It's finally here!!! My Tamiya Jagdpanther.

Glory71
Private

Re: It's finally here!!! My Tamiya Jagdpanther.

Post by Glory71 »

Continued…

It took me an entire week (or 16 hours total) to paint the upper hull. I wanted the stripes but I want it straight. Also, using masking tapes is something I have only considered as a 2nd option. Using masking tapes will give those 'hard' edges...something I do not want, so I cut and used (about 7 different shapes and sizes) the carton of a soda can for guide. The over spray using these 'guides" is just but right.

So to Weapon, you were asking earlier what I wanted for this Tamiya Jagdpanther build...here it is.
Last edited by Glory71 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
A reporter ask a US Delta Force Sniper based in Afghanistan - "What do you feel when you shoot them (Taliban)?" ... "Recoil".
Glory71
Private

Post by Glory71 »

Continued…

working on the Jagdpanther exhaust with a rusty look.
A reporter ask a US Delta Force Sniper based in Afghanistan - "What do you feel when you shoot them (Taliban)?" ... "Recoil".
Glory71
Private

Post by Glory71 »

Continued…

As I have mentioned earlier, I intended to re-arranged all the tools and move most of them at the back. A few internet sites helped me locate where tank crew placed them.
Last edited by Glory71 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glory71
Private

Post by Glory71 »

Continued…

Finally! I finished the rear panel. I did not cement the "C" hook but instead I used a regular sewing pin (cut to size) and the metal chains I purchased from Steve. And this is a shutout to Steve...Steve, your customer service is excellent! Thanks man!
Glory71
Private

Post by Glory71 »

Continued…

At last! I finished something...lol. The lower part of the tank is COMPLETELY done. Covered the engine with a blue masking tape (dust protection). I will attached a fan somewhere to help cool the tank. I covered the entire bottom part of the tank with a Polyurethane clear satin paint for durability AND that wet mud look I wanted.

Also, I noticed some internet sites showing the fire extinguisher with some write ups. Instead of scribbling something, I used the tamiya decals to indicate the scale of the tank and its item code...lol...yeah right. Like I'll forget it.
Last edited by Glory71 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glory71
Private

Post by Glory71 »

THE RC4WD 2:1 Ultra Compact Gear Reduction Unit for 380 Motor works like a charm! I am almost near the scale speed of the tank. The EPOXY I placed on the ROTOR of the 380 motor worked! The tank has momentum even when I put the throttle speed to ZERO. The braking point is about 1.5 ft before the tank completely stops coming in from full throttle. Below are some of the photo of the mod I did on the rotor. I did not post this earlier as I was unsure if it will work. It was just a theory I have.

I wanted a 2:1 instead of the 3:1 because of the work I was about to do on the motor itself. There is a huge difference between an AC vs DC motor. If we look at an AC motor, the rotor will keep on spinning even after one has already shut the unit off. This is what I hope to do but on a DC motor. Thus I placed an enormous amount of epoxy on the rotor itself. In theory...this extra weight (and external load) with give it some momentum.

AND about the scale speed. Data shows that the real Jagdpanther moves at about 46 km/hr on road and about 24 km/hr cross country. Computing...it's 1:16th scale speed is about 22.37 inches/sec (on road) and about 11.66 inches/sec (cross country). I did 10 trials (on carpet) with about 5 feet away from the starting line to have the tank reach its full speed. This yielded an average of about 19.2 inches per second (top speed) or about 39.5 km/hr if it were 1:1 scale. Of course I cannot do an inches per second time trial so what I did was 10 trials of inches per 5 seconds.

DATA:

Time Trial

Average: 8 feet per 5 seconds or about 19.2 inches per second.

1:1 scale

On Road - 46 km/hr
Cross Country - 24 km/hr

My tank if it were 1:1 in scale yielded 39.5 km/hr (on carpet...lol)

1:16 scale

On Road - 22.37 inches per second

My tank - 19.20 inches per second

Also the creeping (slowest) speed of the tank is so slow that I think an ANT could race it...lol. I did loose the tank hull recoil. Oh well... :(
Last edited by Glory71 on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Weapon
Recruit

Post by Weapon »

Great build!  :) I like what you did with the relocation of the cleaning rod compartment. Might do the same in my build. I'm still waiting for the bearings and sprocket wheel guides I ordered. It should arrive within the week. Keep up the good work!
grompix
Sergeant

Post by grompix »

FANTASTIC work Jon! Goes way off the scale in a WOW factor score! A real credit to your skill and organisation.

Love to see a video of that masterpiece in action.

Cheers
Chris  ;D 
BREL
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BREL »

looking good Jon, the epoxy resin on the motor armature/rotor is a great idea, how did you get the stock motors apart without damaging them
Glory71
Private

Post by Glory71 »

Thanks guys! Much appreciated.  8)

Return to “Jagdpanther”