PDSGB/HL Dual Current Gearboxes

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

PDSGB/HL Dual Current Gearboxes

Post by tankme »

Now that I'm doing a lot of 3D printing, I've decided to try one of these PDSGB/HL Dual Current Gearboxes in my E-100 as it's a big tank. I want to make sure it has a lot of power to move the big, wide tracks. Since the E-100 was printed from one of Inkor's designs, it uses the short gearbox shafts (49mm).

So I've been looking for the 49mm, low position, and slow speed combo. I can't find it anywhere. I find the fast version in all the variants, but not the slow version. In fact, I have a fast version with a 59mm shaft, but I'm just not sure it will have enough torque because it is the fast version. I would also have to mill the shaft down to 49mm. If it ends up not having enough power, I'd be stuck with short shafts and a fast gearbox which is not a combo any tank uses as far as I know. I have a set of the dual 550 gearboxes that DKLM sells in their Leopard and Challenger tanks, but they don't quite fit in the space up front.

Does anyone know if they are still making the slow version?

Or, does anyone know of a dual gearbox mount that can mount a geared 550 motor like this one? I have this mount in my files as it comes with the T-26 tank. I may try and scale it up in my slicer to fit the 36GP-555 geared motors. I'd rather print it than try and make it out of metal as it would probably be more exact in it's measurements if I printed it.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various ... motors-d25
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: PDSGB/HL Dual Current Gearboxes

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Not sure if I'm being helpful.
Dave at forgebear has two sets of those Heng Long short shaft duel current gearboxes. One for the Panzer 3 and one for the Tiger 1, I'm guessing it is not just a case of shaft length, but also overall width, as both boxes are low 580 motor.
They both look identical, but are for two different tanks, which makes me wonder about overall width.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tankme

Post by tankme »

The overall width of the gearbox is the same for all versions. The height can be different due to whether or not the 550 motor is in a high mount or a low mount position.

I had looked at the ones from Dave, but they didn't say fast or slow in the description. I guess I'll have to contact him directly. I did see a post on DKLM RC's site that says, "The plastic housing version has been stopped production due to tooling issues." That of course applied to the PDGBS version so I'm not sure if HL is sourcing their from the same place or what.
Derek
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

tankme wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:11 am
Or, does anyone know of a dual gearbox mount that can mount a geared 550 motor like this one? I have this mount in my files as it comes with the T-26 tank. I may try and scale it up in my slicer to fit the 36GP-555 geared motors. I'd rather print it than try and make it out of metal as it would probably be more exact in it's measurements if I printed it.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/various ... motors-d25
You can ask the designer of the T26 if he wants to make it fit for you: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=10621
he is a very nice guy, did some update for me too when I asked nicely :D
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
tankme

Post by tankme »

Since this was my thread I'm going to resurrect it... :)

I'm curious, has anyone ever bought the plastic geared version of these gearboxes? If so, are all the gears plastic or just the final drive gears that are on the drive shafts? I know the metal ones are better, but just wondering if anyone has any experience with the plastic ones.
Derek
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

tankme wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:17 am Since this was my thread I'm going to resurrect it... :)

I'm curious, has anyone ever bought the plastic geared version of these gearboxes? If so, are all the gears plastic or just the final drive gears that are on the drive shafts? I know the metal ones are better, but just wondering if anyone has any experience with the plastic ones.
Hey, I had a set. All the gears you can see are plastic, I didn't go as far as complete disassembly but I've been told the differrntials are plastic too. Mine lugged my heavy metal lower challenger about ok but there was another chap used one in his kv and it didn't last well at all.

When I bought mine I think they were £35-40 on AliExpress but I've only seen them for over 100 since via a German retailer. I'd avoid them unless you're running a light weigh tank or very cheap
tankme

Post by tankme »

Tom,

I was looking at buying a couple just because they are really cheap on Ali now. Almost as cheap as just buying the mounting plate used to be. I figured if I had like 4 of them and nuked the gears in one, I could either find metal replacement gears, print new gears, or cannibalize them until none of them worked. I have like 3 of the metal versions I could swap around; although, I like to have a gearbox for each tank. The tanks I would use them in wouldn't be using metal running gear. More than likely they would be my 3D printed tanks.
Derek

Return to “General Questions”