M1A2 ABRAMS 1/6th scale scratch build

Post all your larger scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Military Vehicles, build threads here. From 1/12 all the way up to 1/4! all here! Your Larger Scale figures are also welcome here.
SpudNik
Recruit

M1A2 ABRAMS 1/6th scale scratch build

Post by SpudNik »

Hi all
Just thought I would show the work I have done so far in my 1/6th scale Abrams tank build.
This is an all metal build.

This is the suspension units I am making for each road wheel, they are capable of carrying 16kg's each so should hold up the expected 150kg end weight of the project

This is the main chassis of the tank, its cut out of 4mm Mild Steel

The cassis starting to get welded together

Couple of pics of the turret skin cut from 1.6 Mild Steel (the 1mm I originally used was to thin)

The base and top of the turret, the base is 2mm Mild Steel

Couple of shots where im sizing everything and checking clearances

All primed up and stored in the workshop

Now I have to make the tracks out of 6mtrs of 2060 chain. fabricate the suspension units and build the road wheels etc

If you interested in more have a look at my build log at the address below, I will be updating this with progress
http://spudnik1970.blogspot.co.nz/

Grant
lister fiend
Sergeant

Re: M1A2 ABRAMS 1/6th scale scratch build

Post by lister fiend »

hey grant
thats some fine looking work there :thumbup:
keep it comming fella
lister
SpudNik
Recruit

Post by SpudNik »

Cut the new suspension units today, will post video once its uploaded.

SpudNik
Recruit

Post by SpudNik »

Video of cutting the suspension units and also the travel of the units

Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi SpudNik ,
Stunning video of the Water Jet cutting through the metal.. :thumbup: .......I guess that you have your own 'Work-Shop' there as a business, or a VERY understanding boss ! What is the maximum thickness that it can cut..and do I dare ask how long the 'nozzles' last that direct the jet ?
Please keep us posted on the build....This is an incredible piece machinery that you are building... !!!
Alb.
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
SpudNik
Recruit

Post by SpudNik »

Dietrich wrote:Hi SpudNik ,
Stunning video of the Water Jet cutting through the metal.. :thumbup: .......I guess that you have your own 'Work-Shop' there as a business, or a VERY understanding boss ! What is the maximum thickness that it can cut..and do I dare ask how long the 'nozzles' last that direct the jet ?
Please keep us posted on the build....This is an incredible piece machinery that you are building... !!!
Alb.
Hay, it can cut just about any material on the planet up to a max of 200mm thick, and that's because that's how high above the bed the head can lift.
the jet is produce by a diamond that has a .6mm (thickness of the cut) hole through itit then goes through the focusing tube and uses a vortex to suck garnet into the water stream, the garnet is then speed up to 3x the speed of sound in about 100mm to were it comes out the end of the nozel.
The diamonds last about 100 hours and the focusing tube lasts about 50hours before the cut starts to widen and the jet becomes unfocused, it will still cut its just the thickness of the cut starts to increase but you can counter this buy telling the cutting software that the jet offset is now .35 etc instead of the .3mm when new.

The machine is my brothers and I go in and help him draw up jobs and cut them for him in exchange to access to it, its a good deal and without it there is no way it would be progressing as it is.
Dietrich
Staff Sergeant

Post by Dietrich »

Hi SpudNik,
Thank you for the reply.....That machine is awesome !! ..200 mm is incredible .....Perfect for DIY surgery..... 8O
Can the cutting fluid be 'Filtered' and reused ?...I guess not due to contamination....
Its a great arrangement that you have with your brother...He doesn't want anymore 'Help' or live in France does he, by any chance ??.. :haha:
Alb.
Never Forget......
   The Propaganda of the Victors....... becomes the History of the Vanquished
SpudNik
Recruit

Post by SpudNik »

The cutting fluid is water, plain and simple water from the tap, it uses no more water than a garden hose :)
And yes if needed it can be filtered and reused. the system filters it quite well as it comes out of the hose anyway but you can buy a unit that sits next to the machine and filters and cools the water if needs be
We are based in New Zealand so we probably could not be much further away from France
SpudNik
Recruit

Post by SpudNik »

The cutting fluid is water, plain and simple water from the tap, it uses no more water than a garden hose :)
And yes if needed it can be filtered and reused. the system filters it quite well as it comes out of the hose anyway but you can buy a unit that sits next to the machine and filters and cools the water if needs be
We are based in New Zealand so we probably could not be much further away from France
SpudNik
Recruit

Post by SpudNik »

Have finally received the 2060 chain for the tracks

Started cutting out the parts for the drive hubs
Main drive gears cut from 10mm Mild Steel

Inside and outside sprockets cut from 6mm Aluminium, these are more for show as all the drive load will be going through the main drive gear

Return to “Larger Scale Military”