Advice needed on pin wash

This board contains guides to painting and weathering, please post your tips, tricks and tutorials here.
cupoftea
Corporal

Advice needed on pin wash

Post by cupoftea »

I sure would appreciate some advice on how to make deltails like panel lines and bolts etc 'pop' on a model tank:
My tiger 1 is sprayed in tamiya dark yellow but that is about my current skill limit with paint. Problem is it looks too bland and uniform and I would love to highlight the details but have read that I need a gloss surface to make a pin wash work. Basically I am rather nervous of applying a gloss finish for fear of messing up what I have done so far. Basically I was wondering if there is another way of achieving a similar effect?

Many thanls for any advice.
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Advice needed on pin wash

Post by tomhugill »

You don't need a gloss finish at all. If you look at my tiger build I use a pin wash over the tamiya dark yellow and camo and I works fine. I usually do my pin washes after the base coats and any highlights but before the other weathering. If you need any more advice shoot me a pm.
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

Pin wash is as it implies. Since you are not going to do clear coat you will have a tougher time getting the thinned out black paint to "run" in the cracks, crevices, and hatch lines.

What I would suggest is have a container of water and a container of el cheapo water colour black paint thinned with water about 90% water 10% paint. 2 fine brushes at least 0 5 and what you do is take a little water first and run it in the channel you want to pin wash. Then with the other brush get a little paint on it and touch it in the channel at variuos spots and you will see it "run"along the channel!
Experiment with it a little in an inconspicous spot till you get the hang of the volume of water/paint you need to accomplish the look you want.
Another little trick is to use a #4 pencil and draw in a metal look. Then take a Q-tip or something similar and rub along the pencil line. I actually do a combination of both.

then you can flat coat everything! :D
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

One of my old secrets...coffee :haha: ....also tobacco water....make sure you seal it after ... ;)

ALPHA

Return to “Painting and Weathering”