Gearbox for HL Sherman.

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
Desertrat99
Recruit

Gearbox for HL Sherman.

Post by Desertrat99 »

Looking for options on Sherman gearboxes. I have a HL lower hull for my Jumbo and the current gearboxes in there are horrible.

They are supposed to be HL steel with 380 motors and it barely drives even with full throttle on the radio.

Can Taigen/ Torro gearboxes be fit in there instead?

The photos are of what I have now.

Thanks.
IMG_7217.jpeg
IMG_7217.jpeg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 158 times
IMG_7216.jpeg
IMG_7216.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 158 times
IMG_7215.jpeg
IMG_7215.jpeg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 158 times
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Gearbox for HL Sherman.

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

They are well worn. I tend to use the hl premium gearboxes they are red with brass gears. They are quieter than Taigen and the ones I have are 2 years old with constant use at shows through out summer and still run well. But some do require part of the guard cutting away to get them in dependant on your transmission cover
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I have 3 sets of the ones I use 1 in a Sherman. 1 in a kv1. For some odd reason it’s fast. Too fast at full chat. I must change that on the board. 1 in my m10. To get them in the m10 and my a1 I had to cut the guard down because I used the resin 3piece transmission. I also use 2 different battery types and the are fine. 7.4 lipo and 11.1v lipo
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Are you sure it's the gearboxes? I've used the HL steel ones in afew Sherman's, even ones with metal running gear, even on grass no issues with power

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

Desertrat99
Recruit

Post by Desertrat99 »

tomhugill wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 6:46 pm Are you sure it's the gearboxes? I've used the HL steel ones in afew Sherman's, even ones with metal running gear, even on grass no issues with power

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk
It is not a radio, tracks, sprockets or electronics as I have checked those on a different tank using different gearboxes and those items all run fine. I even have metal bogies and roadwheels with wheel bearings and the adjustable idler.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

I'd be taking them out, giving them a good cleaning with Coleman fuel/naphtha/panel wipe/ white gas, whatever you want to call it to get the worst gunk off, then some carb cleaner. Check for binding with motors off the frames, then reinstall, a little light grease and see how they do.
In the photos, they do look at bit "rid hard n' puttaway wet".

Mke.
Desertrat99
Recruit

Post by Desertrat99 »

Exhibitedbrute wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 5:29 pm They are well worn. I tend to use the hl premium gearboxes they are red with brass gears. They are quieter than Taigen and the ones I have are 2 years old with constant use at shows through out summer and still run well. But some do require part of the guard cutting away to get them in dependant on your transmission cover
Which model number of those gearboxes do I need for a Sherman? I have been looking online and only seem to find those for other tanks?

I have the Ludwig cover for the Jumbo. Not an issue if I have to shave down the guard being removed as I had to do that for my Firefly.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I get mine from forgebear in the Sherman section

Return to “General Discussion”