My first tank build.

jackalope
Lieutenant

My first tank build.

Post by jackalope »

Hello all I thought this a better place then the introduction forum for detailing my first tank build. So like VERY many of you I'm starting off with a Heng Long Tiger I tank and I've been reading many of your builds and I must say I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship and time and care you all have put into your models and I've gotten many ideas, my wife says thanks :haha: .

Anyway my first mod was to the suspension following the guide here on how to stiffen the suspension and I must say it worked perfectly, thank you very much Birger I also plan to use many more of you how to's.

Next up I didn't like the bright silver of the tracks and I read about using gun bluing to make them black, yet ANOTHER awesome idea! Thank you whom ever came up with it first. So I went to the gun shop and picked up 2 bottles of instant gun bluing and went at them and sure enough they were black. However upon looking at pics of Tigers in the wild I noticed none of them had all black tracks more like a rainbow of colors ranging from black to rust so I got thinking and the next mod is all mine! I went out to my garage and got my bottle Brownells rust bluing and the sodium nitrate I had (sodium nitrate is used to make the bluing, blacker. I had these left over from last year when I redid a 1913 Luger left to me by my grandfather who brought it back from WWII. He also served in WWI in France) and thought I'd see what happens. I washed off the instant bluing and hit them with a wash of the Brownells rust bluing with a pinch of sodium nitrate mixed in and let them sit outside in the sun for a while and rinsed them off and then ran them thru a mixture off the 2 types of bluing mixed together. The results were PERFECT! They are a mixture of every shade from coal black to bright rust! I put them back on the tank and drove it thru my neighbors gravel and rock driveway and they look like real tracks now. Pics to come as soon as my wife and daughters come back with the camera from vacation.

I also found the rear idler wheels sat too far inward when viewed in line with the road wheels, thanks goes to GIJoe76 for the idea of putting a washer (or 2 in the case of the right side of my Tiger) behind the idlers to space them further out and make them more inline with the road wheels. The washers and the stiffened suspension made a BIG difference in my Tiger not throwing its tracks as easy, sadly however it will still throw them at times if I try to turn on anything but concrete, blacktop or dirt. Gravel or stones they'll pop off maybe 10 to 15% of the time, however grass and they seem to just fall off. :thumbdown:

More to come later when I get my metal parts in and the wife gets home. :D
ALPHA
Major-General

Re: My first tank build.

Post by ALPHA »

Boy... I'll have to get one of the new versions of Heng Long's Tiger.... My current Tiger trashes any terrain with no problem... hits wall and comes slamming down and keeps on keeping on...I wonder what changes were made to make them so sensitive :think:

Hope your wife left room on the camera's memory card Jack :haha:

Have a good oneImage

ALPHA
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Hey Alpha would you mind taking a pic or 2 of your tracks and how they sit on the idlers? Best view would be with the mudflaps removed looking downward from above. I think I know what my Tigers problem is but I would like to see another one before I start cutting. I think the right side rear idler was installed at an angle, swept forward toward the road wheels. When the tracks are on the right side is not straight when viewed from above its canted toward the outside of the tank, the left one is too but not as bad. I may have to remove the mounting part where the screw goes in, put on a new piece and redrill the holes.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jackalope wrote:Hey Alpha would you mind taking a pic or 2 of your tracks and how they sit on the idlers? Best view would be with the mudflaps removed looking downward from above. I think I know what my Tigers problem is but I would like to see another one before I start cutting. I think the right side rear idler was installed at an angle, swept forward toward the road wheels. When the tracks are on the right side is not straight when viewed from above its canted toward the outside of the tank, the left one is too but not as bad. I may have to remove the mounting part where the screw goes in, put on a new piece and redrill the holes.
Sure... I'll take one with the tracks on and one off if that will help ;)

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Greetings Jack
Here are the photos you requested... :D

Gratuitous appearance of the commander that oversees the KUROMORIMIRO school of tankery ;)
Tracks on...sun off
Tracks off ...sun on
apparently I was in err..my idlers are connected to the hull...still with that said...no problems with the tracks coming off

Good Luck :thumbup:

Happy TankingImage

ALPHA
jackalope
Lieutenant

Post by jackalope »

Thanks Alpha, going to measure mine and see if its the same. Wife will be home today pics of mine will be up shortly.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Hope it was the correct angle for you... the idlers sit pretty straight...and it takes a lot to derail the tracks..so at this point if yours is still coming off..something must be really out of alignment

Once again Good luck Jack... will wait for some pictures of yours :thumbup:

Happy TankingImage

ALPHA
Lord Haw-Haw
Private

Post by Lord Haw-Haw »

ALPHA wrote: Image
Where do you get your figures?
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

Lord Haw-Haw wrote:
Where do you get your figures?
Sorry for the late reply lord.... I scratchbuild them...I have a background building garage kits......so it comes pretty easily to me
Some of the figures are becoming more available... but mostly for the Oarai school ...Specifically the Panzer IV...they have the entire crew in 1/35th scale... and someone sent me a note saying they have the Miho figure in 1/16th ...thing is when I went to check it ..it was sold out...which usually means they may not be able to get them again... thing about resin figures... when they make them..they make a few thousand...the mold is usually shot ...so unless the manufacturer made several back up molds... once the figure has sold out ...you generally don't see them till the figure hits the China market where they do recasts

But essentially that's the long and short of it... I scratch them and paint them ;)

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

jackalope wrote:Thanks Alpha, going to measure mine and see if its the same. Wife will be home today pics of mine will be up shortly.
Any updates Jack?

ALPHA

Return to “Tiger I”