[D-Day] M32 ARV

This section is for builds done in groups and collaboration on projects!
Ecam
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: [D-Day] M32 ARV

Post by Ecam »

Meter rat wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 9:27 am That’s it. I giving up. :D I’m pleased when I solder two wires together. And then you, Imcq11 come along.
A beautiful model.
I've considered giving up when I see Louis' builds. I appreciate you grouping me with him, but his builds are museum quality and stunning. My builds are high school science fair quality and not a ribbon winner.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Ecam wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:15 pm [quote="Meter rat" post_id=347523 time=<a href="tel:1703323635">1703323635</a> user_id=9562]
That’s it. I giving up. :D I’m pleased when I solder two wires together. And then you, Imcq11 come along.
A beautiful model.
I've considered giving up when I see Louis' builds. I appreciate you grouping me with him, but his builds are museum quality and stunning. My builds are high school science fair quality and not a ribbon winner.
[/quote]

I’m in pre nursery school..
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

More coffee on the keyboard!

I think you sell yourself way short. I've seen some of your builds and you have done excellent work. You've a great eye and your skills way farther along than what I was able to do just ten years ago.

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

As my father, somewhat disingenuously, often said:, “I flunked sandbox.” And, yes, I, too, have thought of giving up when I see the genius and skill of and many others’ builds.
I will be helping in a modest way with the 2024 International Plastic Modeler’s Society US ‘Nationals.’ I wish there would be an RC AFV display section, but travel such long distances here in North America is costly.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

OK brace yourselves, this is a picture sent via text from my brother (I'm guessing one of his kids was involved).

I am going to remake these. Serves me right for not getting the book first (but it was my plan to just use pictures I could find on the net to build this).

He did say there was no information about how these were handled in the book, however the new versions appear to be much lighter than the first pair.
Last edited by Ecam on Sun Dec 24, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

New chock block versions. Pulleys have been disassembled and painted.

Old vs new.

I have lowered the ears for the track spike.

Eric
Meter rat
Staff Sergeant

Post by Meter rat »

Ecam wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:47 pm More coffee on the keyboard!
I think you need a bib.
Herr Dr. Professor wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 4:01 pm As my father, somewhat disingenuously, often said:, “I flunked sandbox.” And, yes, I, too, have thought of giving up when I see the genius and skill of and many others’ builds.
My father was a skilled joiner and cabinet maker. I can still see the look of disappointment on his face if I did any woodworking.
I still have the ability to reduce wood to inaccurately cut sawdust.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Hold out bar. Third picture explains it better than I can.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Minimal time in the hobby room today, brewed a pot and started the heater out in the shop. Made a clevis and hook for the ARV's main cable.

I know it will sound weird to most, but my Christmas gift to myself was spending the day in the shop. I have a couple (around 40) gallons of oil from the various vehicles that have visited my shop. It is rare that someone offers to take the old oil with them. So it has been a bucket list item to make a waste oil heater for the shop. I have propane powered heater (and A/C in the hot months), but free heat in the form of left behind oil has been a wish list item. Earlier in this thread (and month) I mentioned I was roped into installing a hot water heater for a neighbor. I even offered to dispose of the old one. This is about eight hours from a mineral loaded water heater toward an oil burning heater. Most of the time spent was stripping the outer sheet metal and inner insulation from the tank. Used the plasma cutter to make two hatches. There will be a baffle between the doors. This design should allow oil burn non forced air/forced air all the way down to wood burning.

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

Ah, you work in 1:1 and 1:16 with equal facility! I write, and it seems to ephemeral to me. It takes hours of head pounding; it gets printed; and then--pfffft--it's gone. Your skills produce items useful for years. My hat's off to you.

Return to “Group Builds”