Mid Production M4A1 (Tiger guys do it)

Ecam
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Mid Production M4A1 (Tiger guys do it)

Post by Ecam »

Exhibitedbrute wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:16 pm it’s about time someone started doing Sherman’s.
I have eight and another four on the M4 chassis. I've two Tiger 1's a King tiger and pzIII and 4 but are largely untouched. Wanted to get the allied forces up to snuff. :D

And yes Herman, one T34/85.
"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

I have mentioned before that I'm not that much of a fan of the smokers that come with these tanks. Primarily because of the noise and the white smoke.....

Only a couple remain in my fleet. This is my first V7 with the newer speaker and fan powered smoker, so I thought I might give it a try. I drilled a small hole in the brass tube for some engine bay smoke and a diffuser above the exhaust tips (well above the hull). I figured I could give it a try at start up and turn it back off.

Eric
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

As you know from above, the Sherman with cast hull and cast turret is my favorite. As much as I like the idea of a bit of smoke wafting out of the engine bay (normal mid-20th century inefficient combustion), I would hesitate to let the smoke unit do so. As far as I know (from my experience with O Gauge train smoke units), the smoke liquid is based on a light vegetable oil, so it can leave a residue which could affect the electronics. Sigh: If I am wrong, I would be happy to be wrong.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Great point, the hole would be easy enough to plug...

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Not impressed with the v7 smoker yet. It is quiet, and perhaps adjusting the tubing diameter will fix things. Added a temporary driver, he may stay, or not, the jury is still out. Found an issue while checking the system. My cannon sound and track recoil (not that it is wanted) is kaput. I don't recall having that issue with my other (older) systems. I may go back and have a look. I did have to play with the motor feeds for a while till I got the tracks running in the correct direction. I didn't build a co-driver simply because for now, my on/off switch is under that hatch.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

OK, I figured out the cannon sound. On the V7.0 and 7.1 CN6 (trigger switch) needs to have a jumper or the wires tied together. No track track recoil as of now but I may have that turned off via the transmitter.

Eric
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Estnische »

Looking good. The M4A1 is also my favourite - a work horse.
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Many, many years ago, before I started researching and detailing tanks I would see some Shermans and love the looks, and others I'd go "Meh".
At some point I got hold of a book on Shermans and finally saw all of the variations and of course, it was the pugnacious cast hull M4A1 that won the beauty contest. Such a humble tank.

Your M4A1 is righteous!

Mike.
Last edited by ColemanCollector on Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Thank you gents. As I said earlier the cast hull was not one of my favorites. Then too, the 76 and 105s were low on my list. But after building this one it has sure climbed the ladder. I have a couple 76s on HVSS suspensions both Tamiya lowers one is using HL electronics (have an HL running the Tamiya controls). I have a fond spot in my heart for my first tank (M4A3 75). But I now think this M4A1 has become my favorite of the Shermans.

As was mentioned in another thread (Ad Lav's viewtopic.php?p=342148#p342148), my hull was identified as a Nick Aguilar wide hatch M4A1. But they are getting scarce. I think if someone would come up with a narrow hatch M4A1 hull to fit these lowers, there would be a whole lot more of these running around.

Eric
ColemanCollector
Sergeant

Post by ColemanCollector »

Ecam wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:39 pm As was mentioned in another thread (Ad Lav's viewtopic.php?p=342148#p342148), my hull was identified as a Nick Aguilar wide hatch M4A1. But they are getting scarce. I think if someone would come up with a narrow hatch M4A1 hull to fit these lowers, there would be a whole lot more of these running around.
Yes, yes there would be!

Mike.

Return to “Sherman”