Mid Production M4A1 (Tiger guys do it)

Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Mid Production M4A1 (Tiger guys do it)

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Eric, I am glad you made this cast hull/cast turret Sherman: since I was a youngster (not really so long ago--unh, not really so long after WWII), my image of the Sherman tank--of any US tank--was the rounded hull/rounded turret Sherman. I would be delighted if Taigen or HengLong decide to stretch out their profits an make a good cast hull/cast turret 75 version.
Ecam
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Ecam »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:44 am I would be delighted if Taigen or HengLong decide to stretch out their profits an make a good cast hull/cast turret 75 version.
Agreed. Even a good accurate hull that could use the HL turret and lower would be great. I know that RiskyR was working on a 3D printed narrow hatch hull. I think it would sell like hot cakes!

Here is a link to RiskyR's thread viewtopic.php?p=335686#p335686
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I remember Risky's build with envy. ;D I wish Eric were still on at Imex, because he would notice this interest, at least among us yanks.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Eric,
Could you detail your methods a bit for the small hatch work on the hull?
Mikem
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

I'll look through the pictures but I'm relatively sure there will be no documentation of the embarrassing attempts that led to the end result.

Basically I cut away the resin hull just in front of the turret ring (leaving the lip that protects the turret to hull joint). The lower cut was about a 1/2 inch from the very bottom (fenders, trans). I started with the hatch rings tacked in place and started to add hull pieces (the rings ca glued at the rear inside corners only hung in space). It took about three full attempts (with complete teardowns) until I got it close enough for me. There were multi layers of card in that front hull. Once happy, Epoxy and Bondo was added until this picture. You can see at least one of the layers that was used through the hatch. After all was cured, I went back and removed some of the inside layers. I have always used cheap styrene sheet for my builds and I enjoy the possibilities, (the Ducks are nearly 100% flat card).

That gives a good idea where the cuts were made. Very little Bondo is overlapping resin.
In hindsight I wish I had more pictures, but this was really a hack job that turned out OK.

As far as plans, 2D plans are of little use when there are curves. I bet I used 50 plus reference pictures while building/sculpting this. Even in pictures it is often tough to see the curves, a fair amount of guess work is needed.
Last edited by Ecam on Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Here is a current picture from the inside complete with my temporary hot glued driver.

Hope this helps.

Eric
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Can’t beat a good cast hull Sherman! That’s why I keep going back to a large hatch cast hull HVSS :)

Great work!
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Many thanks Eric for the pics and description of your work on the hull. Looks great!

To the shop!

Mike.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 1:44 am Eric, I am glad you made this cast hull/cast turret Sherman: since I was a youngster (not really so long ago--unh, not really so long after WWII), my image of the Sherman tank--of any US tank--was the rounded hull/rounded turret Sherman. I would be delighted if Taigen or HengLong decide to stretch out their profits an make a good cast hull/cast turret 75 version.
I just noticed in your comment that you said cast hull, and didn't mention narrow hatch. Mato does make a wide hatch hull but I think they were always 76ers on both suspensions. I bought one from Forgebear. It's the one on the right. :D

Eric

Return to “Sherman”