I'll have the T-34 with the Log on the side please...

Feel free to discuss anything and everything to do with tanking here!
MrChef
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

I'll have the T-34 with the Log on the side please...

Post by MrChef »

So I already knew why the Russians usually had a log on the side of their tanks, Unditching.

When I dressed up my T=34/85 I thought it needed not just 1 but 2 logs. Why not? More is always better right... Well then I also didn't thoroughly work out how I would mount the logs. And on top of that I wanted real logs from my yard but God and the squirrels didn't yet drop me the right diameter and straight enough sticks.

Sooo there ya go. Effort#1 not what I really wanted and definitely wonky-

So doing some yard work recently I found some better log stock. I also looked at period Pictures of the T-34 to gauge the correct size Log. It's just about the same size as the forward tool box.

So while doing a little maintenance clean up I decided to do a little remodel. Ta Da-

phpBB [video]

I haven't had the T-34 out in the yard yet this spring. I'll be sure to post some pics in the show off section maybe matched up with it's German counterpart my Panther G.

Chef
"Charlie don't surf"- Lt. Col. Bill Kilgore
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Re: I'll have the T-34 with the Log on the side please...

Post by HERMAN BIX »

The log of course must be wide enough to cross both tracks plus a bit.
There are pictures abound of Soviet machines with several logs attached on bothe sides, and many of ones that are sticking out the rear almost half as long again as whats on the tank!
Scale log is one thing, getting the right scale rope to make it hold on is the next.
I was diected by an old member here to use embroidery yarn/twine/string???(whatever its called)
The stuff old Biddies use to sit around in a group and embroider doilies etc.................
It has worked for me. good colour selection, right size when tied off, no excess fuzz, and strong enough to hold up under load.
Your second pic is a great outcome Sir, top job.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I quite liked the kinky logs, they had a more natural look, not all trees are perfect.

As for the rope, I would check out Sail Threads, they come in various thicknesses and colours.
They are mostly made from polyester which won't look hairy. Something that some threads overly portray. Also they can handle all that the sea can throw at it, therefore they will handle anything our tanks can think up.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Confession time.
When I first read this subject title "I'll have the T-34 with the Log on the side please..." I had a bit of a spitting tea out moment. To explain, what with you being Mr Chef, I read it like a customers order in a restaurant, and virtualised a small T34 on a plate with a log on the side, unfortunately, British slang for log has a whole different meaning, and hence my tea drinking demise :lolno: :{
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

That did cross my disgraceful mind to Mr Gunner ! :{
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

HERMAN BIX wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:43 am That did cross my disgraceful mind to Mr Gunner ! :{
Hahaha thank you guys! Then I accomplished my goal of sharing in jest.

Yep it's a food reference but I'm glad I got you guys thinking.

The rope I used is paracord strand. I had seen some Warhammer & Mini guys use it and thought it was a perfect option. Yes I measured the log so that is the right length to be functionally attached to both tracks.

Thanks for looking guys, good fun.

Chef
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

MrChef: do you have a URL for a source for the paracord? I could look online myself, but I would not be sure just what I am seeking. Thanks!
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:33 pm MrChef: do you have a URL for a source for the paracord? I could look online myself, but I would not be sure just what I am seeking. Thanks!
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/fi ... prcrd55cac

Herr Dr. you can get it cheaper and smaller amount for sure. But most sporting goods shops carry it in the camping/hiking section. There are specific standards for 550 parachute cord "paracord" but for modeling purposes that's not important. The outer sheath color isn't important, either you use the inner 7 strands for the scale rope and wire.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Thank you! It was sporting of you to reply so quickly. :D
MrChef

Post by MrChef »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 10:25 pm Thank you! It was sporting of you to reply so quickly. :D
Heres the video I got the tip from-

phpBB [video]

Return to “General Discussion”