DUKW Scratch Builds 1/16 & 1/9.25

Up to the end of WWII
Ecam
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: DUKW Scratch Builds

Post by Ecam »

Packing the axles and transfer case stuffing boxes with marine grease. The t-case box will get some dielectric grease (if unfamiliar it is water proof and does not harden) so it should be a good product to use.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet" - George S. Patton

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Working on the top parts of the hull to get them ready for paint.

Had a nice conversation with my brother Mike yesterday on how to drill square holes for the canvas cover hoops. He gave me a great idea. Some times you just got to make some tools. I have some putty curing on the cargo deck. Once dry I will drill some holes and then heat the square brass tube and hope to shape the pockets. With luck I'll have some pictures of the results later today.

Eric
tankme

Post by tankme »

The paint on the lower pulls it all together. Really looking the part now.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

tankme wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:13 pm The paint on the lower pulls it all together. Really looking the part now.
That was true for me as well on both of the ducks. Just didn't look right until some paint pulled it together.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

I chipped the paint on Mike's spare DUKW wheel when a drill bit broke through and the chuck jaws hit the rim. I tried touching it up, but just couldn't match it well enough. Had to pull it apart to clean it up and re-coat. These are really cool wheels but those really small fasteners are a chore with aging eyes and fumbling fingers. Earlier I had to rework the front tires/tyres to add more "stuffing" inside the tire. They were starting to look like they were @ 5 PSI as the duck grew in weight.

Cut a hole in the deck for the rear storage box and made a spare tire mount. The wheel has not been repainted in this photo. The storage box on the front deck will not be functional. In this case the twin motors are just below that deck hatch.

Experimented on different diameter pre-drills. Chose the 3/16. It's only in primer now because I am debating (with myself) as to if and where paint shades should change between outside/inside and floor. All in all, I am happy with the way the pockets came out. Thanks Mike for the great idea! You are still my favorite older brother.

Last edited by Ecam on Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eric
sassgrunt
Sergeant

Post by sassgrunt »

When you first started this build and mentioned that the parts had come from me, I figured that was so it would be an automatic "disclaimer" for anything that went awry during the build. However, since I can see what magnificent work you've been able to accomplish; I cannot in any way take any credit for anything - it's all YOU!!

(I do note, however, the italicized "older" brother comment. I just mentally add "...and wiser" to it). Carry on. Schmuck.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Drilling square holes = achieved !! :thumbup:
I did wonder in what context these were required, now I can rest easy.
Hell of a job getting it together as a model, let alone backing yourself for it to float :crazy:

Now, the paint .......... :problem:

Yours is not right. Now Im no expert in all thing WW2 DUKW, but I can offer some accurate advice :

https://www.experienceoz.com.au/en/gold ... gIpmPD_BwE

https://www.aquaduck.com.au/?gclid=EAIa ... gKPnPD_BwE

:wtf:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Those are clearly post war...

IF I consider a third DUKW...

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Moved the rudder servo to opposite side for three reasons. It was getting crowded on the port side, it will be easier to sync/trim the rudder with the front wheels as they are both channel one. And lastly, I wanted the aft storage box (just because). It slides in a couple slots with a stop for rear movement and the cargo deck will prevent forward movement.

Eric
Ecam

Post by Ecam »

Mostly maintenance work today. Pulled the twin motor and transmission apart today. It has been getting noisy during testing. Found a couple bearings that seem iffy. Took some measurements and will get some replacements ordered. Built a link for the winch motor's servo. It seems the zero keeps changing as the model gets moved and I find the winch running when I turn it on. This link should keep the zero where it should be. Did finish most of the paint work. I know it looks like I am painting indoors. But the rain has been coming and going all day. When it stops, I run out and spray, then bring the parts back inside. It's a bit humid because of the rain (and Missouri) so the paint takes a while to dry. Also built a servo "y" to connect both steering servos. Lucked out and they both turn the correct direction on the first try. I thought I was going to have to change the rudder link around...

Eric

Return to “Wheeled and Half-Tracked Vehicles”