homemade 3.1 gearboxes

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

homemade 3.1 gearboxes

Post by tiger205 »

hi guys
            this is how i done my 3.1 gear boxes, its cheap to do, you dont need to buy aftermarket gears, you use all HL gears. nigel and myself did our gearbox conversion at the same time, our two efforts our similar but quite different, unfortunatly i cant find the photos of nigels so you could compare. the main differences in our 'boxes is i cut and welded the motor mounts on the gearbox casings nigel didnt, here is a link to PK where i 1st posted this conversion http://www.rc-panzerketten-forum.com/wb ... 4a31cee95f as you can see from these photos nigel an my boxes are a little different.
right, the 1st thing is to strip the boxes and remove the support bar at the back of the boxes drill the hole out so it can take a bush, you may need to slightly altar the position of the hole so the gears mesh properly, i got nigel to solder all the bushes in for me, this does make a big difference, after this i cut of the motor mounting points and welded them farther back on the casings and i put a little gusset in on the tall motor mounting point for extra strengh, the lower motor mount i cut it out and turned it around then welded it in. this may sound daunting to some, to cut and weld, but it is really very easy, you can see from the photos where the cuts and welds are. now the fun bit :-[, the way i made my 3.1 gear was to cut up stock HL gears and join the relevant gears on one shaft, the photos show what gears i cut up and used, origanally i glued the gears on the shaft, but this soon proved unreliable, they kept slipping under load, so the solution was to drill and pin them on, which is much easier than it sounds, once i done this i put the boxes back together, the 2nd outing my Tiger was hungry and promptly lunched the gears in one box, the problem was i had not aligned and spaced the gears properly, so i got nigel to do this for me, this made a hugh difference. my boxes are similar to the asiatam boxes in lay out ( i have a pair of asiatam boxes).
well what are they like?, much much better than the asiatam boxes (and cheaper) with the jamara motors these boxes are just brilliant, if my Tiger can grip the surface it will go up it, i have posted video clips of her on this site else where, and you can see how steep a gradient they can go up wth no trouble.
i have seen other 3.1 conversions on the forum we wont mention, and i'm sure they work well, but there is no need to buy after market gears which cost money, the way i have done it does require welding , and if you dont want to or cant do this, have a look at the link above, and see how nigel done his.
the ratios on the 3.1 gears seem to be perfect, more by luck than anything, i just looked at the gears and thought those look right, so i used them,(very high tec' ;D) the only downside to my boxes, is the bushes, in the future i will be taking them out and replacing them with proper bearings. thats about it really, if you have any queries let me know, iv'e probably missed something(i'm going senile)

Tony 8)
Last edited by tiger205 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Re: homemade 3.1 gearboxes

Post by [ICE]monkey »

very nice mod ,and a  good  clear write up .
all the best,ice
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place
grompix
Sergeant

Post by grompix »

Excellent work Tony. Thanks for the writeup.

Chris ;D
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tiger205 »

thanks for the comments guys, hopefully others will be encouraged to have a go, i done it this way because i'm a bit of a skinflint at times, plus i wanted to do it as cheap as possible, and i think this is probably the cheapest  way to do it, and it works brilliantly

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hello,
      I have read on 'another forum' a very easy and simple way to convert to 3-1 gearboxes,especially if you have replaced your standard plastic gearboxes with metal ones, then you have all the parts that you need. I have recently done this conversion to my 'Good' Tiger 1 and it is absolutely brilliant ! Great speed reduction and loads more torque even on standard motors !!!
    Although you have to re-use one of your plastic gears it is at the 'top' of the drive-train and so gets very little actual load applied to it !!      If its ok I will attach the link here PLEASE IGNORE THE FIRST 7 POSTS until it gets down to a guy called 'Bubbajoexx'  after that it gets REALLY interesting and VERY easy to do !!!!!  http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8142064/anchors_8142064/mpage_1/key_gear%252Creduction/anchor/tm.htm#8142064
                          Happy Drilling :)
                            Alb.
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished

Return to “Tips and Tricks”