What esc or control unit for 1/35 tamiya mk iv male tank?

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
panzershreck
Recruit

What esc or control unit for 1/35 tamiya mk iv male tank?

Post by panzershreck »

I chanced upon the tamiya mk iv male tank 1/35 getting converted to rc and I kind of jumped the gun and bought 2 tank kits without making sure what control unit I needed.

So, now I need some recommendations on getting a suitable control unit/esc with tx/rx. Correct me if I am wrong but it seems the gun turrets do not rotate/do not have space for servos so I only need a 2 channel system?
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Re: What esc or control unit for 1/35 tamiya mk iv male tank

Post by MichaelC »

I have this project waiting on the shelf. Same deal, two sets so I can use the gearbox and motors. I am using Clark Tk-35 which is similar to the Tk-20 series but in a much reduce foot print. Clark has a two independent track control mode which is what I will be using (i.e.left stick controls left track, right stick controls right track) so it will be like driving the real thing.

No room for servo. I will use some LEDs for the 2 Pdr and the MGs. I bought the Aber 1/35 brass barrels and MG set to fit onto it.

So far just dry fitting nothing put together yet.
panzershreck
Recruit

Post by panzershreck »

MichaelC wrote:I have this project waiting on the shelf. Same deal, two sets so I can use the gearbox and motors. I am using Clark Tk-35 which is similar to the Tk-20 series but in a much reduce foot print. Clark has a two independent track control mode which is what I will be using (i.e.left stick controls left track, right stick controls right track) so it will be like driving the real thing.

No room for servo. I will use some LEDs for the 2 Pdr and the MGs. I bought the Aber 1/35 brass barrels and MG set to fit onto it.

So far just dry fitting nothing put together yet.
so what kind of tx are you using for it?
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

I use Turnigy 9XR fo all my tanks. The Tk-35 is a just a miniature version of the Tk-20 series so everything work the same way. It happen to be a 6 channel receiver, but I will be using 2 for movement and probably 2 for other functions (i.e. engine sound, MG and cannon) so it will still be a 4 channel set-up, just like a normal Clark board set-up.
panzershreck
Recruit

Post by panzershreck »

MichaelC wrote:I use Turnigy 9XR fo all my tanks. The Tk-35 is a just a miniature version of the Tk-20 series so everything work the same way. It happen to be a 6 channel receiver, but I will be using 2 for movement and probably 2 for other functions (i.e. engine sound, MG and cannon) so it will still be a 4 channel set-up, just like a normal Clark board set-up.

I see. thanks
I know this is kind of an understatement but I wish to confirm 1 thing.
given that the single motor has a long driveshaft to drive both tracks, both gearboxes have to be shortened to allow the 2nd gearbox to fit and drive the 2nd track?
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

I was thinking cutting one of them in half and that will do. So the other one stays intact so you can still have a static model of it to hold the drive sprockets for the second kit. You don't need to shorten both. This is just my plan and has not executed it yet.

Return to “Smaller Scale Military”