T-72 to Asad Babil?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Mithras
Corporal

T-72 to Asad Babil?

Post by Mithras »

I have been eyeing the HL T-72 after several recommendations. I wonder whether it would be possible to refit it as an Iraqi Asad Babil? I reckon the hardest bit would be to remove the ERA, and then of course I’d have to get my hands on a Dazzler…
"I have seen the first of the new tanks today. They are beautiful."
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: T-72 to Asad Babil?

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Have a hunt around for a NON-ERA version. That would be a lot less filling & patching to leave the ERA kit off. But check 100 times with the supplier that is NOT the one with the ERA.
As for the dazzler, Im certain you could come up with a suitable mock up made from plastic or what have you.
One thing us tank modelers have is the innate ability to locate and hoard odd bits & pieces that we may or may not use to overcome a build problem !!

https://www.rchighperformancehobbies.co ... ttle-tank/
like this one.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Fantastic, Herman! You are a gentleman and a scholar! Wasn't even aware they were made without ERA at some point. But on the other hand, I've only recently started to go down this rabbithole.
- Annibale "Electric Beard" Bergonzoli, upon the first delivery of M11/39s to Libya, 1940.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Of course, I’m still not sure whether I should be collecting for IR or airsoft, which might prove problematic.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

The T-72 is a nice HL tank with loads of room in the hull for moving stuff around, adding stuff. Pretty simple suspension. It was my first modern HL tank ( version 6.0 so not the most cutting edge), and by modern I mean modern HL, and I was really impressed with its controllability compared to the older stuff. Search out the regular T72 with no ERA blocks, but you might need to hunt around a bit.
Mike.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Mithras wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:46 pm Of course, I’m still not sure whether I should be collecting for IR or airsoft, which might prove problematic.
wHILe not 100% matchedto other systems, the new H/Ls do both IR and BB.
They are compatible with the Tamiya battle system but dont react exactly the same.
If you are not involved with purists, that should do.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Fantastic. Thank you!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ciao, Mithras: I have boucoup* BB tanks, and they can be fun (using better quality BBs than come with the RTR tanks), but I prefer IR with barrel recoil. And the relatively newer smoking guns are great fun to watch.
*Boucoup translates as "shockingly too many" to almost any woman who sees them and "just about right" to me.
Mithras
Corporal

Post by Mithras »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:44 am Ciao, Mithras: I have boucoup* BB tanks, and they can be fun (using better quality BBs than come with the RTR tanks), but I prefer IR with barrel recoil. And the relatively newer smoking guns are great fun to watch.
*Boucoup translates as "shockingly too many" to almost any woman who sees them and "just about right" to me.

Seems like they’d both be fun, just wanted to make sure I was compatible. That said,at least Heng Long is both, yeah?

I have entirely too many miniatures. And many of those are tanks;)
Last edited by Mithras on Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Heng Long are both BB and IR compatible. I believe they will work also with Tamiya, but some of the features of Tamiya IR will not work. The IR systems are not to good on range outside, especially in bright sunlight.

Return to “General Questions”