HL Abrams detailing build

This board is for talk about tanks after WW2. The ups and downs. The ins and outs. All of it here.
greengiant
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: HL Abrams detailing build

Post by greengiant »

I'll have to search and see if I can find the pic you found. Did it look like maybe it was a field expedient replacement for a broken off original?
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

greengiant wrote:I'll have to search and see if I can find the pic you found. Did it look like maybe it was a field expedient replacement for a broken off original?
I don't know....thought I kept it on my build thread...scanned through it a few times but I guess I didn't :'(
I remember it well...because I kind of swore to myself because of the complex bends :haha:

ALPHA
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

Finally decided to make the outer rear sprocket ring from scratch (with the correct inside edge scallops) to mount in front of the CITV tower.
Did it by taking picture of the HL one, sizing it down till it was the correct size, then glued to sheet styrene laminated together to get the thickness. Then used Dremel tool bur to cut to the pictures edges. Did the inside edge scallops by eye after grinding out the center hole then a pin vise to do the countersunk mounting bolt holes.
Painted desert color to make it look like it was added after the tank, in Nato colors, arrived in Iraq.
Attachments
003.JPG
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

greengiant wrote:I did find a pic of an Abrams loaders hatch without all the added stuff. It's a Abrams M1E1 on display somewhere.
Now that I look at this photo again...it does have the "bend" like mine has....good! :haha: ...No more Hatch envy :D

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

greengiant wrote:Finally decided to make the outer rear sprocket ring from scratch (with the correct inside edge scallops) to mount in front of the CITV tower.
Did it by taking picture of the HL one, sizing it down till it was the correct size, then glued to sheet styrene laminated together to get the thickness. Then used Dremel tool bur to cut to the pictures edges. Did the inside edge scallops by eye after grinding out the center hole then a pin vise to do the countersunk mounting bolt holes.
Painted desert color to make it look like it was added after the tank, in Nato colors, arrived in Iraq.Image
That is Freakin Intense!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O ...Very Cool though Giant :thumbup: ....if I can figure out how to translate that onto the metal sprockets...I might copy that idea ...sort of ;) ...Still hesitant about drilling the sprockets out as well...not sure if it will weaken it :|

ALPHA
greengiant

Post by greengiant »

I haven't had any trouble wit the plastic sprockets. The sprocket cutouts are only on the outer section of the whole sprocket so I doubt there would be a problem with any cracking between the cut outs.

It could be done in metal but to hand grind it would be a chore, and would have to be done slowly so the paper template wouldn't burn up or have the glue holding it on release.

A machine shop that could do lost wax molds of a sample piece,it would give you brass sprockets but would cost a fortune and you'd probably have to order several thousand of them to get the price per piece down even a little.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

greengiant wrote:I haven't had any trouble wit the plastic sprockets. The sprocket cutouts are only on the outer section of the whole sprocket so I doubt there would be a problem with any cracking between the cut outs.

It could be done in metal but to hand grind it would be a chore, and would have to be done slowly so the paper template wouldn't burn up or have the glue holding it on release.

A machine shop that could do lost wax molds of a sample piece,it would give you brass sprockets but would cost a fortune and you'd probably have to order several thousand of them to get the price per piece down even a little.
What I would worry about is the milling process of the metal sprockets...the heat might change the temper it was molded at making it brittle ...I saw your mod ...it makes the drive train look a 100% more realistic...but as far as I know...no one sells separate metal sprockets...so if they did fail on me...well ...I'd be up the creek :lolno:

ALPHA
atcttge
Sergeant

Post by atcttge »

ALPHA wrote: What I would worry about is the milling process of the metal sprockets...the heat might change the temper it was molded at making it brittle ...I saw your mod ...it makes the drive train look a 100% more realistic...but as far as I know...no one sells separate metal sprockets...so if they did fail on me...well ...I'd be up the creek :lolno:

ALPHA
Milling metal stuff without making it heat up is easy. Just dip the part to be drilled in oil. I use baby oil. It helps lubricate the bit used for grinding/drilling the metal away and so reduces heat build up PLUS makes drilling/grinding more efficient, i.e. more material is removed when it's lubricated. Repeat dipping in oil as much as possible. Helps cool things down. The hard part is aligning it, and having a drill press would be of help.
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

scalawag wrote:
ALPHA wrote:.but as far as I know...no one sells separate metal sprockets...so if they did fail on me...well ...I'd be up the creek :lolno:

ALPHA

Here you go ALPHA

http://tankarmy.com/heng-long-tank/prod ... ets-p-1816

Very reliable retailer.

I might get a set and give it a try, why don't you as well? :thumbup:
How's their shipping Scalawag? Looked at their site when inquiring about your tracks...the prices are ok...but dang...shipping to Hawaii from Australia is killer...I didn't see shipping costs for them...but once I saw a model airplane I was interested in from a model shop down under...the model was a good price...but they wanted four time the cost of the model to ship it :wtf:

ALPHA
ALPHA
Major-General

Post by ALPHA »

atcttge wrote:
ALPHA wrote: What I would worry about is the milling process of the metal sprockets...the heat might change the temper it was molded at making it brittle ...I saw your mod ...it makes the drive train look a 100% more realistic...but as far as I know...no one sells separate metal sprockets...so if they did fail on me...well ...I'd be up the creek :lolno:

ALPHA
Milling metal stuff without making it heat up is easy. Just dip the part to be drilled in oil. I use baby oil. It helps lubricate the bit used for grinding/drilling the metal away and so reduces heat build up PLUS makes drilling/grinding more efficient, i.e. more material is removed when it's lubricated. Repeat dipping in oil as much as possible. Helps cool things down. The hard part is aligning it, and having a drill press would be of help.
I'm concerned that it will crack in use...machining is tricky for sure...but even when keeping it cool ...there still can be changes...Plastic sprockets will flex to a certain degree under stress....white metal will crack 8O

You know what's interesting though ATC...the Chally's sprocket looks like swiss cheese lol....I wonder if they will cast the metal version like the plastic version :think:

Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

ALPHA

Return to “Modern Tanks”