Need advice on Atak Model's Zimmerit

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Champagne
Recruit

Need advice on Atak Model's Zimmerit

Post by Champagne »

Greetings all, I'm starting work on a 1/16 Tamyia Panther G converted to a captured French Panther called "Dauphine". I ordered a set of Atak model's zimmerit for the Panther and need advice on what kind of adhesive I should use to apply the zimmerit would regular old super glue work? Any advice is welcome.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Need advice on Atak Model's Zimmerit

Post by tomhugill »

Champagne wrote:Greetings all, I'm starting work on a 1/16 Tamyia Panther G converted to a captured French Panther called "Dauphine". I ordered a set of Atak model's zimmerit for the Panther and need advice on what kind of adhesive I should use to apply the zimmerit would regular old super glue work? Any advice is welcome.
Super glue works fine but makes for a slightly higher stress application as you need to be spot on first time.

A 1 or 5 minute contact adhesive might be a little less stressful!

Sent from my SM-S901B using Tapatalk

gorehound
Private

Post by gorehound »

I use a two part epoxy such as Zap Z-Poxy 5 minute (other brands are availble). As Tom says, it gives you a chance to move the zimmerit panels around until you get a good fit and allows you also to remove any air pockets trapped behind the zimm which will cause bulges and poor adhesion. Zuper glue is useful once the epoxy has set to allow you to run it along any edges which may need a little extra bonding.

I recently put it on a Initial King Tiger I am working on and put a little bit of decscription in the text along with pics so take a look in the Other Builds section if you are interested.

Hope this helps.
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Smaller parts - gel supergle. Big parts - two part epoxy.
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Post by Panzermechaniker »

I asked Atak what glue they recommended and they replied with Migs Ultra Glue. Worked fantastic on both my Tamiya King Tiger and JP IV/70.

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/auxiliary ... -glue.html
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Panzermechaniker wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:30 pm I asked Atak what glue they recommended and they replied with Migs Ultra Glue. Worked fantastic on both my Tamiya King Tiger and JP IV/70.

https://www.migjimenez.com/en/auxiliary ... -glue.html
PVA?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

Seems to be PVA but it must be a different formulation than regular Elmer's white glue as it works great on the zimmerit sheets with plenty of time to allow for precise fitting. Both my models using it have been bashed around outside pretty hard and only tiny pieces have ever been knocked off from some pretty good contact which actually lends some realism as battle damage. I prefer using it to CA for attaching any slight lifting. Also have to say from my experience the Atak zimmerit kits are fantastic and well worth the money
Conan_the_Hungarian
Recruit

Post by Conan_the_Hungarian »

Used 5 minute epoxy and CA adhesive on mine. This is what the Atak instructions also tell you to do. Polyvinyl acetate will NOT cure completely on the inside of the application if you use it. It will also not hold well once it's completely dried (at least as far as this type of application goes).
Panzermechaniker
Lance Corporal

IMG_7573.jpeg
IMG_7573.jpeg (621.32 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
IMG_7570.jpeg
IMG_7570.jpeg (468.44 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
It was Atak themselves that recommended the Mig product to me and 2 years of heavy duty battle usage outside on these 2 Tamiya tanks has not proved them wrong, Both of them have spent extended hours in conditions from barely above freezing to bright sunshine and 30C + with no lifting. But if people prefer messing around with epoxy then fair enough
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Panzermechaniker wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:45 pm It was Atak themselves that recommended the Mig product to me and 2 years of heavy duty battle usage outside on these 2 Tamiya tanks has not proved them wrong, Both of them have spent extended hours in conditions from barely above freezing to bright sunshine and 30C + with no lifting. But if people prefer messing around with epoxy then fair enough
Well, that's good enough reconnection for my money. It must be a different formula to stick so well to plastic. Thank you :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Questions”