Super Smoker smoke unit

Smoke creating devices!
thwobble
Recruit

Super Smoker smoke unit

Post by thwobble »

Well, I finally got around to fitting the Asiatam proportional smoke unit that I posted questions about (thanks again to those who answered) and guess what? The pump worked great in conjunction with the motor speed BUT NO SMOKE!
Got back to the supplier who said both the Heng Long and the Asiatam were not reliable and suggested I look for an alternative. I did this and read glowing reports about a Super Smoker that once was available on RC Tank Warfare. Does anyone know who made these and where I can get one? I'm sure there are many tankers out there, apart from myself, who would love to have a RELIABLE and LONG LASTING smoke unit for their vehicles!
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Re: Super Smoker smoke unit

Post by Tankbear »

Saxondog knows who made them, problem is shipping from the states to UK is expensive.

It is possible to upgrade the smokers yourself. Simple replace the element with a 15ohm wire wound resistor (other ones will just break quickly with the heat). You could reuse the wick, or best currently known material is kevlar string (used by fire dancers etc as soaks up the flamable liquid and very resistant to the heat) and if you want more smoke add a small fan to side of the smoke oil tank to blow more air in.

And that's it, you can buy all the parts for less than a tenner and if you build it yourself you can fix it if it breaks (none of mine have in 6 months)

Hope that helps.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

Do you guys some times think we as modelers are kind of missing the point here. He fits an Asiatam proportional smoke unit only to find that it doesn't work.
Gets told they are a load of rubbish any way. Go look some where less for some thing better. We (as in us modelers) in turn say , go make your own, they work.
Come on guys if we can do it..What the hell are Asiatam and such like..... doing. May be they need to employ some of our member to get a product that works.
If they as a company can't get there products to work. They can do one of 2 things. Redesigning the product, or take it off the market.
We as modelers should do more over thing like this. Instead of well its ok..i will try and get it to work. Or worse still it just ends up in the bin,and that company with your money in its pocket.
Oh and btw i bet your money just worked just fine for them ;)

Rant over.
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Agree did expect more from Asiatam version, but it basically the same as the HL one inlcuding faults except the pump speed changes. And the information to make it better is readily available on public forums does raise the question why not better to start with.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Here's the deal,I will ask Dan. If he no longer is making the units I have all the pecs the parts list,wiring diagrams everything. And mine is two years old and works excellent. Dan is an excellent modle maker,his ships are some of the finest I have ever seen,If he did an HMS VICTORY you guy would think the original designer had build it.

But the smokers I think got to be a hassle,and Dan is a super nice guy.If he approves the arrangement. I will post the information,hell Dan may just do it himself,he is a member of this forum. So I shall send him a PM,and follow up with you guys ASAP. They do work,and he developed a unit after the model I have that is half the size,mine are the same shape as the rear hatch on the KT,and about 20mm tall.

So let's see guys,it can be done with some common tools and a supplier in the UK. Seems to me the best way around the shipping and VAT is to build them for yourselves. cheers Blake
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
streetfighterjeff
Sergeant

Post by streetfighterjeff »

sounds like a plan blake, would be easier to make ourselves, but i have the electrical know how of a spaniel.lol be nice to get rid of the noise from the HL smoke pump though. it's louder than the engine.
jeff
only here for a good time, not a long time
HL King Tiger
Torro Tiger I
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

streetfighterjeff wrote:be nice to get rid of the noise from the HL smoke pump though. it's louder than the engine.
jeff
I was going to put twelve together and see if it sounded like a v12 lol.

Blake, I was thinking of putting a tutorial together. So if Dan doesn't want to let me know and I put something together.

Ian
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
caddyshack
Sergeant

Post by caddyshack »

To do a tutorial on it, (which is posted in other threads "how to"). Is to be building one from scratch. This wasn't about a scratch build ,but to buy a ready made unit that works.Some people just don't want to mess with electrics.
Big thank to sax on this. Who said he will be send Dan the wiring spec's over to him.
Lets hope that all you who love your smokers, gets a opportunity to buy an Asiatam unit that works, and stays working for more than 5mins.
Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on.

~~~Winston Churchill~~~
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Guys their is an old thread on RCU in the tanks section where me.Dan AND Normond started this adventure. We did just about every thing we could to improve the original unit.

The problem always goes back the the heater element, and that was the issue of reliable.The noise issue is an easy fix,remove the pump assembly,replace with small fan,same two wires that powered the pump motor power the fan.

Look in the Photo,The H/L smoker I first fitted to my Asiatam Tiger has this mod.
componet tray 013.jpg
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Ok guys Here is the deal so far, Phil at RCTANKWARS has pulled the Smokers because of supply issues.I can say no more about that. What I can say is together me and Phil are trying to work out a solution,what this means to you guys is one way or another you will have a smoker that works. It may be a kit where you can improve what you have or something similar.

I say this because I UNDERSTAND some guys are not equipped to create the wiring circuitry and the other parts. So I am trying to find a solution.

It will take a few days,but I will resolve this as best I can,these units work,and they just keep working. If that is something needed,then i will do my best. cheers Blake

Return to “Smokers”