Paint Storage

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
Saxondog
Captain

Paint Storage

Post by Saxondog »

A problem that I keep trying to resolve is storage of my many paint bottles. I always have the paints stored indoors not in th shop outside, I have flipped the bottles routinely and try to shake the older bottles to keep them from separating. I have always made sure the lids and bottle neck are clean and no paint between the lid and bottle top but the settling issue continues to be a problem.

So what process for storage do other members use, now my paints are Testors Enamel Model-master series and I understand acrylics are a different issue but in general could we discuss this issue?

Saxondog
dsvirus
Lance Corporal

Re: Paint Storage

Post by dsvirus »

I always tend to mix more paint than I need when I am mixing my paints into a suitable colour, or perhaps thinning them down to the right consitancy. I keep the paint in small glass jam jars that I have collected over the years, my girlfriends friends all collect them for me!

I find it is easier to keep an eye on the paint as I can see it better. I do use acrylics though so that may be different. Are you having problems with your paint?
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Since this post I have started the switch to Acrylic paint, enamels have a bad habit of drying,but the real issue is the Matte varnish drying after the can has been opened. I tried using a glass jar and it helps but the varnish will collect a skin on top in time. As for the Tamiya paints they keep very well,and I am up to 12 jars of paint to date.

I am replacing about 40 bottles of enamel although many are duplicate colors or varying shades of one color. So far I have an armour color collection of the five major German Colors, and on the other hand the ship model colors,hull red,flat tan,navy blue,navy gray,and flat white all for the USS Arizona Build I have yet to start,I have a post on that build though. The 1/200 scale kit is excellent and well worth the money. Paint storage still is the topic so how about it guy's?

How do we prevent paint from going bad,drying out,scaling,gummy bear syndrome,or just plain mush. Paint does cost money,and the lost paint is a waste,so how do we prevent this waste?
LMN118
Private

Post by LMN118 »

I think it is inevitable to be honest.

I don't have any real method for storage, much like food once opened must be consumed in 30 days. It is a waste, which is why I try to open little as possible, or try to do all the painting at once.

Even in a industry where we did a lot of paining (offshore parts) we suffered a fair amount of waste, dedicated paint and blast shops we worked with had the same issue.

Again, for smaller jobs we used aerosol cans as they have a much greater shelf life, where as if we were buying unmixed paint we tried to use as much of it at the same time, the rest was disposed of. Or given to the customer for touch ups.

At home, the only thing I really do is keep them out of the sun in an airtight container, not too difficult when they are buried under heaps of stuff and never used! :haha:
It is never just "one" tank!

Return to “Painting and Weathering”