Need Help on Leo 2

trackmech81
Lance Corporal

Need Help on Leo 2

Post by trackmech81 »

Alright, I have been working on this monster off and on for a couple years. I want to do it right the first time and still have some things to iron out.
(1) I want to relocate the battery to the lower hull. I know its been done before, but does anybody have any good pics?
(2) I want to add a slip ring, but I am certain I will need to relocate the wires to the motors as they draw more than 2 amps. Has this been done by anybody or does anybody have any ideas?
(3) I would really like to make a metal lower hull. Any good laser cutters out there?

I did use the search option before asking, and found some useful info, but nothing Leo 2 specific.
hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Re: Need Help on Leo 2

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Hi mate not sure about a leo but if you look at "other builds" 1/12 gulf veteran Abram its my tank and the batteries and control system are in the lower hull and I used a 15 wire CCTV slip ring unit to transfer and power all the turret electrics is this whot you are looking for? if it is if you want to pm me I'll give you my mobile (in the UK) and I can tell where the parts came from.
regards Denzil
opp's you said get off the road
trackmech81
Lance Corporal

Post by trackmech81 »

Thanks for the input, and I did look at your build. I am thinking of moving the battery and most of the electronics into the lower hull. This will free up weight in the turret and allow me to use a 12 wire slip ring. The problem I was facing is everything on the LEO is in the turret and I would have needed a slip ring that could handle 4 lines with 30-50 amps each. Moving everything will also lower the center of gravity which will make climbing better too.
Beautiful M1 by the way.
Pcomm1
Corporal

Post by Pcomm1 »

hawkeye3guns
Corporal

Post by hawkeye3guns »

Thanks for the comment . When I was looking around the biggest amp wise slip ring I could find was 9 amps from china and then it, for me it was stupid money at just over £200. my unit according to tech's spec will only handle 2.3 amps (where the .3 comes from I do not know. Best of luck with your hunting.
opp's you said get off the road
trackmech81
Lance Corporal

Post by trackmech81 »

Pcomm1, I saw this build as well. I like the hindge for the upper hull, and may try to copy it. I'm tossing around ideas for my own hull reinforcement since the AFV kit is almost $180 delivered to the US and I think I will get a custom battery pack made that hugs the front lower hull and gives the longest run time. My biggest problem now is the DMD unit and its motor outputs. These are rated at higher amp outputs so I need a good slip ring. I will look into the CCTV ones. I'm adding this line to confirm this is a Tamiya build since the forum rule not is not letti g me make this reply.

Return to “Leopard”