Have you ever thought you were going crazy?

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Have you ever thought you were going crazy?

Post by tankme »

Because I have...lol

So I was in the middle of doing body work on the 1/10 Jagdtiger and I looked over to see the Bambu printer just sitting there idle. Then I remembered I had close to 30kg of PETG sitting in the closet I got on sale for $9/kg. I started looking for a set of tank STLs that I could scale up to 1/6th scale. I really wanted to do an Abrams, but I couldn't find any really excellent files setup for RC. I figured if I was going big and going to use that much filament, I needed to find the best files I could to make the best 1/6th scale tank I could. With my love of Russian armor, I settled for a classic KV-1. Even better, the files are free, highly detailed, and optimized for printing. All the bolt heads are printed separately so post processing the panels should be a breeze as they can be primed and flat sanded.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5069466

So now the printer is busy churning out 1/6th scale KV-1 parts. The engine deck shown had to be cut into 6 pieces to print on my printer, but oh boy this is going to be a project. Remember, the Jagdtiger in the background is 1/10th scale:

The biggest issues with scaling up a highly detailed tank like this is that the original designer used a lot of bearings. Bearing holes don't scale from 1/10th to 1/6th very well as in the bearings become non-standard sizes in the large scale. Rather than modifying the design, I will find bearings to fit the new openings or find/build sleeve bearings to fit the design. My girlfriend's Dad was a welder so I'm going to have him weld my tool post to the top slide of my metal lathe and then I can actually turn the adapters I need.

I feel nuts...lol
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Re: Have you ever thought you were going crazy?

Post by ColemanCollector »

Your Magnum Opus. Everybody needs to do one at least once in their lifetime.
Anticipating some tasty updates!
Mike.
clyde66
Recruit

Post by clyde66 »

Dereck,
You know from the other tank site I've printed this at 1/10 scale and will tell you here I am in awe at this tanks detail (His printed weld lines are better than I can do by hand) . I've printed his welds to use on other projects. I wish he would do another vehicle. Good luck with your enlarged obsession.
Paul
tankme

Post by tankme »

clyde66 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:48 pm Dereck,
You know from the other tank site I've printed this at 1/10 scale and will tell you here I am in awe at this tanks detail (His printed weld lines are better than I can do by hand) . I've printed his welds to use on other projects. I wish he would do another vehicle. Good luck with your enlarged obsession.
Paul
I like the fact he includes jigs for handle bending and bolt head placement. I couldn't ask for a better designed kit. Any issues from here on out will be on me since I decided to scale it up. Another side piece just came off the printer...and another one started...
Derek
tankme

Post by tankme »

The madness continues as the KV-1 grows...

Derek
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Holey moley!
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

That is very impressive work!
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

My goodness that is HUGE!
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
jee
Staff Sergeant

Post by jee »

Ow cool, you started a buildthread. This very interesting.
Regards,
Jaap :wave:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Goodgawdamighty! That there is BIG! Maybe you can pick up some money on the side towing broken down semis.

Return to “Larger Scale Military”