PT 109 Model

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
Saxondog
Captain

PT 109 Model

Post by Saxondog »

I built this kit 19 years ago, and have another one still in the box. Lindberg produces this kit for RC conversion and at the time an upgraded drive package was offered as well. It's 1/32 scale and very fast with the dual drive. It has been a excellent runner. The other kit was found in an estate sale the local hobby shop purchased,their were two and knowing my interest sold me both kits which one went to e-bay and the other I kept. I would like to build the next one in a disruptive pattern used on these boats in the Med.

cheers Sax
PT-109 20 YEARS OLD 001.JPG
PT-109 20 YEARS OLD 002.JPG
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Re: PT 109 Model

Post by mcevoyi »

hi there sax

i have actualy got one of these sat in the loft still unbuilt ...

i am inspired !

iain
GreenAmphibian
Lance Corporal

Post by GreenAmphibian »

I have one also that I converted to a mid/late war boat.
Death smiles at everyone, Marines smile back!
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Hey Iain, I have the other unbuilt one as well. The PT BOAT MUSEUM is located 20 miles from my home, this is the archive records museum in Germantown,Tn. Operated by Buckley's Grand daughter. I have considered the Black,gray and white disruptive pattern used in the Mediterranean operations area. Have you ever seen these boats?

Perhaps we could build twins across the pond so to speak. The one in the picture has the upgraded dual drive package, 540's x 2 direct drive universal coupling with the better shafts and bigger props. It was a kit add-on and I was lucky to get it as the Lindburg drive system is a weak one for this big a boat.

GreenAmphibian do you have some pictures? I would like to see your boat. I will post some pictures of the camo scheme as I have the book around the house somewhere.

Here is the link to the Museum here. http://www.ptboats.org/01-0-05-about.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Saxondog on Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: spelling
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The after market shafts and couplers
The after market shafts and couplers
Here are some pictures,I had two in the box and 1 built 20 years ago. I recently sold one on e-bay, but the other is still boxed. Maybe we can have a build post and renew some interest in that section of the forum? cheers Guy's, Blake
PT109 MODEL 006.JPG
PT109 MODEL 002.JPG
The bulkhead was installed using the gasket sealer so I could remove it if I ever found the after market version.
The bulkhead was installed using the gasket sealer so I could remove it if I ever found the after market version.
I used Balsa as a Bulkhead/ engine mount
I used Balsa as a Bulkhead/ engine mount
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi Sax,

What an excellent model. I've not made a PT Boat apart from an old Airfix 1/72nd scale kit of some yrs ago. I've got plans for a PT boat which came free from model boats magazine. It's a balsa ply model but would make a nice addition to the collection. Is this plastic kit still available or is it a second hand flee-bay job?
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Their are several PT Boats available, most are RTR and cost 400-500us for a running boat, to me the detail is not worth that much money. The Lindberg kit is solid,can be upgraded and has good detail. The best part the cost, I sold one on e-bay for 40.00us. The hobby shop has this kit and the 1/125 3-foot long Blue Devil Destroyer which is another fine kit from Lindberg for RC conversion.

Check it out online as many sites offer the kit, I was given the destroyer 24 years ago by a close friend who gave it to me as a gift on my B-day. It is a fine kit and with the upgraded motors(same as the PT Boat) it really goes, and speed is a good thing as the hull is so narrow. cheers Saxondog
GreenAmphibian
Lance Corporal

Post by GreenAmphibian »

Here are some pictures of my efforts to modify the boat to a late mid war boat.
Attachments
Inside. All the lights work also.
Inside. All the lights work also.
new pt folder004.jpg
new pt folder003.jpg
new pt folder002.jpg
new pt folder001.jpg
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Post by dylan9391 »

What a great model and paint scheme. I'll have to have a route in my plans as I have got a couple of PT boat one an elco in a scale of 1/35. It would make a nice model that's for sure. I am sure that there is also a company that does a semi-kit of a PT boat with a fibreglass hull.
GreenAmphibian
Lance Corporal

Post by GreenAmphibian »

There is a great company in Calif. that does all kinds of Pt's with fiberglass hulls. Franks Mosquito Boat Hobbies is the name. They also did the semi-kit of my PBR in 1/12 scale. Great service and products.

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”