1/6 Stuart M5 Research Phase

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

1/6 Stuart M5 Research Phase

Post by PainlessWolf »

.I.E. "Learning how to Cold Cast Resin" *Chuckles* I've had one of the 'RC' 21st Century Stuarts for years now and have been meaning to turn it into a proper RC tank. Since my Tiger 1 kit build got pushed back until I can get the Tamiya Tiger that I have my eye on, it's time to get serious about the Stuart. Sassgrunt has been sending me extra parts for some time and providing insight into what I can expect doing a large scale build. I've been collecting parts myself over the years and plan to have a solid runner once all is said and done. Sassgrunt is building a High Speed Tractor and an M3 version so a lot of my spares are going to him, tracks, etc. The latest box arrived yesterday and it contains a hull and turret and some other items that will save me a huge amount of time. Thank you, Mike! Pics:
Attachments
Complete upper hull
Complete upper hull
Solid road wheels and bogies
Solid road wheels and bogies
Beautiful working tow hook
Beautiful working tow hook
Beautiful working tow hook.JPG (78.11 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
Turret minus all the cast on grousers
Turret minus all the cast on grousers
Turret minus all the cast on grousers.JPG (86.6 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
Correct Stuart M5 gun
Correct Stuart M5 gun
Correct Stuart M5 gun.JPG (85.69 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
First view of the resin mantlet that I am cleaning up to duplicate
First view of the resin mantlet that I am cleaning up to duplicate
Turret peeking through
Turret peeking through
Turret peeking through.JPG (95.46 KiB) Viewed 3301 times
An acre of bubblewrap
An acre of bubblewrap
Huge box O' Stuart stuff
Huge box O' Stuart stuff
M5 Stuart
M5 Stuart
...Here for the Dawn...
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: 1/6 Stuart M5 Research Phase

Post by PainlessWolf »

Continued...
Attachments
To top it all off, one of the excellent 'Walk Around' books by Squadron.
To top it all off, one of the excellent 'Walk Around' books by Squadron.
...minus the cast on fender skirts  Ton of time saved there.
...minus the cast on fender skirts Ton of time saved there.
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

What a haul Painless.....with your eye for detail...this will be one sharp looking runner for sure :thumbup:

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha,
I'll do my best. I've never built in this scale ( but my eyes are already anticipating an easier time of it ). Parts and upgrades are thick on the ground for the Stuart tho' so I can look forward to a fun build. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

Glad to see that it got there okay. I'll get the eighth roadwheel out to you by Thursday. I had a great deal of fun cutting off those fenders and filling in the sides of the turret where the grousers used to be. But, having decided to take the chassis in a different direction; it looked like I did all that work for nothing. So, I was very happy to find out that the parts would help out your own build. It's a great basis for a build, (and one that won't take up half-a-garage, as Alpha says). -Mike
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mike,
As much of a hand as you will have had in it, I plan on naming it, 'Mike's Maurader' ;o) For the resin mantlet, I've been looking into types of resin and I'll use a kit from that site I posted the link to. The original piece will need a little cleanup first. Thanks again, my Friend. I'll keep an eye peeled for the next box.
with all regards,
Painless
Last edited by PainlessWolf on Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Think you will have fun with casting Painless....the good stuff sets really fast...so make sure your mold is ready ....plastic dixie cups are good for mix..wax coated not so much...the wax might smoke out 8O ....and as soon as you pour the mix into the mold...toss the cup..not good to handle for too long ;)

Have some experience with that stuff...it's fun...the resin is durable (more so than surfboard type)...but it sets so fast...even doing a cold mix...the first time I did it ...it was like seconds before it turned white (both components are clear)

Good Luck with this one ...It'll be cool :D

ALPHA
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Alpha,
Thanks for the encouragement, Doc. Mike's mantlet is small enough for a first pour piece. The trick will be getting the tubes in the right places so that the air goes out quick and the remnants are easy to sand\file\remove and not in an obvious location.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

PainlessWolf wrote:Alpha,
Thanks for the encouragement, Doc. Mike's mantlet is small enough for a first pour piece. The trick will be getting the tubes in the right places so that the air goes out quick and the remnants are easy to sand\file\remove and not in an obvious location.
regards,
Painless
I never worried about mold breathers for small stuff....not sure how much alterations you have to make to the original...but building that up with miliput...then pressing it into some Play Dough should be fine....the method worked well for me back then...you can make custom fit mold holders with ...of all things...LEGO :haha: :haha:

For the areas that go deep...just poke a few holes at the deepest points with a tooth pick (gravity will pull the excess into the holes and leave something like a sprue...careful not to go too deep..as an air pocket could form behind it ...this stuff sets fast)..then reshape the resin (like cleaning off flash or clipping off a sprue) after you clean off the Play Dough ...you can use clay too...clean up isn't as easy....as Play Dough is water sol ;)

ALPHA

PS. Any residual IE: sanding dust ...KEEP...the minor even major imperfections can be filled with it...just put the dust in say an air hole...put a drop of super glue and the hole will be filled in no time flat :thumbup:
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

I was dusting the shelf of 1/72 stuff and my eye fell on the Stuart there. It is sort of a mix of an M3 and an M5 but the paint was what caught my eye...Pics:
Attachments
Interesting paint
Interesting paint
172 Stuart
172 Stuart
...Here for the Dawn...

Return to “Larger Scale Military”