StuG III MG 34 fibre optic mod

This section contains tips and tricks on building and running model vehicles. If you know any then post them here and if you need to find any, try your first search here.
Forum rules
This section is for posting helpful Tips and Tricks only. Questions need to be posted within general questions section viewforum.php?f=14
Crispy
Sergeant

StuG III MG 34 fibre optic mod

Post by Crispy »

Looks like Im starting a StuG III series ;)

I was looking at the MG34 on my StuG and thinking how HL fitting the machine gun flashing LED to the drivers vision slot is the only real bad thing on it. I then wondered how difficult it would be to reposion the LED and run a fibreoptic cable from it to the MG34 on the loaders hatch. When i filled the gaps under the fender I notice the MG LED was only hot glued in place so that shouldnt be too hard to move once i finally get the hull opened. So i decided to see if I could drill out the plastic MG34 barrel well enough to run a fibreoptic cable down it.

I started by cutting the barrel off the rear of the gun just after the mounting point as the drills i have wouldnt be able to do the whole barrel in one go. At first i figured i'd drill from the mussel end as far as i could go and angle the cut down so it would eventually emerge on the underside of the barrel. I could then cut a groove to the end of the barrel, run the cable in this and fill it back in with milliput. But the drilling went much better than expected and the drill got almost as far is it could go before finally emerging. I then drilled a corresponding hole from the rear end to meet up with the first hole, cleaned up the meeting point by opening up the groove and checked the cable would run through it fine.

I then drilled a hole into the rear section of the gun to emerge just by the pistol grip on the side the figure will be holding it so his hand & arm will eventually hide the cable. The front barrel was them glued onto the armour plate and I'm currently making a small bracket to fix the rear of the gun to the same point and hold it at the correct angle.

Here's a test vidoe of how bright the fibre optic cable is running through the barrel:

The white light at the beginning is the front light on the StuG. The red light is the LED but it seems my little camera didnt pick up the flashing.

Not bad for the price of a bit of fibre optic cable... which had been sitting in the bits box for years  ;D
Last edited by Crispy on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You aint gettin me on no plane fool!
Rocketman
Sergeant

Re: StuG III MG 34 fibre optic mod

Post by Rocketman »

Clever 8)  ( my idea lads but ill let him have it  ;)  )

I taught you well my young paddawan..........(jess sleeping well today I take it?)
Dorking First Light Foot and Mouth (Mechanised)
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

Funnily enough yes, she's sleeping like a baby!

Your idea eh?  Didnt you say i'd never be able to drill out the barrel so I should buy a metal one... eventhough nobody sells them ::)

BTW How's your leg oh wise one ;D
Rocketman
Sergeant

Post by Rocketman »

nah not me guv, all my idea!  i may not be able to have spidermans abilities but I do have good ideas!

And the foot is sore and swollen thankyou.... :-[
Dorking First Light Foot and Mouth (Mechanised)
grompix
Sergeant

Post by grompix »

Brilliant idea Nic. I was thinking about doing the same thing myself but you've got there first! Are you still placing the MG LED in the tank?  I was thinking of having the LED in the gunner figure with the fibre optic running down his arm.

Cheers
Chris  ;D
Crispy
Sergeant

Post by Crispy »

I was thinking i'd relocate the LED to near the loaders hatch, and have a tube running from the loaders compartment to the LED. That way i can still have the MG34 and gun shield removeable and I'd just need to feed the fibreoptic cable back into the tube when its refitted. The figure will just hide the cable... now all i need to do is find a suitable figure :-[

Just put gun & shield back on the StuG and taped the optical cable in place to see how it looks.

Video isnt great due to the low light but Im happy with that  ;) Here's how it looks with the cable coming out of the gun. just need to move the LED and run the cable into the loaders compartment.

Last edited by Crispy on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tips and Tricks”