HL/Trumpeter Panzer IV Beob ausf J Hybrid

MonsieurTox
Corporal

HL/Trumpeter Panzer IV Beob ausf J Hybrid

Post by MonsieurTox »

Hey guys,

As I am building a Hummel, I am in need of a reco tank for it ! This was the role of Panzer IV beob, which was fitted with a StuG III commander cupola, lots of radios and antenaes !

I thought I would have had a hard time trying to mate the Trumpeter upper hull on the HL chassis but it was actually a pretty straight forward job. I had to grind the inside of the hull though to make more room for the gearboax that I moved up by 3mm to get the sprocket top in line with the first return roller top.
I havent lowered the 4th return roller yet. I will build a custom track tensioner like I did for the Hummel too.

I used a Mato set of metal wheels and late all steel return rollers. I must say I am very disappointed by quality and poor design of them. The Taigen wheels I used on the Hummel are much better but unfortunatly they come with early rubber/metal return roller. If you put the mato wheels on the metal HL or Taigen suspensions, they are not aligned with the sprocket/idler/return roller. I fixed the issue but I may consider buying another set of Taigen wheel at some point.
I have the Mato metal sprockets and idler, and the metal tracks as well. Here's again the sprockets teeth need a lot of fine tuning so the tracks can work well.

I'm going to chopped of the details of the HL rear chassis blukhead and replace them with the HL details.

Room is limited in the turret, since the rear basket is a separate parts like on the original, it cant be used for the recoil and elevation system. I'll see what I can do here.

I've remade the chassis Schürzen with 0.5mm styrene (not pictured here). I'm not sure I'll put them on or not, they are removable anyway.

I love the menacing look of it with the support brackets though.

Next job will be to grind all the details of the chassis (dampers, suspension supports) and replace them with Trumpeter details and move down the last return roller.
panzerIV_1.jpg
panzerIV_2.jpg
panzerIV_3.jpg
panzerIV_4.jpg
panzerIV_5.jpg
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: HL/Trumpeter Panzer IV Beob ausf J Hybrid

Post by BarryC »

Greeting Sir,

I have nearly the exact build planned. I will be using a complete Taigen lower, metal wheels and tracks.

I'll be following along withe great interest! :thumbup:

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

BarryC wrote:Greeting Sir,

I have nearly the exact build planned. I will be using a complete Taigen lower, metal wheels and tracks.

Barry
Hello Barry ! Which Panzer IV Trumpeter kit do you have ?
Not sure about the Taigen chassis measurements, I hope it'll be as easy than with the HL chassis !
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

MonsieurTox wrote:
BarryC wrote:Greeting Sir,

Barry
Hello Barry ! Which Panzer IV Trumpeter kit do you have ?
Not sure about the Taigen chassis measurements, I hope it'll be as easy than with the HL chassis !
Pz.Beob.Wg. IV Ausf.J
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

Nice. One of my projects is a Panzer IV Ausf. H. I'm combining the Tamiya Ausf. J and the Trumpeter Ausf. H kits. The H is my favorite German tank of WW2.
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

BarryC wrote:
Pz.Beob.Wg. IV Ausf.J
Nice !

Maccrage wrote:Nice. One of my projects is a Panzer IV Ausf. H. I'm combining the Tamiya Ausf. J and the Trumpeter Ausf. H kits. The H is my favorite German tank of WW2.
That's great, Tamiya chassis is very nice but unfortunatly the upper hull, details on their 1/16 tanks are a bit rough (even more considering the price). Trumpeter's kits are not perfect either but they are much more detailled.
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Really nice tank :thumbup:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Maccrage
Corporal

Post by Maccrage »

MonsieurTox wrote:
BarryC wrote:
Pz.Beob.Wg. IV Ausf.J
Nice !

Maccrage wrote:Nice. One of my projects is a Panzer IV Ausf. H. I'm combining the Tamiya Ausf. J and the Trumpeter Ausf. H kits. The H is my favorite German tank of WW2.
That's great, Tamiya chassis is very nice but unfortunatly the upper hull, details on their 1/16 tanks are a bit rough (even more considering the price). Trumpeter's kits are not perfect either but they are much more detailled.
Just pulled them out of storage this morning.
MonsieurTox
Corporal

Post by MonsieurTox »

Great collection you have there!
What is the Trumpeter kit next to the Abrams?
Can't wait to see you start your Tamiya/Trumpeter build.
It seems like it may happen any time soon now!
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Good Day Mr Tox
Wondering if you could expand on your method you used to raise the H/L gearboxes in the H/L hull to get the drive sprocket height right ?
That is an ongoing issue for anyone that wants to build a half -descent Pz4 , with our without a Trumpeter upper !

Could you explain how you did that please Sir.

Cheers
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Panzer IV”