M26 Turret rotation,help needed

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Von kraftwerk
Lance Corporal

M26 Turret rotation,help needed

Post by Von kraftwerk »

can anyone help,I want to modify turret rotation on my Tamiya M26,I'm hoping to find a plastic ring gear with internal teeth and inner diameter of anywhere between 108-112mm the 108-109 is ideal possibly 108mm,the larger size might do,so would be grateful for any help or advice thanks
Saxondog
Captain

Re: M26 Turret rotation,help needed

Post by Saxondog »

These two pictures show the ring gear installed in a King Tiger,the problem is the fit must be tight and the turret has added weight to prevent the turret from jumping out of the hull. Mine works very well and is fitted with less than a mm of play between the guide rail and the turret ring.
Henschel King Tiger Turret Ring Gear Modification 005.JPG
Henschel King Tiger Turret Ring Gear Modification 003.JPG
The next series is the Panzer IV Ring Gear and it is in my Porsche King Tiger but the lower hull is the same.
Porsche King Tiger Turret Ring Modification 001.JPG
Porsche King Tiger Turret Ring Modification 006.JPG
Porsche King Tiger Turret Ring Modification 008.JPG
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

This mod can work but is difficult to build,another member tried and was nothing but a headache. This picture shows the guide ring,this ring is a tight fit to keep the turret from crawling out when the gear drive for rotation is in motion.

If the guide is not tight the turret will crawl out,of bounce out as well.
Henschel King Tiger Turret ring gear guide 006.JPG
Von kraftwerk
Lance Corporal

Post by Von kraftwerk »

this mod looks ideal in the roomy KT I had 2 tamiyas in the 80's so I know you got a lot of room in there,but alas the M26 the speaker box at the rear and it only just clears the turret with the original Tamiya set up,I'm thinking of getting a new hull top,and salvaging the detail bits of the old one,thats what I was trying to avoid by doing the mod,the problem I've got is I reamed out the turret apeture too much now it jams worse than the problem I was trying to cure,
Von kraftwerk
Lance Corporal

Post by Von kraftwerk »

Hi Sax hope your all get through the weather over there,Ive studied your posts and the M26,I cant see there being enough room that hull top is too low,I'm going to get a new hull top and salvage the details of old one,or get the sprues if it does'nt cost too much,I'll need sprues C,D,E x2,and G,it gives me an excuse to remodel the whole thing this time I'm going for a US Marines version,do peddinghaus decals come with placement guide?
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

peddinghaus decals usualy come with a guide and a paint guide as well
ice
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Wayne,
Jason's store is most likely the best optionhttp://cgi.ebay.com/9335374-Tamiya-1-16-M26-Pershing-Upper-Hull-/370467107232?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item56418f71a0#ht_601wt_1270" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://shop.ebay.com/jr-rc/m.html?_nkw= ... m270.l1313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you get things worked out,not sure what help I could be at this point but if you need my help you know how to contact me, best of luck I'm working on the lower hull upgrades on my King Tiger,hopefully one day I can actually drive this Tank,Blake
Von kraftwerk
Lance Corporal

Post by Von kraftwerk »

Thanks for your help,I gonna get some bits for this baby and get her going again,

Return to “General Questions”