Tiger "222" Normandy 1944

Here is where you can show off your finished tanks and military vehicles, post pics and info on your arsenal!
Forum rules
If you're planning on posting a log of your build please use the relevant build sections.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Tiger "222" Normandy 1944

Post by Tiggr »

I wanted to give my late production Tiger 1 an identity, and opted to go for the tank which Michael Wittman (aledgedly) carried out his attack at Villiers Bocage.
There is some debate as to which Tiger he used as after the 240 km road march from the training facility, many of the Tigers needed TLC to get them to be battle worthy.
Some accounts say he used "212" others, "231".

Any road up, I plumbed for "222" as stencils were readily available from rctank.de

So what have I done to the standard Taigen metal model ?
Not a lot, but obviously stenciled on the numbers - quite tricky on zimmerit and vision ports, but easy on the rear stowage box.
The battalion badge was just too small to do effectively (for me anyway) so I used the stencil itself as the badge as the colour is good enough.
I also bought the spare track for the hull front as per the historical photos.
The other minor detail I attempted was the sculpted vertical plates above each shackle on the hull. (My Dremel bit grinder is now b*ggered).

So, here, complete with real mud is the result of my efforts :
222(1).jpg
222(2).jpg
222(3).jpg
222(4).jpg
222(5).jpg
222(6).jpg
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
Jake79
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Tiger "222" Normandy 1944

Post by Jake79 »

I haven't tried using stencils they look the part, nicely done :thumbup:
Tamiya: 2 King Tigers
H/L,Taigen :Initial Tiger 1, Panzer III, Kv 2, Panther G, Bulldog, Leo 2A6
jeman
Corporal

Post by jeman »

Excellent work sir ! Looks fab :clap:
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

Thanks Gents.
I'm happier now that the Tiger now has a proper ID :D
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
doc larsson
Staff Sergeant

Post by doc larsson »

wasn't it 007 that was knocked out by the canadians ? or did that one get wasted by the anti-tank gun dunno.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

doc larsson wrote:wasn't it 007 that was knocked out by the canadians ? or did that one get wasted by the anti-tank gun dunno.
Yes 007 was the one that Wittman and his crew died in but his previous tank was 205 - that broke down after the road march to Normandy, hence he commandeered "222" at Villiers Bocage. That was disabled by an anti tank gun in the village, so he and his crew legged it back to the German lines to man "205" again after repairs.
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
aikmanmosquito
Recruit

Post by aikmanmosquito »

Weren't all the Normandy Tigers tri camo? why I'm asking isn't to be negative as I was wanting to depict the same tiger as one which fought in Normandy, however nearly all the reference material I find they have tri colour camo and not the two colour as this tank is? surely if tanks were transferred from one theatre to another then there wouldn't be a lot of time to paint them
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Nicely done, Tiggr. :thumbup: Applying transfers to zimmerit and, or, bulging features is never going to be easy. :problem: I'd also consider using stencils, for this reason.. and even making my own; but you've convinced me that the rctank ones are worth a punt.
They are reusable, I assume (?), and this should make them value for money.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Nicely done, Tiggr. :thumbup: Applying transfers to zimmerit and, or, bulging features is never going to be easy. :problem: I'd also consider using stencils, for this reason.. and even making my own; but you've convinced me that the rctank ones are worth a punt.
They are reusable, I assume (?), and this should make them value for money.
Thank you.
The stencils could be used again, if you were very careful removing them, but they may lose some adhesion, as they are basically "sticky back plastic".
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen
Tiggr
Staff Sergeant

Post by Tiggr »

aikmanmosquito wrote:Weren't all the Normandy Tigers tri camo? why I'm asking isn't to be negative as I was wanting to depict the same tiger as one which fought in Normandy, however nearly all the reference material I find they have tri colour camo and not the two colour as this tank is? surely if tanks were transferred from one theatre to another then there wouldn't be a lot of time to paint them
They probably were, but being colourblind, I have to wait for my daughter or my girlfriend to be home with me to get colour advice. :haha:
I also need to get a spraygun (I used rattlecans to do the numbers and I can see red and white, plus it says the colour on the tin) :thumbup:
I will add the missing colour in due course.
Tiger 1 Early Taigen,
Tiger 1 Mid Torro,
Tiger 1 Late Taigen,
King Tiger Taigen (P)
Jagdtiger Torro
King Tiger (H)
King Tiger Torro (H)
Tiger 1 late Torro
Panther G Taigen

Return to “Show Off”