Sticky topic: All about glue!

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Marco Peter
Sergeant

Sticky topic: All about glue!

Post by Marco Peter »

I recently received the Hooben TigerP, my first real building project!

Only... What glue should I order to build this? Tamiya thin cement? Extra thin? Another brand?
1:16 was my scale. Until 'Konan' came into my life... an Armortek 1:6 Tiger 1!
... Now followed by a Panther G, 'Gunther'!

I'm a happy man. 8)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Sticky topic: All about glue!

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Do Hooben tell you which parts are made of ABS, Styrene, and other plastics? Tamiya do. :thumbup: Their ordinary cement works fine on sprue parts marked 'PE" (Polystyrene), and their Extra Thin is ideal for very small and difficult to fit parts, where there's a risk of unwanted splodges of cement damaging the surrounding area. Then, as the name suggests, ''Tamiya ABS Cement" is for harder plastics marked 'ABS" on their sprues.
I also use Revell Contacta Pro for styrene, as it sports a very useful metal needle (Syringe-Like) for dispensing precise amounts of cement in all locations, but it is especially useful in those hard to reach locations. :thumbup:
Bonding metal to styrene, or ABS to metal, or to to styrene..and all other combinations will probably require some form of superglue. There are several threads here on that particular topic.. ;) I often use a two-part epoxy superglue ('Plastic Fusion') for that.
Hope that helps..
What do Hooben recommend, by the way, in their instructions?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
maxmekker
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by maxmekker »

when adding the okmo parts to the challenger I used this glue. Not so userfriendly when doing small parts( mixing up small batches all the time ) but it feels superstrong once cured
27718144_10154962160521582_671092780_n.jpg
27718144_10154962160521582_671092780_n.jpg (78.34 KiB) Viewed 1198 times
Drammen Rock City
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've not heard of Z-poxy before, Stian. It's on Amazon uk though, but seems to be a bit more expensive than the usual suspects. At almost £14 for a 4oz (59g) it's about £4 dearer than JB Weld, for example. Still, if it makes for a good bond, who cares? I may give it a try. :thumbup:

Here's one of our our earlier thread on glueing Kits containing resin parts.
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=20608&p=230394&hi ... es#p230394
and another bit of a discussion on boding styrene:
viewtopic.php?f=195&t=22232&p=202540&hi ... nt#p202540

Just surf thought the Archives, and there's plenty more material to get stuck into..so to speak :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”