World's smallest (1:77) Hobby Grade Radio Remote Control Tank?

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
modler
Sergeant

Re: World's smallest 2 channel 2 track motor RRC Tank?

Post by modler »

Ecam wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:25 pm I know those are micro connectors, but they look absolutely huge compared to the ESC! Fascinating work on such a miniscule scale. I struggle with room on 16th from time to time.
It was a challenge to solder the wires to the ESC. The pads are very close together. The soldering kit I use has changeable tips and for this job I used the smallest tip and a steady hand. The wires on the connectors shown here are high quality and keep their shape after being moulded to a final position through careful and slow positioning. That is the last step. This being two circuit boards wired together allows positioning the CB's independently to fit the limited space available. Best soldering practices are required for all connections. Also the connections are "shrink wrapped" with a high dielectric strength insulation material for electrical isolation using a special technique I developed in my electronics lab.

After Testing the Panther, I serious problem with the Tank was discovered. The rubber tracks have aged and are slipping in forward as the sprockets don't have "drive teeth" and are smooth so the aged track has lost enough tension for the tracks to slip. The panther is now in standby until I can figure out how to resolve that problem. Meanwhile, I have a Leopard II of the same scale that I have switched to for this thread topic. Even though it is a little longer length than the panther, It is narrower and has less radio bay room to work with, so it will be tight! :O
Attachments
input\output of the new Ultra micro dual ESC.
input\output of the new Ultra micro dual ESC.
IMG_0315 (1).jpg (1.57 MiB) Viewed 32811 times
The Tiger 1 on the right is 1:72 scale for reference. Both Tanks on the Left are 1:77 scale.
The Tiger 1 on the right is 1:72 scale for reference. Both Tanks on the Left are 1:77 scale.
IMG_0470.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 32820 times
Both are 1:77 scale. I am switching to the Leopard II as it has superior ITL Tracks with sprocket teeth drive to the track. The plastic ITL track design requires less power to run than a low tech 1 piece rubber Track. The 100mAh lipo is mounted in the Leopard II Turret. A wiring harness with LVC added with on\off switch and lipo charging plug is now visible on the Leppard II Turret.
Both are 1:77 scale. I am switching to the Leopard II as it has superior ITL Tracks with sprocket teeth drive to the track. The plastic ITL track design requires less power to run than a low tech 1 piece rubber Track. The 100mAh lipo is mounted in the Leopard II Turret. A wiring harness with LVC added with on\off switch and lipo charging plug is now visible on the Leppard II Turret.
IMG_0469.jpg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 32820 times
This is the smallest HOBBY GRADE radio gear in my arsenal. The key element is the new Ultra micro ESC with Track mixing. Then there is the  DSMX, Telemetry 5 channel Ultra micro Receiver. Combined this will allow 1:77 scale RRC conversions!
This is the smallest HOBBY GRADE radio gear in my arsenal. The key element is the new Ultra micro ESC with Track mixing. Then there is the DSMX, Telemetry 5 channel Ultra micro Receiver. Combined this will allow 1:77 scale RRC conversions!
IMG_0444.JPG (2.17 MiB) Viewed 32820 times
This Tank is the same scale (1:77) as the Panther but has much better tracks and sprockets. It is ready for final circuit board positioning. The Leopard II looks way better with it 5 road wheels as opposed to the Panther with 3 road wheels.
This Tank is the same scale (1:77) as the Panther but has much better tracks and sprockets. It is ready for final circuit board positioning. The Leopard II looks way better with it 5 road wheels as opposed to the Panther with 3 road wheels.
IMG_0462.jpg (870.91 KiB) Viewed 32829 times
The receiver just fits in the lower hull sideways. The ESC is slowly twisted CCW and moved aft at the same time to its new position over the drive motors and gears....UPDATE this did not work as wiring was too close to the drive gears after upper hull was installed. See img_0464 for final position of ESC.
The receiver just fits in the lower hull sideways. The ESC is slowly twisted CCW and moved aft at the same time to its new position over the drive motors and gears....UPDATE this did not work as wiring was too close to the drive gears after upper hull was installed. See img_0464 for final position of ESC.
IMG_0463.jpg (825.14 KiB) Viewed 32829 times
Some manipulation of the connectors and wires away from the drive gears resulting in position that works with upper hull installed.
Some manipulation of the connectors and wires away from the drive gears resulting in position that works with upper hull installed.
IMG_0464.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 32829 times
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Ecam »

modler wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:12 pm
Ecam wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:25 pm I know those are micro connectors, but they look absolutely huge compared to the ESC! Fascinating work on such a miniscule scale. I struggle with room on 16th from time to time.
... and a steady hand.

That might be most of all our problems.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Ecam wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:38 pm
modler wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:12 pm
... and a steady hand.

That might be most of all our problems.
I use to solder using techniques that meet mil spec standards in aerospace\military applications. I incorporate those skills in my hobby work these days. You can get good results with the right tools and some patience. The ESC work being shown here is challenging but with a few tricks can be done without too much effort.
Attachments
IMG_0548.jpg
IMG_0548.jpg (995.2 KiB) Viewed 32789 times
IMG_0560.jpg
IMG_0560.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 32789 times
IMG_0562.jpg
IMG_0562.jpg (1.77 MiB) Viewed 32789 times
IMG_0564.jpg
IMG_0564.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 32789 times
Soldering on this one looks good.
Soldering on this one looks good.
IMG_0564.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 32789 times
Another UM dual ESC comes off the line and ready for testing. This one has a track mixer.
Another UM dual ESC comes off the line and ready for testing. This one has a track mixer.
IMG_0577.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 32789 times
Todays work 1.5 hours, is ready for next phase. Testing.
Todays work 1.5 hours, is ready for next phase. Testing.
IMG_0578.jpg (954.27 KiB) Viewed 32789 times
Last edited by modler on Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
modler
Sergeant

Re: World's smallest (1:77) Hobby Grade Radio Remote Control Tank?

Post by modler »

Ok this thread got a bit of topic. The UM ESC build and information is now in its own topic thread below.

Ultra Micro ESC build
viewtopic.php?t=35118
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

I had a little time available and used it to make video of the 1/77 Leopard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KerBh0QAL6k
Attachments
Hobby Grade 1:77 Leopard II with its upgraded TX.
Hobby Grade 1:77 Leopard II with its upgraded TX.
IMG_0612.JPG (1.25 MiB) Viewed 32748 times
The stock version as it comes has a nice display case that also stores the TX all in one place Portable 2.4G micro Tank good for travel.
The stock version as it comes has a nice display case that also stores the TX all in one place Portable 2.4G micro Tank good for travel.
IMG_0609.JPG (1.26 MiB) Viewed 32752 times
Here it is,  WORLDS SMALLEST (1:77) HOBBY GRADE RADIO CONTROL TANK.  A 100mAh lipo sits in the Turret. external on\off switch with charge plug is visible here.
Here it is, WORLDS SMALLEST (1:77) HOBBY GRADE RADIO CONTROL TANK. A 100mAh lipo sits in the Turret. external on\off switch with charge plug is visible here.
IMG_0605.jpg (2.1 MiB) Viewed 32752 times
IMG_0611.JPG
IMG_0611.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 32752 times
1/77 Leopard on the left, 1/72 Tiger on the right just for reference scale comparison. Both of these Tanks have hitech plastic ITL tracks that have sprocket gear drive making all others with "1 piece rubber track" obsolete. Both also are 2.4G and work very well. The 2.4G radios are Toy Grade but are quite excellent in their operation.
1/77 Leopard on the left, 1/72 Tiger on the right just for reference scale comparison. Both of these Tanks have hitech plastic ITL tracks that have sprocket gear drive making all others with "1 piece rubber track" obsolete. Both also are 2.4G and work very well. The 2.4G radios are Toy Grade but are quite excellent in their operation.
IMG_0475.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 32757 times
Here are the elements that make up this Tank in its Toy Grade form before the upgrade. The 1.25 mm connectors were added so that this TG 2.4 G radio system can be used in other models. The TX has been modified with a "cruise" switch.
Here are the elements that make up this Tank in its Toy Grade form before the upgrade. The 1.25 mm connectors were added so that this TG 2.4 G radio system can be used in other models. The TX has been modified with a "cruise" switch.
IMG_0603.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 32759 times
Left to right, 1/77 Panther, 1/77 Leopard II, 1/72 Tiger 1. This is the extent of micro 1/77-1.72 RRC Tanks on ebay that I know of. The 1/77 Panther has 1 piece rubber tracks with smooth (no teeth) drive sprocket and tends to slip as it ages as the rubber starts to degrade. These are inferior in my mind and I will be retiring this and 2 others like it.
Left to right, 1/77 Panther, 1/77 Leopard II, 1/72 Tiger 1. This is the extent of micro 1/77-1.72 RRC Tanks on ebay that I know of. The 1/77 Panther has 1 piece rubber tracks with smooth (no teeth) drive sprocket and tends to slip as it ages as the rubber starts to degrade. These are inferior in my mind and I will be retiring this and 2 others like it.
IMG_0470.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 32759 times
This is as tight as it gets!  5 channel Rx-42 D+ with dual ESC's.
This is as tight as it gets! 5 channel Rx-42 D+ with dual ESC's.
IMG_0464.jpg (2.6 MiB) Viewed 32759 times
Last edited by modler on Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Oh I forgot the video, here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KerBh0QAL6k
Attachments
Hobby Grade update with RX42-D+ TLM 5 channel with UM dual ESC.
Hobby Grade update with RX42-D+ TLM 5 channel with UM dual ESC.
IMG_0698.JPG (1.48 MiB) Viewed 32692 times
IMG_0697.JPG
IMG_0697.JPG (1.43 MiB) Viewed 32694 times
IMG_0600 (1).JPG
IMG_0600 (1).JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 32718 times
Here is the Leopard with its original 2.4G Handgrenade controller.
Here is the Leopard with its original 2.4G Handgrenade controller.
IMG_0680.JPG (1.98 MiB) Viewed 32719 times
Last edited by modler on Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

What fun! I am tempted to look for one of those dinkusses because do get a kick out of the original TX shown in your photos. And, I confess, the video made me think about a fly-swatter. @)
Yet one-handed driving (while holding the camera) in any scale is a challenge, probably impossible without your "cruise' modification.
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:25 pm What fun! I am tempted to look for one of those dinkusses because do get a kick out of the original TX shown in your photos. And, I confess, the video made me think about a fly-swatter. @)
Yet one-handed driving (while holding the camera) in any scale is a challenge, probably impossible without your "cruise' modification.
Yes they are a change of pace type item and with 2.4g Tech, these toys are better than ever :D I use the electronics in some of my older tanks that still use 27\49 mhz Teck as the 2.4G needs no external Antenna.

So I used the Leopard chassis with Hobby Grade radio equipment then used the original 2.5G Handgrenade radio for a 1/35 scale Tamiya Tank as a starter radio just to get it going straight away. Nothing is wasted here.
Attachments
IMG_0600 (1).JPG
IMG_0600 (1).JPG (1.81 MiB) Viewed 32696 times
hook up two motors to the 1.25 mm connectors and your ready to go.
hook up two motors to the 1.25 mm connectors and your ready to go.
IMG_0695.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 32699 times
This is all you need to get a 1/35 Tank up and running with micro 2.4G stock radio system. This one has a "cruise mod" switch.
This is all you need to get a 1/35 Tank up and running with micro 2.4G stock radio system. This one has a "cruise mod" switch.
IMG_0691.jpg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 32699 times
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Just for kicks, I looked at EvilBay. No grenade transmitters, but this might interest you or someone in need of little tankers: https://www.ebay.com/itm/285575947999?h ... R8CI9aKdYw
modler
Sergeant

Post by modler »

Two new videos

This Tank will easily run 40 mins on a 100 mAh 1s lipo :O The coreless motors have very low power consumption when run at "cruise speed" which is lower than stock speed.

Bridge Test run 1/77 Leopard
https://youtu.be/GTaOjDC1k3w

Round and round 1/77 leopard
https://youtu.be/loui9fk2uus

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”