S&S HL Tanks ( Lights are flashing,tank will not turn on)

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
BIGMIG
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

S&S HL Tanks ( Lights are flashing,tank will not turn on)

Post by BIGMIG »

I just seen someone trying to get this problem solved on another forum(but the question slipped through the cracks due to an on-going battle there)              This info may be posted elsewhere here on the forum don't know,but won't hurt to post it again.

If you have good batterys in your transmitter and getting a nice green light on it,that part should be fine.If you have turned on your tank and the lights are flashing,radio is on,and you try to start the tank with the start button------------"NOTHING" ---It just sets there with the lights flashing.----I will bet you 98 percent of the time it is going to be a bad "Crystal" either the one in the tank or the one in the transmitter.And there is a remote chance it could be both,but most likely just one of them.If you have another working HL tank it is a simple matter of pulling the crystal from the "known" working tank and radio and then putting them in the non-working tank.My bet under those conditions is the tank is going to work.I have had this happen to me three times,and two of the times the tanks had been bought from the same seller.Not his fault,mabe just came off the line around the same time with a bad batch of crystals and was not test run at the factory.This seller was the one who steered me on to checking the crystals and helped solve my problem.I have since tried to pass this tip on for others to use also.                Reguards    BIGMIG  ;) ;)
Matdragon
2nd Lieutenant

Re: S&S HL Tanks ( Lights are flashing,tank will not turn on)

Post by Matdragon »

hey have are the crystals pushed in properly? i had the same problem and this was the simple solution once!! ;D ;D ;D

or are their dodgy connections in the tank for the receiver board or antenna, or in the controller?

cheers mate,

Matt
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tiger205 »

the crystals are the fault, nigel a mate of mine found this out, the hl crystals and tx board are hit and miss what you expect from hl really, its a case of suck it and see

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
fv432
2nd Lieutenant

Post by fv432 »

will agree on all the above check the fit of both crystals and if still no go get a new set  should work all the time ;)
sfstu
Recruit

Post by sfstu »

alternatively... ;)
when you press the key button to turn on tank and lights flash but nothing else happens, wait a few seconds before you press ANYthing and then see if it actually moves...
then check the VOLUME control knob...!!!
say you've fitted a new board, and been tinkering about inside of tank, you've spent ages being careful with your connections/soldering, everything looks right and you try to switch tank on...just flashing lights nothing else happening...you don't hear the engine start up noise and after spending hours getting it to this point you're thinking no way.. ??? you check the aerials on, the aerial lead inside tanks connected,etc etc but you don't check the volume knob..! who would..?  :P
well i didn't for at least half hour yesterday.. ::) ??? :o :( ;) and in the end..new board came with volume turned down and cos i didn't hear anything and lights were still flashing i pressed the start up button several times, so switching tank on and off...over and over..!!! ;D
how embarrassing...
worth a check guys  ;)
rgds stu
tiger205
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tiger205 »

ImageImagegood advice stu, weve all done something like that before, me, when i put all the elmod stuff in and tried starting my Tiger, ages later(hour)and alot of swearing, i realised i had'nt put the battery in the tank :-\ :-\ :-\
but dont tell anyone

Tony 8)

"Er, der kämpft und Lebend davonläuft,
Lebt um einem anderen Tag zu kämpfen".
[ICE]monkey
2nd Lieutenant

Post by [ICE]monkey »

BATTERY ,bugger thats why she wont start  i thought with the el mod prop you could get rid of all the h/l stuff ???,cheers tony ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
on second thoughts lets not go to Camelot ,it is a silly place

Return to “Tips and Tricks”