Decision time - Electronics for the Cromwell

Discuss your radio gear here!
macman
Private

Decision time - Electronics for the Cromwell

Post by macman »

My Cromwell needs its electronics, in this I have no experience at all. All my tanks to date run standard HL or WSN electronics and I was thinking of putting a HL 2.4 Ghz system in the Cromwell(and that was me pushing the boat out!!).

However after watching maxmekker' video of his T-34 and King Tiger I was so impressed I'm having a re-think. I have read countless threads on the various solutions, but can't decide.

Questions/Comments:

- I'm using the Taigen recoil and elevation unit. I've had a look and this seems to only be compatible with the RX-18, is that correct?
- Do any of the solutions available have the sound file for a Meteor engine?
- Have the option to make it battle ready
- Independently control the headlight and spotlight
- I'd like to avoid any track recoil
- Be relatively easy to setup, my experience with electronics and soldering irons is basic at best

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Axis -H/L Panzer III, H/L Panzer IV, H/L Stug III, H/L Stug III (Schurzen), H/L Panther, H/L Tiger 1(early and late) and a H/L King Tiger(Porsche)
Allies - WSN T-34/85, H/L KV-1, H/L Sherman and a scratch Cromwell(in progress)
(all 1/16th scale)
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Decision time - Electronics for the Cromwell

Post by tomhugill »

I think the IBU might work for you, it's compatible with the taigen recoil and I think Ian has done a meteor engine sound set! The other option might be to rejig the taigen recoil to use a servo. Another option is the Clark benedini option which will give the best sound! YHR has done a Cromwell so the sound set is available for sure!
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

I think the two options mentioned cover all things aside from separate switchable lights which the ibu can't. The Clark might but I'm not 100%. Both battle but people have found the Clark a little hit and miss.
wibblywobbly
Major

Post by wibblywobbly »

If you are looking for Cromwell sounds, and as little hassle as possible, then you are really looking at an IBU2, or an Elmod. Both have programmable sounds so you can put what you want on them. Creating the sound files is a bit of a learning curve, but it's more to do with learning your way around Audacity than anything to do with the boards.

The Benedini/Clark option will do it, but my personal view is that I would go for a 'one board' solution. It looks like space might be an issue in the Cromwell hull? Eg Board, receiver, battery and speaker.

With the IBU2 you should be able to get info on getting the recoil working from our worthy vendor, or the manufacturers who are also on the forum.

If you are feeling rich, :P , you could ask Bovington if they have a sound file that you can buy, it would give you an excellent starting point for the sound files.

This is what they sound like

Tiger 1 Late
Panther G
King Tiger
M36 B1
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

wibblywobbly wrote:The Benedini/Clark option will do it, but my personal view is that I would go for a 'one board' solution. It looks like space might be an issue in the Cromwell hull? Eg Board, receiver, battery and speaker
A Clark and a benedini is probably a smaller footprint than the ibu with the added advantage you can spread them about. Also if your going into the sound making side of thing the benedini is a lot more straight forward.
macman
Private

Post by macman »

My laptop died for 24 hours...

Thanks for the feedback, I've watched that video many times. Sounds great on the TV with some bass!!

I like the sound of the IBU2, does what I need including the headlight/spotlight and for the money it looks spot-on. Although my confusion is that everything I have read says the benedini will give the easier sound option. I want it to sound right, otherwise I may as well stick with HL electronics........ :problem: :think:

Going to ask if the IBU2 has a meteor sound set. Tomhugill you mentioned Ian may have done a sound set, pardon my ignorance but is Ian on this forum?
Axis -H/L Panzer III, H/L Panzer IV, H/L Stug III, H/L Stug III (Schurzen), H/L Panther, H/L Tiger 1(early and late) and a H/L King Tiger(Porsche)
(all 1/16th scale)
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

Hi Macman, yes pm to tankbear - that's his moniker, he is the all-knowing fundi on IBU2 (and many other electronic issues) and also supplies them.
Cheers Alwyn
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
macman
Private

Post by macman »

Thanks Alwyn, I'll PM him now
(all 1/16th scale)
Tankbear
Lieutenant

Post by Tankbear »

Hi Macman,

Regarding the IBU2/benedini sound is easier. This is referring to the creating of the sounds. To make sounds for the IBU2 you need

Engine start
Engine Idle
Engine slow
Engine medium
Engine fast
Engine rev up
Engine rev down
Engine stop

Now the engine slow, medium, fast can be anything from 3 sound samples to 40 and the IBU2 will take the input from the throttle stick position and play the correct sound.

This is where the bedenini is easier, for the different engine speeds you have 1 sound file and the bedenin will alter the speed and pitch of that file to suit throttle stick position. Therefore much less work for the user to comply a full range of engine speed sounds.

Now if your not interested in creating your own sound files, which is 98% of IBU2 users then you can select from a choice of 17 tank sound sets already present on the supplied microSD card.

Meteor engine, yes I started to create one, but never truly finished it as only 1 customer at the time wanted it and become low priority. I can probably put something together from the you tube video to save you the head ache of creating the correct sounds.

Ian.
www.mad-tanks.weebly.com
www.rctankelectronics.com
www.rc-truck.weebly.com
www.rc-boat.weebly.com
macman
Private

Post by macman »

Ian,

Thank you for the post, I was part way through a PM but am in the office today and kept on getting distracted. No need now as you answered by questions before I even asked them! :thumbup:

I had found this video, sounds great when it gets running and the exhaust glowing

I'll send you a PM about acquiring an IBU
(all 1/16th scale)

Return to “Radio Gear”