zimmerite

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
the_asylum_wanderer
Recruit

zimmerite

Post by the_asylum_wanderer »

With some of the tamiya full option kits,  sheets of zimmerite are also supplied. For those who want to add zimmerite to thier models , there are several products that will do the job . The 2 pack miliput is one that some builders prefer, having got a working time of around 30 mins .
I prefer to use bathroom tile cement , its cheap , you can " chip " it to simulate areas that have broken away due to battle damage , it adhears well to most surfaces , and you can play with it for around 30 mins before it goes hard ( and there is not realy an answer to that ).
But haveing said all that , it absorbes paint well and look more like the real thing than most of the other products i have tried .

To get the desired effect practice on a peice of plasticard or similar , useing a comb with some of the tines removed at regular intervals , or any flat edge peice of wood like a lolly stick.

both tiger 1 and k/ts  had similar pattern zimmerite as did panthers ,. If you want to be a bit different , some jagdpanthers had the zimmerite in a square pattern .
Dont forget that in that towards the end of 44 , zimmerite was discontinued , as it was thought to pose a fire risk.
Zimmerite was applied to vertical sufaces to prevent magnetic mines being places on the hulls of tanks .

The coating was not used by allied tanks
Was die Hölle das war
STEINER
Sergeant

Re: zimmerite

Post by STEINER »

T. A. W.

Thats an interesting take on applying Zimm. I have used the milliput method, good but not as easy to do as it looks. Have you got any pics of the results of using wall tile paste. I would like to see the sort of finish it gives.

Cheers.

STEINER
Do you realize how much I hate this uniform and all it stands for. ( Cross of Iron )
littletankman
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by littletankman »

Hi yer I use milliput to and like Steiner says its not so easy . Ive done my Tiger /Kingtiger , stug and Panther to do and all have different styles .

Littletankman
HL: Tiger I sSS101 2nd Kompanie (212), HL: PzIII/Stug , Tam: sherman(fo) ,Tam: Sherman (vintage) ,Tam: Kingtiger(fo) ,Tam: Kingtiger (vintage,upgraded) , 21st Cent Sdkfz 251 (static at the mo ) / Son HL panther(altered) ,Son HL Tiger1 sSS101 1st Kompanie , HL Pz.IV , daughter HL Tiger1 sSS101 hopefu
the_asylum_wanderer
Recruit

Post by the_asylum_wanderer »

Was die Hölle das war
littletankman
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by littletankman »

Hi there thats come out very good mate well done.

Littletankman
HL: Tiger I sSS101 2nd Kompanie (212), HL: PzIII/Stug , Tam: sherman(fo) ,Tam: Sherman (vintage) ,Tam: Kingtiger(fo) ,Tam: Kingtiger (vintage,upgraded) , 21st Cent Sdkfz 251 (static at the mo ) / Son HL panther(altered) ,Son HL Tiger1 sSS101 1st Kompanie , HL Pz.IV , daughter HL Tiger1 sSS101 hopefu
STEINER
Sergeant

Post by STEINER »

Thanks for posting these pics. Very nice effect, on a great looking 1/6th Tiger. When I get the time, I will give it a try.

Cheers

STEINER 
Do you realize how much I hate this uniform and all it stands for. ( Cross of Iron )
edelweiss3945
Lance Corporal

Post by edelweiss3945 »

awesome effect m8!! so often you see large scale tanks like the tiger and kt cluttered with all sorts of unrealistic netting ladders and rubbish...... yours is superb. more pics please!!!
mein ehre heisst treue
tankman

Post by tankman »

Nice very nice indeed. The zimm looks fantastic
Alan
oz
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by oz »

thats the best zimm effect i have seen to date' excellent!!................oz

Return to “Tips and Tricks”