Sdkfz 222 build by Johnf

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
Johnf
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Sdkfz 222 build by Johnf

Post by Johnf »

I recently bought this model from a friend who lost interest... Kit is already on it's second build and paint job. Never upgraded. Just basic assembly and very basic paintwork. I have completely stripped down the kit ready for paint removal.

Paint stripped and coat of etch primer.

Reassembly and base coating started.

Wheels are very flat. I do not have access to a lathe but have managed some reprofiling. Maybe I will pick up a lathe, (and learn to use it), before I finish.

Body work started. I have made hinges to resemble the 222 hinges. The kit hinges are non functional.

ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Sdkfz 222 build by Johnf

Post by ALPHA »

WoW John.... is that a 1/6th... it looks like you did a super job of restoring it.... Hope you allow us to watch as you bring it back to life... :D

ALPHA
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Hi Alpha, yes 1/6 scale. By Armortek. 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steer. I have moved on a bit but will add more photos later. Planning on some interior detail also. The electronics take up a lot of space. I would have been happy with a static model but as it came with motion packs I will go RC. I might not add the turret motors though as I want to add some gun detail and the kit motors take away from the appearance.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Johnf wrote:Hi Alpha, yes 1/6 scale. By Armortek. 4 wheel drive and 4 wheel steer. I have moved on a bit but will add more photos later. Planning on some interior detail also. The electronics take up a lot of space. I would have been happy with a static model but as it came with motion packs I will go RC. I might not add the turret motors though as I want to add some gun detail and the kit motors take away from the appearance.
Armortech...so is it all metal? ...pretty nice John...is there no way of lowering the floor in order to make the turret spin?

ALPHA
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

The turret is connected to the gun. No problem getting the turret and gun functional. I jyst do not want to see the motors. Elevation is controlled by a servo but the turret rotation needs quite a big motor. Wait and see. All metal apart from the tyres :D

Here are more photos.

I cut rte rear section of the body off to make a functional engine bay access. Now I need to make hinges to attach the newly made more detailed parts.

I am making the storage boxes from brass. The kit did not have many of these. Kit contained the main box but not functional. and two rear mudguard boxes which were just blocks of alloy.

I have made replacement rear mudguards from brass. The kit mudguard angle was incorrect base on drawing and photos I have examined. This will mean the main array of storage boxes supplied will also require replacement.

Some parts were missing from the kit so replacements made.

That is as far as I have got so far. Things will slow down now for a while.
Johnf

Post by Johnf »

Interesting link to a video of original 222

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSKzOkg8ceI
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Neat Build John, and of course your excellent attention to detail. Between you and Cliff I am to embarassed to post my work. :haha:

Perhaps I shall develop the nerve soon, after graduation maybe,I reviewed your Tiger once again. Everytime I do some new detail I overlooked catches my attention. Brilliant.

Have you considered a 251 SdKfz? Soon FOA-Tanks will offer an RC version with metal track and working suspension,I'll post the release in Hobby News asap. I think you might be impressed by this offering,pretty unique.

Cheers Mate,

All the best,
Blake
Urban dictionary-SAXONDOG-derogatory term for anglosaxon people
SovereignZuul
Corporal

Post by SovereignZuul »

Stop taunting me John! Now I really want to start mine as well....

Glad to see you share the pics elsewhere, really looking forward to your progress. :thumbup:
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

SovereignZuul wrote:Stop taunting me John! Now I really want to start mine as well....

Glad to see you share the pics elsewhere, really looking forward to your progress. :thumbup:
YOU DO 1/6 TOO ZUUL?????????????? 8O

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Saxondog wrote:Neat Build John, and of course your excellent attention to detail. Between you and Cliff I am to embarassed to post my work. :haha:

Perhaps I shall develop the nerve soon, after graduation maybe,I reviewed your Tiger once again. Everytime I do some new detail I overlooked catches my attention. Brilliant.

Have you considered a 251 SdKfz? Soon FOA-Tanks will offer an RC version with metal track and working suspension,I'll post the release in Hobby News asap. I think you might be impressed by this offering,pretty unique.

Cheers Mate,

All the best,
Blake
Saxon...I have never seen any of your tanks... Please Sir...can we get some photos :D

ALPHA

Return to “Larger Scale Military”