spraying humbrol gloss varnish

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
daktari
Private

spraying humbrol gloss varnish

Post by daktari »

hi
this afternoon went to put on a coat of gloss varnish on my tiger.
was using humbrol gloss cote and mixed it with precision paint quick air drying thinners mixed to the usual consistency . did a test spray it was splutering and lumpy looked at the jar and the two were separating, ive used quickdrying thinners for years with enamel paint and never a problem.
today is the first time ive sprayed there varnish.
i mixed somemore but this time using humbrol thinners perfect just longer to dry.

any ideas why this happened.

daktari
mcevoyi
2nd Lieutenant

Re: spraying humbrol gloss varnish

Post by mcevoyi »

Hi there

Not being a chemist .....the problem is your mixing different brands of paint ...
And it never works out well .....and may i ask why are you useing a gloss varnish on a tank ?..noooooo i never use gloss ....a satin is more accurate ...and if its for decals .,its just as effective as a gloss ...

Next time use humbrol with humbrol .....or turpentine to thin......for airbrush in a well ventilated area ..when spraying

dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Yeeessss, use gloss! LOL! I find it is better than satin for pin washing to get paint to "run" around things and I find satin still gives a cloud effect on decals. Satin is good as the final sealer though...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
daktari
Private

Post by daktari »

hi
the gloss is prior to decals and weathinhg it will then get a cote of satin or matt .
as far as the mixing of differant brands ive mixed humbrol and precion before with no problems.
this afternoon i spoke to preision paint at the model enginering show and they told me humbrol keep changing there fomula depending which country they decide to get it manufactured in so from now on its humbrol with humbrol.
having fun
dak
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I always use acrylic paint and up to now acrylic matt varnish but due to finger trouble some while ago I bought a couple of spray cans of Humbrol Enamel Matt Varnish, question, can I use them over acrylic paint or would the world come shuddering to a halt or worse my models explode? shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
blimp
Sergeant

Post by blimp »

Enamel over acrylic ( and vise versa ) is fine , enamel paint just takes longer to dry . Remember that multiple thin coats are best .
to the bouncy room ! Yay !
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

You are a fine person and I thank you. shaun
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “Painting and Weathering”