Der HL IDLER WHEEL bearing upgrade.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Herr Fritz
Lance Corporal

Der HL IDLER WHEEL bearing upgrade.

Post by Herr Fritz »

Here is what I have before I close it all up for good.

I'm using 5 X 9mm self lubricating brass bearings on the inside wheels as I did not want to change the structure of the existing housing or loose any strength / integrity plus smaller bearings were to small and thin to be useful. Then a styrene locking ring gets glued in to place and sanded even.

Because its a tank and not a race car or aircraft... I figure there would be no harm in using self lubricating Bearings.

The outer bearings are 5 X 12mm and they fit just perfectly inside the out wheel half.

The wheels themselves lock everything in place.

The shaft is a 5mm od axle for RC cars. Later I will make my suspension system that they will screw into.

You can tell what wheels I sanded clean from the ones not.

Thats it for now.
Attachments
Barings.jpg
"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" Mark Twain.
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Re: Der HL IDLER WHEEL bearing upgrade.

Post by Dietrich »

Hi Herr Fritz,
Nice idea :) , but does no-one make bearings that are small enough to use the standard axles ? ? I look forward to seeing your suspension modification.
Alb.
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
Herr Fritz
Lance Corporal

Post by Herr Fritz »

Yes they do but to fin inside the inner wheel part they were to thin and to tiny/flimsy to be workable or any good.....I would have had to use at least three in a row.

When you say 'standard' axle do you mean the screw that held the Idler wheel in place to begin with? Mine was the type that had the black 3/4 inch long screw hols the Idlers loosely in place....even tightened mine had so much 'wobble' on the right side the tracks would slide over a notch.
Herr Fritz
Lance Corporal

Post by Herr Fritz »

After going over some options and what ifs.....I have decided that the bearing package and a very firm and much improved axle connection to the chassis is good enough...after all the spring loaded buggy wheels have enough flex to take serious pressure off the idler wheels und the drive system.

No on to some other fun stuff!

Return to “General Discussion”