Heng long T-34 OTW - I Guess this is my first entry

Marc780
Corporal

Heng long T-34 OTW - I Guess this is my first entry

Post by Marc780 »

for a build? It does seem silly to start a post when the tank is not even here yet. I will write a little bit about how my experiences with my other tanks led me to choose this one finally.

I Paid $250 O.T.D. for a 2.4 Ghz system Heng long. Thinking hard on what other people had told me here, I finally ordered the "Cadillac" edition, metal gears and tracks for $47 more.

I have been thinking about getting this tank for a long time. I considered one other tank, the Hooben T-55 - cool, unique, modern but they're really in the Ferrari category for someone like me
Also not too available. So this T-55 is not on the list anytime soon...

After 3 German tanks, with my Panzer III in pieces (due to everything breaking one function after another, I use it for a test tank for electronic mods and not sure I'll ever put it right...) I decided I wanted this T-34. No fancy camo schemes for this one, perhaps someday winter camo that's about all you can do! Also-and this isn't necessarily a bad thing-no zimmerit.

Unless the paint it comes in is particularly good (which I doubt)It WILL get a repaint and weathering. Can anyone tell me the proper color of green used on new T-34's?
Last edited by Marc780 on Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: Heng long T-34 OTW - I Guess this is my first entry

Post by ALPHA »

If you don't mind me asking Marc....who did you get it from...RCdynasty is good when they have specials...that goes for their mother company Matomart too...On EBAY ..especially for you on the continent ... Mideatech is great... you get it in less than a few days ...and the shipping is free
But suffice to say...when I got mine from them...I got the deluxe model...good choice though...the T34 is a really nice tank :thumbup:

ALPHA
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Marc,

Did you buy from Intnova then ? They are actually based in Toronto as far as I know. I think they might take the US Shipment to Niagara Falls as that's only an hour drive from Toronto. They probably have the best deal on Stock HL tanks. I always buy from them when I need a stock HL. The nice part is that they will do pick-up for me as they are on the way from my house to my office. Nothing like picking up a tank on your way to and from work....... :-)

Cash and carry too........

MichaelC.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

YOU GOT YOUR TANK FROM INTOVA? :O Man those guys are kind of expensive compared to other sellers on Ebay...the only tank I've considered from them was the 2.4 gig Tiger...but they wanted almost 300 for it 8O ...they are good for small bits..but their tanks are a tough pull for me... Mideatech has the T34 for a lot less..free ship....and all of the T34s are 2.4 so no worries on that part
Heres the same one you got ....it's on bid..but usually once one bid is put in..hardly anyone will bid over you
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4Ghz-Radio-RC ... 3a9a4de9f9
This is the Pro model...buy it now...lower on bid
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4Ghz-Radio-Co ... 3a8670520f
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4Ghz-Radio-Co ... 3a9a4ee5c6

ALPHA
MichaelC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by MichaelC »

Mideatech is good too. I ordered from them before. Its cheaper for me though with Intnova with currency and shipping although I never pay for shipping because of the cash and carry.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

MichaelC wrote:Mideatech is good too. I ordered from them before. Its cheaper for me though with Intnova with currency and shipping although I never pay for shipping because of the cash and carry.
Forgot about the exchange rate...I can see why Intova is better for you Michael ...not to mention the convenience of walking in and grabbing what you need ...wish we here in Hawaii had a shop like that

ALPHA
Marc780
Corporal

Got a "Loaded" T-34 and Very Happy I Chose It

Post by Marc780 »

I just got this Heng long T-34/85, with metal tracks and gears and 2.4 Ghz radio system. I love it! :haha:

This tank cost me $232 (£145) for everything from mideatech. The good part of the story is-there's not much to tell. Frankly unless you haven't laid eyes on this tank before, these photos might be a bit dull.
But perhaps somebody may find this post of use since it shows how the tank really looks vs some product photos on a vendor web site. So here's my T-34/85 model fresh out of the box before it has time to get dirty.
The Russian Tank Green plastic finish, with the black smudges added is very appealing and done exactly right...it would be hard for me to improve this paint and chances are I'd probably only make it worse. So I may never bother with a repaint. Am thinking about adding the white stripe on the turret though, along with the commie star.

Before I drove the tank I removed the upper hull. then I greased the gears and put a few drops of oil on the gear bushings. I have some silicone shock oil, the kind for model cars, (I use this oil on plastic parts, I heard it doesn't react to plastic like petroleum based oil might? ) and i put one drop on each road wheel axle, from the inside. I removed the tracks, put them in a metal tray, and soaked them down in Break Free CLP and then wiped them clean with a rag. Then I hung them up from a coat hanger to dry for about 4 hours, while i took the wife over to the in-laws for a visit, and then reinstalled the tracks.
I don't know if any of this lubrication, except greasing the gears, is really necessary or even beneficial or not. But it seemed logical to do it while the tank was brand new rather then later, so I did.

If anybody reading this is brand new to the hobby, my two cents and the most important advice I have is the same advice that I read here from others, repeatedly, but refused to heed until now: "IF YOU ARE IN DOUBT ABOUT WHICH TANK TO GET, BUY THE FULLY EQUIPPED/MORE EXPENSIVE ONE TO BEGIN WITH - IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER!!!"

Before I chose this particular tank vs. all the other choices available now (it seems like now there are a lot more choices of tanks available then even when I began, just earlier in this year!) I naturally considered others, their prices and how "well equipped" and I present my research below in case it might be useful to someone else. It's the Executive summary, i guess, of cost vs. what you are going to get for your money. Personally I don't want to own a tank anymore that doesn't have the 2.4 ghz radio system-I can't make anything with the cheaper radio systems work-even if i had to add the radio system later. After much money and aggravation wasted trying to fix the unfixable all my tanks (I have 4 now...) MUST have the 2.4 ghz radio system, period.

So there was never a question to me this tank was going to have the 2.4 ghz radio, the only question to me was if I should just buy the cheaper T-34 from Ebay like the one in the image below, with plastic everything, for $109 shipped-or get the more expensive one with the Heng long 2.4 Ghz radio (I emailed the seller about the $109 T-34 with 2.4 ghz radio-they said this one is not fitted with the HL or Taigen radio it is fitted with some kind of off-brand 2.4 Ghz system - but any 2.4ghz is better then the alternatives).

If you chose to get the $109 tank and tried to save a few dollars by buying the gears and tracks separately-here is what it would cost you to do that if you did it today.

So, for anybody who's interested in getting the T-34 model, here's the choices, on ebay as an example.

The differences are obvious-the $109 one is cheap but under-equipped for anybody but a casual "tankey". The Imex ones are more but it is not obvious, to me, exactly what upgrade you would be getting to make the tank worth the cost vs. the Heng Long at $242.

And the lower one in the photo is the one I ended up buying. (In the same image is a Tamiya t-34, but at that price I wouldn't buy a 1/35 scale tank no matter how good it is).

So I like the tank a lot- it's great right out of the box, It's fun to drive it around. The machine gun flashes and the sound is loud. All I plan to do is assemble and paint the add on fuel drums and add those on later).

After driving for about half hour total, the small hex bolt that holds on the idler wheel, on the port side, worked itself loose and fell off. And how i found this out was that the track fell off while driving . i lost the bolt and looked for it for half an hour, at night, and never did find the bloody thing. I put blue loctite on the replacement bolts, I'd say just loctite the idler bolts right out of the box first thing.

By the way I did paint a couple of the add on fuel drums, just to try and make them a shade or two different then the tank itself (instead of exactly color matched the way they come out of the box). And I used spray paint from Ace hardware or Lowe's i can't remember) It's "Krylon Colormaster" brand in "Italian Olive". It is a flat/matte not glossy paint and cost only $5 for the large 12 oz spray can. I thought it would be just a few shades off but in fact it is very close to the Russian Military Green, if not the exact same shade.
Last edited by Marc780 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:02 am, edited 5 times in total.
billpe
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by billpe »

Marc780 wrote: Can anyone tell me the proper color of green used on new T-34's?
It's called 4BO Green.
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, Marc,
Here is a site that will be of interest to you: http://www.4bogreen.com/colors
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Mideatech...............terrific Marc... little impetuous guy you :haha: ...couldn't wait for the bid ....even if it ends they relist it two days later ;) ....you could have saved 20 dollars :haha:
Just a note...check Phils build thread...he clocked the springs ....I did a mix on mine....it works great..climbs like a mountain goat :thumbup:

Good luck with yours...Enjoy it :D

ALPHA

Return to “T-34”