for a good starter tank. Most people seem to opt for a Tiger, T34, or Sherman. They seem to be reliable runners, although I have no experience with the T34, or Sherman. The T72 also just get on with it. It pains me to say avoid big modern tanks, like the Abrams, or Challenger as they have track retention issues. Again I have no experience with the Leopard.
Notux
Recruit

Post by Notux »

Well I wanted something British, a centurion or a challenger, 1:16 or 1:18

By hardware do you mean the difference between the normal and pro versions of a particular tank?

I'm a newbie so be prepared for dumb questions lol
Notux
Recruit

Post by Notux »

Meter rat wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:16 am Given your location, I too endorse Forgebear, or Andrew Haya, who is based in Wales. Avoid Tank zone, if they are still open, and Nitrotek, who are also based in Wales. As for a good starter tank. Most people seem to opt for a Tiger, T34, or Sherman. They seem to be reliable runners, although I have no experience with the T34, or Sherman. The T72 also just get on with it. It pains me to say avoid big modern tanks, like the Abrams, or Challenger as they have track retention issues. Again I have no experience with the Leopard.
Thanks for the advice mate, I'll look into those
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Notux wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:24 am Well I wanted something British, a centurion or a challenger, 1:16 or 1:18

By hardware do you mean the difference between the normal and pro versions of a particular tank?

I'm a newbie so be prepared for dumb questions lol
Haya do a Centurion, and a Chieftain. I have had lots of experience with the Challenger, and getting it to run well. My advice would be to get a base Challenger and upgrade, as most of the running gear gets thrown in the bin. Just make sure any model you buy has steel gear boxes, although Mr Tank-a lot, on here has even proven that a plastic box can be reliable. You can PM me about the Challenger.
viewtopic.php?t=35630
viewtopic.php?t=32250

Return to “Introduce Yourself”