Tamiya 1/25th Chieftain

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
Danf1275
Recruit

Tamiya 1/25th Chieftain

Post by Danf1275 »

This is my first RC tank, having previously been into RC cars, crawlers and Helicopters. It is also my first foray into 'modelling' since childhood.

Decided to go for the Chieftain as I wanted something I could enjoy building as well as driving, but didn't think I could run to a 1/16th for a first build. Tamiya kits are always an occasion when opened.

Rather than sticking with non proportional 27mhz Actom system, I also purchased a cheap 2.4ghz set and speaker from a 1/35th Sherman, more of which later.

Sadly, I didn't think to get any piccys as I went along, but as there didn't seem to be many of these on forums, I thought I'd add some finished images. Tank is pretty much as box art, other than side stripes, which I'm not yet sure about adding.

As mentioned, it is currently fitted with Actcom 2.4ghz controls with sound, which works very well, other than turret only rotating one way, which is annoying. Vendor gave me a partial refund, which is fair enough, but replacements are very rare.

To sort this, I currently have a CSC-11 and LNS boards on order from Clark, the other advantage being that I will be able to use my DX6i and perhaps a Lipo pack from one of my helis.

Generally a nice little tank to build, and a good into to quite an addictive hobby.

Cheers,

Dan.
I love the smell of burnt smoker in the morning
jackeb
Lance Corporal

Re: Tamiya 1/25th Chieftain

Post by jackeb »

Nice tank. I'm rather fond of the old Chieftain and have been considering this kit myself. A work college of mine used to drive a Chieftain and describes it as being under powered (engine wise) but packing a mighty punch. If I was to make one he would be an invaluable source of info!
Hmm I better leave it there as I'm talking my self into a purchase and I've already blown this months budget!
Danf1275
Recruit

Post by Danf1275 »

Got new controls fitted and can now use my DX6i and a Lipo

http://youtu.be/2i4645i8-SY

Quite impressed with the setup - use of the Lipo gives the tank real power.
I love the smell of burnt smoker in the morning
Andy in Cheltenham
Corporal

Post by Andy in Cheltenham »

:thumbup: I had this as a static kit in the 70's. It's a shame it is a model of the prototype Chieftain. Good little runner though.
puramo
Lance Corporal

Post by puramo »

Thanks for this post I think you did an excellent job
BC: I couldn't do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?

Return to “Smaller Scale Military”