Aec Armoured Car.

Up to the end of WWII
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Aec Armoured Car.

Post by Model Builder 4 »

A few pictures of my Aec armoured car that I've been working on for the past couple of weeks along with some pictures of what I've been using for reference information.
It's based on the vandra models resin kit which I've modified in places and the chassis is from a wpl truck with upgraded parts.
It's run off a 40A esc with a 2s lipo and has a diesel truck engine sound module, I also managed to make working turret traverse and barrel elevation units for it which are operated with the use of servos to perform these functions.
I've given it a coat of grey primer so far and it'll be on with the top coat next along with some weathering :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Aec Armoured Car.

Post by tankme »

Nice. I wish there were more turreted wheeled vehicles out there.

Derek
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for looking in tankme :D Yes I agree that these vehicles are woefully under represented, saying that I believe that 1/16 ( affordable ) support vehicles in general are thin on the ground :thumbdown: The majority of these vehicles in 1/16 are usually quite expensive :crazy: the heng long and wpl line of trucks were the exception to this but still they were not really suitable ( as is ) if you were looking for ww2 vehicles and require major modifications but hey ho I suppose they were better than nothing :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That's looking bloody marvellous Lee :clap: :clap:

The thing about the Heng Long/other make trucks, it gave the 1/16th military modellers options, and because they caused a storm and sold like hot cakes, they also gave us upgrades to the running gear etc.
They were a much needed addition to the hobby.
Sadly, going on that supply for demand scenario, manufacturers may not feel armoured cars are a big enough risk for tooling up.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

That's well done, Model Builder 4! I have a scrap box full of WPL parts waiting for me to get to it (say, twenty years from now). As to support vehicles, oh, my! There are so many possibilities just among the US ones familiar to me. To this day, I cannot figure out why the classic Jeep has been overlooked in 1/16 (except by Will and Catherine and in a new static model) and the ubiquitous WWII 6X6 "Deuce and a Half" is still awaiting attention (as you know, the WPL truck is post-war).
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thank you for the kind words Mick :D You are right that we owe a lot to heng long etc for the trucks and especially the upgrade parts that have become available because of it.
I can see why manufacturers may not want to spend the cost of say making non combat vehicles ie schwimmwagen, kubelwagen etc as these would only be of real interest to people like ourselves who appreciate them as models and not toys, now on the other hand I would say that something like the Aec car would possibly have a bit of a wider appeal both as a toy or model because of the turret and gun on it but again I guess they only make what they know they can sell boat loads of.

Cheers, Lee.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks for looking in professor :wave: I too have loads of wpl spares, these trucks have made it possible for myself to build many vehicles with them as a base that I would never have attempted without them due to the availability of parts or the expense of them, I think that I have bought around 10 in the few years that they have been available yet not one has remained in it's standard form :haha: :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ecam »

I'll have to admit, I wasn't even aware of the AEC armored car! Nice work. I do want to do some armored wheeled vehicles in the future, and frankly beyond the M8 I do fall short on knowledge. I just hope the aftermarket steps up with some rubber tires for the WPLs (wheels are easy enough to print or modify) those German AFV tires are just not reasonable enough in my opinion. They look stunning on your DUKW but they would be a significant part of the budget to any build.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Thanks Ecam, yes sadly the availability of decent tyres are one thing that is still missing in 1/16 scale, I bought the one's for my Dukw build as I thought it merited them although they were quite expensive for a set of six. They are good quality rubber tyres but as you say if you factor the price of them into every build it pushes the cost up significantly :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

A feature that draws my eye is the twin Lewis guns on the roof!
Top job that Man :thumbup:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Wheeled and Half-Tracked Vehicles”