1/35 M4 Halftrack(s) to RRC Tamiya, Testors

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Re: 1/35 M4 Halftrack to radio remote control with 1 MTM gearbox

Post by modler »

Captain Morgan wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:41 pm Congratulations! I follow your progress on YouTube. I also received them a long time ago, I checked how they would work with my mini version of the OpenPanzer board.
In general, they showed themselves to be efficient.
Good to know. I will be wiring some of those up soon for a new project. These latest ESC's below are very small, maybe the smallest available 8)
Attachments
4 ESC's on a penny!
4 ESC's on a penny!
IMG_0343.jpg (2.49 MiB) Viewed 50239 times
1/77 SCALE PANTHER will get one of these ultra micro ESC's along with a telemetry DSMX receiver. That will be my smallest Hobby Grade RRC Tank.
1/77 SCALE PANTHER will get one of these ultra micro ESC's along with a telemetry DSMX receiver. That will be my smallest Hobby Grade RRC Tank.
IMG_0342.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 50239 times
These are DUAL ESC's WITH TANK MIXER!
These are DUAL ESC's WITH TANK MIXER!
IMG_0315.jpg (120.71 KiB) Viewed 50239 times
Super small! can't wait to get some connectors on these
Super small! can't wait to get some connectors on these
IMG_0314.jpg (807.05 KiB) Viewed 50239 times
Last edited by modler on Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ok back on topic

Short video of the Testors Half Track

https://studio.youtube.com/video/NCXyl24Uxkw/edit

Very short video of the Tamiya Half Track. towing a field gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnL2ylBjuGY

Yes the Hood is missing off the Tamiya M2. There is a piece of clear plastic where the Hood should be but that clear plastic is actually part of the winshield and just shows because the Hood is gone. Just in case anyone wondered ;)
Attachments
Testors M2 is being sized for "nose weight" that allows proper grip of the front tires for tighter steering.
Testors M2 is being sized for "nose weight" that allows proper grip of the front tires for tighter steering.
IMG_0407.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 49955 times
Half track convoy. Both of these models are DSMX with Telemetry.
Half track convoy. Both of these models are DSMX with Telemetry.
IMG_0406.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 49956 times
Just reinstalled the hitch on the Tamiya M2 and will soon do a video with the field gun in tow. Oh, maybe I should remove that piece of tape from the side. That was securing a rear tail light LED until the glue set.
Just reinstalled the hitch on the Tamiya M2 and will soon do a video with the field gun in tow. Oh, maybe I should remove that piece of tape from the side. That was securing a rear tail light LED until the glue set.
IMG_0405 (1).jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 49956 times
Model on the Left is a Tamiya M2A1, Model on the Right is a Testors M2A1 Half track. Looks like the Tamiya needs a wheel alignment.
Model on the Left is a Tamiya M2A1, Model on the Right is a Testors M2A1 Half track. Looks like the Tamiya needs a wheel alignment.
IMG_0286.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 49956 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Update on the Ultra Micro twin ESC's. They work very well ! They come with or without track Mixer. I only ordered one without and then realised I needed more and they are sold out :(

So far I have one with mixer in operation in a 1/77 scale Leopard II driving a set of coreless motors. It is very cool having a coreless motorized remote control tank in this scale. I used a few mixes in the DX6e Transmitter to get it running just right. I have have several motorized military models in small scales 1/77, 172, 164 but they were all Toy Grade radio systems and no matter what I did to enhance them they just did not perform that well...COMPARATIVELY to using a computer Transmitter system like the Spektrum Dx6e.
Attachments
The model in the middle is a Leopard II with Ultra micro radio setup. RX42 with 2 channel UM ESC. There is not much room in this model and quite frankly, It is near impossible to put hobby grade radio equipment in This particular 1/77 scale Leopard II but here it is. It is very additive running this tank because of its smooth operation on the indoor track. the Tiger 1 on the right is 1/72 scale.
The model in the middle is a Leopard II with Ultra micro radio setup. RX42 with 2 channel UM ESC. There is not much room in this model and quite frankly, It is near impossible to put hobby grade radio equipment in This particular 1/77 scale Leopard II but here it is. It is very additive running this tank because of its smooth operation on the indoor track. the Tiger 1 on the right is 1/72 scale.
IMG_0470.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 49388 times
Here is one of those tiny dual ESC's plugged into a RX42 Telemetry receiver. This one just wired and has not had final wire forming yet. I will soon wire another this time WITHOUT mixer and show pictures of it stand alone.
Here is one of those tiny dual ESC's plugged into a RX42 Telemetry receiver. This one just wired and has not had final wire forming yet. I will soon wire another this time WITHOUT mixer and show pictures of it stand alone.
IMG_0444.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 49388 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Looks like the discussion got "off track" see what I did there ..lol the ESC TOPIC is continued here. viewtopic.php?t=35118

This thread will continue with more 1/35 scale Half Track from here on.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ok Thread is back on "Track" see what I did there? :haha:

The Testors M4A1 Half Track is working good and have decided to do a "Track steer assist" mod as it has individual motor for each Track so a differential track steering assist mod can be implemented. This will consist of a dual ESC with track mix for the Tracks and a Servo for the front wheel steering then a mix front steering to rear tracks so 3 channels will be used for this mod.

edit.
I have been testing this for a couple of days and it works EXCELLENT! 2 simple Transmitter mixes is all that is required to get Half Track Track Assist steering.

Here is a video of the M4 Testers. In this video I have mild settings on the Track assist steering mix to enable long run time from the small Lipo.

This one goes full screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCXyl24Uxkw&t=41s
Attachments
Here is the whole setup ready for testing and TX programming.
Here is the whole setup ready for testing and TX programming.
IMG_0614.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 48738 times
To do this mod you need dual motor track drive like a Tank for the rear and a Servo for the wheel steering.
To do this mod you need dual motor track drive like a Tank for the rear and a Servo for the wheel steering.
IMG_0613.JPG (1.45 MiB) Viewed 48738 times
Last edited by modler on Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
modler
Sergeant

Re: 1/35 M4 Halftrack(s) to RRC Tamiya, Testors

Post by modler »

The Testers M4 Half Track worked so good with it new 3 channel steering that I decided to upgrade the old Hanomag with the same radio setup.

I will try to get some videos asap on the two.
Attachments
IMG_0666.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG (1.58 MiB) Viewed 48112 times
This gearbox has been in working for over 30 years. The other is the same deal. Just now do I get to fully take advantage of what they can do with this new electronics setup.
This gearbox has been in working for over 30 years. The other is the same deal. Just now do I get to fully take advantage of what they can do with this new electronics setup.
IMG_0670.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 48112 times
You can see the dual motor gearbox in this picture. This is required for the "track assist steering mod."
You can see the dual motor gearbox in this picture. This is required for the "track assist steering mod."
IMG_0669.JPG (1.85 MiB) Viewed 48112 times
These are the smallest reliable receives with Telemetry that I know of.
These are the smallest reliable receives with Telemetry that I know of.
IMG_0668.JPG (1.28 MiB) Viewed 48112 times
No.4 radio on the left, No.1 on the right. I have 6 of these radios  Ma-RX-42-D+(DSMX/2)  in operation so far and plan on upgrading all my best 1/35 with these receivers with Telemetry.
No.4 radio on the left, No.1 on the right. I have 6 of these radios Ma-RX-42-D+(DSMX/2) in operation so far and plan on upgrading all my best 1/35 with these receivers with Telemetry.
IMG_0665.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 48117 times
These two have state of the art electronics and Telemetry. You can set a voltage level alarm on the Transmitter so no more over discharging those delicate small lipos.
These two have state of the art electronics and Telemetry. You can set a voltage level alarm on the Transmitter so no more over discharging those delicate small lipos.
IMG_0658.JPG (2.03 MiB) Viewed 48118 times
The Testers M4 is the best of the bunch but the Hanomag has a little tighter steering and more suspension but is old and kind of beat up with missing parts. It is 35+ years old.
The Testers M4 is the best of the bunch but the Hanomag has a little tighter steering and more suspension but is old and kind of beat up with missing parts. It is 35+ years old.
IMG_0660.JPG (1.49 MiB) Viewed 48118 times
All 4 of my 1/35 scale Half Tracks are now using Hobby grade radio systems.
All 4 of my 1/35 scale Half Tracks are now using Hobby grade radio systems.
IMG_0664.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 48118 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Here is recent video. The Testors HT is using Track steer assist with low mix settings to allow long run time with the small lipo.

So far the Testors and Tamiya M3 HT's have DSMX with Telemetry. The other HT's 2 have older DSM2. I plan to update all to DSMX TLM.

This model has Telemetry that shows:

1. battery voltage
2. ESC temperature
3. Time motors are running or runtime.

There are more options available but these are the 3 main three variables shown on the Telemetry screen on the Transmitter.

Testers M3 HT DSMX TLM with Track assist steering
https://youtu.be/NCXyl24Uxkw

Tamiya M3 HT DSMX TLM
https://youtu.be/gnL2ylBjuGY

Coming soon 8)
Next video will be the Hanomag with Track assist steering
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

:O Finally got a decent video of the Hanomag HT. This is a very old model ~40 years old 8O
This latest retrofit adds Track Assist Steering. Without track Assist, weights had to be added to the front for ballast else the steering was poor. There are no weights added to the front in this latest retrofit.

This is a Tamiya model vintage 1975. I have the original instructions and parts trees but no box.

Latest Hanomag video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27GIQbj0JLs

Towards the end of the video, the left track drive pinion gear started to slip so that affected the performance in reverse, Problem has been resolved and I will do a new video showing the HT maneuvering in reverse asap.
Attachments
IMG_0716.jpg
IMG_0716.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 46668 times
IMG_0717.jpg
IMG_0717.jpg (1.92 MiB) Viewed 46668 times
IMG_0718.jpg
IMG_0718.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 46668 times
IMG_0719.jpg
IMG_0719.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 46668 times
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Had some time today so did a short M4 video showing track assist steering in action doing what wheeled vehicles can not do...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B-5r3bQTYk
Attachments
IMG_0760.jpg
IMG_0760.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 33382 times
IMG_0761.jpg
IMG_0761.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 33382 times
IMG_0762.jpg
IMG_0762.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 33382 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

That's a rough ride downhill! I'd bet the crew had to run off screen to...

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”