It's finally here!!! My Tamiya Jagdpanther.

Glory71
Private

Re: It's finally here!!! My Tamiya Jagdpanther.

Post by Glory71 »

Back to working on the tank again.

April 8th to 10th
A reporter ask a US Delta Force Sniper based in Afghanistan - "What do you feel when you shoot them (Taliban)?" ... "Recoil".
Glory71
Private

Post by Glory71 »

made some reinforcement to help minimize barrel wobble
A reporter ask a US Delta Force Sniper based in Afghanistan - "What do you feel when you shoot them (Taliban)?" ... "Recoil".
Glory71
Private

Post by Glory71 »

Recoil Mod

Before I considered doing this, I checked the materials used on gears of the recoil unit. They seem to be made of polycarbonate having the least possible glass fibers unlike the conventional ones. These I think are similar to the Airsoft polycarbonate piston that is subjected to tremendous force (both pulling and pushing) especially on its teeth. Having believed this to be the case, I proceeded with this mod.

STEP 1: Making a Sector Type Gear out of that big flat gear at the bottom

1. Make sure the tab is dead center
2. Mark the tooth of gear “Bâ€
Glory71
Private

Post by Glory71 »

Removable Gun Cover

I knew I will keep on opening this tank so cementing the main gun cover (as instructed on the manual) is a no go for me. So I decided to make it removable.
Glory71
Private

Post by Glory71 »

Fellow Tankers,

I made a video on a recoil mod I just did. Thank you so much to all of you who have contributed to this. Hope you like this small video I just made…happy days ahead!

Cheers and Happy Easter to all!!!

LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDw9L4mU9s (best watched on HD).
Last edited by Glory71 on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
grompix
Sergeant

Post by grompix »

Brilliant work Jon!
I tried a mod like that a couple of years ago and ended up with a screwed recoil unit! I must give it a go again after seeing your mod.

Cheers
Chris  ;D
Glory71
Private

Post by Glory71 »

thanks Chris. However, I am but your student. You are my guru, teacher, friend, and father...lol. Looking at your pic off YouTube - I think you're old enough to be my father...>>. Anyways, the recoil itself jerks the tank. What is best is that you can adjust the spring tension by wedging 'something' between the gearbox and the spring anchor. I can just imagine how this would be much better when I finish the tank with that motor adding to the recoil of the entire tank.

Looking at the first part of the video...the timing of the flash and the recoil, I think, is just but right. When I saw it, I knew I removed just about the right amount of tooth on that gear.

Before I forget, my aunt who lives in Croydon, Surrey ask me and family to come and visit her. I just might accept her offer (since she'll take care of our plane fare...lol). How far are you from there? I have never been to England.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Glory 71 that is one sweet recoil unit you have done .Much much better than the standard Tamiya .You will be asked alot of questions about this I can see this mod being adapted by quite a few guys here .Well done.Croydon is over 300miles from where Chris lives ,not far in your book but you havnt driven on U.K.roads there bad compared to the States .

regards pete
IMPACT
Recruit

Post by IMPACT »

outstanding work on the recoil action.

It is always a more realistic barrel movement when fired, the barrel will jerk back and return to battery at a slower rate.

IMPACT already has this kit available but does not want to put it up for sales.  Because it is quite a "high maintenance" kit.

When doing this modification, you have to take care:
1. The re-engage of gears between "A" and "B"
a. The jerk action is caused by the slip, no teeth section, at "B" (along with the spring)
b. when it re-engages, there is a possibility that the teeth of "A" & "B" might not mesh probably

2. The wear and tear of gears between "A" and "B"
a. again, because of the spring, the colliding force when the gears re-engage will be very great.
b. in long time, the teeth might slowly wear off.

The way to get around it:
1. For gear "A" and "B", use metal gears
2. Do many cycles of test to ensure gear "A" and "B" re-engage good before assembling the recoil unit into the tank.
3. Applied a good amount of grease, to prevent bad re-engagement.

Here is IMPACT Panther on the recoil action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okpvV-hh ... r_embedded
you can see the barrel moves slowly when it returns to battery (back to original position), because there is an adjustable voltage regulator to adjust for a lower voltage to the motor for a slower movement.
Last edited by IMPACT on Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Guys the easy way to slow the recoil going forward is to fit a resistor .Yhr has done this to the heng long recoil along with a mod to make it spring back ,I also have made the heng long recoil work in this fashion but a differant way .

regards pete

Return to “Jagdpanther”