1/35 M113 APC with Telemetry?

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

1/35 M113 APC with Telemetry?

Post by modler »

Greetings, it has been a while since I posted here due to moving to a new location. My hobby shop was packed up and I had no access to my models for a good while, Well, now I am back with a new model shop room and have decided to do Telemetry in some Tank models.
1/35 M113 with all metal GB,twin 130 motor's. Currently has a nice UM DSMX radio system with Das Mikro ESC"s. I will upgrade the Receiver to a Ma-RX42-D+ Telemetry.
1/35 M113 with all metal GB,twin 130 motor's. Currently has a nice UM DSMX radio system with Das Mikro ESC"s. I will upgrade the Receiver to a Ma-RX42-D+ Telemetry.
IMG_9779.JPG (829.93 KiB) Viewed 934 times
Attachments
Yes this 1/72 scale Audi has Telemetry.
Yes this 1/72 scale Audi has Telemetry.
IMG_9787.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 919 times
Ma-RX42-D+ Telemetry receiver.
Ma-RX42-D+ Telemetry receiver.
IMG_9788.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 919 times
This is the current Receiver (non Telem) with dual Das Mikro ESC's.
This is the current Receiver (non Telem) with dual Das Mikro ESC's.
IMG_9780.JPG (739.5 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: 1/35 M113 APC with Telemetry?

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

It's good to hear from you again! I understand telemetry to be an ability of some electronics to send data of some sort to some controller or other device. Did I get that correct? What type of data will the M113 be sending?
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:45 pm It's good to hear from you again! I understand telemetry to be an ability of some electronics to send data of some sort to some controller or other device. Did I get that correct? What type of data will the M113 be sending?
Good Morning Herr Doctor, I am finally back after moving to a new house in North Ridgeville Ohio :D . Telemetry as used in R\C allows data both ways as the Transmitter sends PWM position data as normal but also receives data from a Telemetry transmitter that is linked to the same channel as the receiver. The Telemetry module is bound to the same channel as the receiver during the BIND process. There are two types of Telemetry systems, One uses an external Telemetry module while the the other is integrated. In the case of this M113, It uses a integrated DSMX Receiver\Telemetry circuit board, (Ma-RX42-D+)
These excellent Telemetry receivers are used in small r\c aircraft but can be used for Tanks, cars, boats etc.
These excellent Telemetry receivers are used in small r\c aircraft but can be used for Tanks, cars, boats etc.
IMG_9790.JPG (1.87 MiB) Viewed 901 times
5 channels plus Telemetry for Altitude, RPM, Speed, Supply Voltage, Rx Voltage, Current, Temperature
5 channels plus Telemetry for Altitude, RPM, Speed, Supply Voltage, Rx Voltage, Current, Temperature
IMG_9791.JPG (489.2 KiB) Viewed 901 times
Min\Max Telemetry screen
Min\Max Telemetry screen
IMG_9794.JPG (897.9 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Active Lipo Voltage and receiver temperature screen
Active Lipo Voltage and receiver temperature screen
IMG_9795.JPG (860.65 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Here is all the variables that are available for display
Here is all the variables that are available for display
IMG_9797.JPG (951.37 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Thank you for the most interesting response and photos! I have no idea such telemetry was available to RC hobbyists, although I should not have been surprised at all, as, especially such information would be useful for those flying expensive RC aircraft.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:14 am Thank you for the most interesting response and photos! I have no idea such telemetry was available to RC hobbyists, although I should not have been surprised at all, as, especially such information would be useful for those flying expensive RC aircraft.
Good morning Herr Doctor. Professor
Drones have this info and more plus FPV. I also use a Camera when flying my rc planes. Telemetry info is useful for me as I live near a airport and want to make sure I am under 400' at all times so the altitude info are
very useful. Temperate is also useful during the summer months, I once crashed a rc Corsair model due to overheating of the ESC (BEC) due to 95 degree temperature that summer day 2011.

As far as rc Tank,cars,truck etc models, The Volts, Rx Volts, Temperature data is very useful. I use small and very small Lipo batteries in the models and they are very easy to damage if over discharged.

I can set an voltage alarm when the Lipo is near safe discharge voltage thus extending the life of the Lipo.

You can set alarms for most variables in the Telemetry screen. Oh, in rc aircraft, Lipo voltage is critical to a predictable flight else you could experience "LOW VOLTAGE CUT" (LVC) from the ESC leaving you with no engine power forcing a "dead stick landing" which can result in a crash of the model. I practice DSL from time to time just to make sure I can pull it off. Knowing the Lipo voltage in flight takes away the possibility that it will happen. So there are some good reasons to fly with Telemetry and in non flying models, Telemetry can help extend the life of the Lipo battery which are quite expensive :thumbup:

I am getting a 1/24 rc Tank ready for yard duty and will be using Telemetry module and camera to run it around the yard while running it from my workbench hobby room FPV Day or night using infrared camera etc :haha: The tech we have now a days to play with is truly amazing! 8)
I will use Telemetry in this Tank to protect the 1800 mah 2s Lipo from over discharge. which can easily happen when running in grass.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

"I once crashed a rc Corsair model due to overheating of the ESC." Oooh! That must have hurt a lot! I was guessing that you have a great deal of RC aircraft experience. As you may have seen from my posts, I am just starting in on anything beyond RTR RC with the WilliCapri Jeep and now the FAMO. I have a great deal to learn, and I have only smoked one component so far, an inexpensive receiver.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

:D Good morning Herr Dr. Professor, Yes I fly and own several rc models of all types. The owner of a local hobby shop once told me that I had more planes that he did and he had a lot. He asked why did I have o many? The answer is, we live in a time like no other as far as electronic technology and along with China's vast industrial base, the amount of cool rc stuff available is beyond belief!

When I was a kid in Heilbronn Germany (1067-1969, Guys at the Army base would build models of all types and especially rc aircraft. and since I lived on Base with my Dad as a military dependent, I would hang out with the Army rc guys and learned a lot about the hobby at that time. Back then, you had to build a "Heathkit" rc system was the only way to get rc equipment.

Note: the ACE Rx is a 8 channel Rx although I have it wires as a 4 channel but it is a 8 channel as from the factory.

These Heath kit radio systems were still available 1980 and I bought one, a 8 channel "Commander series" aircraft rc system and had a blast building "my own" just like the the guys at the military base in Germany.

The Ace Rx is actually a 8 channel Rx but is wired as a 4 channel in these pictures.

:)
Handbuilt Ace 4 channel Rx from 1980.
Handbuilt Ace 4 channel Rx from 1980.
IMG_9810.JPG (581.62 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Stacked circuit board design made for a compact design for the time. Old school "full size integrated circuit semiconductors" were a new thing at that time.
Stacked circuit board design made for a compact design for the time. Old school "full size integrated circuit semiconductors" were a new thing at that time.
IMG_9812.jpg (618.22 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Attachments
Here is a GWS 4 channel Rx circa 2002 alongside the <br />Ace 4 channel Rx of 1980.
Here is a GWS 4 channel Rx circa 2002 alongside the
Ace 4 channel Rx of 1980.
IMG_9813.jpg (265.17 KiB) Viewed 836 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Here's one for you, Modler: My father was in the Signal Corp.in the South Pacific and my brother-in-law cared for radio equipment in Vietnam. In about '71 or '72, my father bought a Heathkit radio and he and my brother-in-law built it on the kitchen table. When the first plugged it in and turned it on: kablooi! SNAFU.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Well, that's the nature of the electronic beast. I built a Heathkit digital display clock (circa 1978) and it did not work right first time, but after sevara times checking it, found a cold solder joint on some switch wiring, fixed it and it has worked since. Works to this day!
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

WIth no intemption of derrailing your thread, Ill copy-paste what I wrote in another forum some months ago. I will publish it with all the details and better pics in october:

" I am using a module soldered and produced by Rad Industries (hey, that is me! Mama, I am on the internet!) but using other's guy which is much clever than me, code.

What does it do? I can see in my radio screen:

-How much battery is left.
-How fast is the battery draining.
-What is the temperature inside of the model.
-Second sensor for checking the temperature in the motor or in any other specific part, like the smoke generator, or if a boat, the water.
-Which are the GPS coordinates of the model.
-A compass to see where is it currently heading. (N,S,W,E and the grades.)
-How fast is it running, flying or sailing, in kilometers, miles and knots.
-If it flyes, how high is it flying, and how fast is it climbing.

Overkill for our tanks, maybe. But the hell of a fun. I created the module for doing long range FPV sailing with a scratchbuild boat, in a big lake here."

My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/

Return to “Smaller Scale Military”