PT 109 Model

This section is for all of you who want to talk about RC boats, warships etc.
dylan9391
Lance Corporal

Re: PT 109 Model

Post by dylan9391 »

Hi,

Thanks for that and I did find my Elco plan and it's to a scale of 1/32, which even by my limited mathematically ability if I double up on the dimensions it would be perfect at 1/16, assuming I could get the figures to man it. It's designed for a single propellor, but it would be quite straightforward to change that. I've just started casting in fibreglass, so it would make a great plug and mould job.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Green Amphibian. I missed your post above. Excellent armament.The PT Crews were very innovative, and what most people know about is the John Kennedy movies or They were expendable. These guys were back water supply disruption tactics. Many times going up against well armed barge type vessels.

And Buckleys own words were take no prisoners,and they did not. But after a while they forced him back to the states to train new crews. I really think they were worried about his tactics. Very resourceful group of guy's. And your mounting of the additional 40mm and 20mm on the front deck were typical of their modifications. The dept charges are a nice touch as well. Excellent build,I am inspired as well but have to many unfinished models to start another one. Saxondog
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

The disruptive pattern I mentioned PT-170 ELCO 80FT BOAT,and PT196 another ELCO 80FT.Boat.
Saxondog

PT-170 ELCO BOAT 80FT.
PT-170 ELCO BOAT 80FT.
PT-196 ELCO BOAT 80FT.
PT-196 ELCO BOAT 80FT.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Green Amphibian, I think this is your boat? Check it out
PT-618 ELCO 80FT..jpg
PT-618 ELCO 80FT..jpg (13.18 KiB) Viewed 6371 times
GreenAmphibian
Lance Corporal

Post by GreenAmphibian »

That is pretty close to what mine represents. I did not make or install the rocket launchers on either side of the forward cabin.
Death smiles at everyone, Marines smile back!
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

Seems the later boats that was standard equipment. The Records Museum in Germantown,Tennessee has all the records,almost all the log books or the micro film equivalent.

Super nice people and most do not know this history. The boats in North Carolina are owned by the museum here. And years ago my father told me about the two boats that were on the Mississippi,River here in Memphis in the late 40 and early 50's.

. If you guys check the link you will find hundreds of photos on line. cheers

http://www.ptboats.org/

http://www.ptboats.org/13-0-05-links.html Bottom of the page contains the contact information for the Germantown,Tn. Location. Many photos and just about all the records of the PT-Boat service.
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

G/A Does your pt have the same props as mine? I ask because the shafts and props came with the upgrade kit and shaft support that have a retangular mounting base maybe 20mm x 30mm and I chose not to use the shaft supports as the plan ones in the kit were stable and less drag,although the drag would not have much effect running twin 9.2 batteries and twin speed control at one point, this was unstable at high speeds so I converted to single control with counter rotating shafts which worked very well and actually seems to last longer. But my PT has not been under power for years. But that may change soon. cheers
GreenAmphibian
Lance Corporal

Post by GreenAmphibian »

I have used the kit supplied supports for the shafts, but have made my own shafts and stuffing boxes, rudders, and I am also using counter rotating props. I am using a single Traxxas speed control to operate the two motors. I would have better control if I used two, but I haven't made that investment in this model yet. I have three in my S-100 controlling brushless motors, and two verlinion units in my PBR. Lately I have been concentrating on my LVT's.
Death smiles at everyone, Marines smile back!
Saxondog
Captain

Post by Saxondog »

My boat has the older speed control more transistor the printed circuit, but 20 years ago when I purchased the boat and equipment that was good,modern electronics. My 1/200 Yamato from Nichimo has the same old transistor type speed control and older brushed motors. I've had it 22years. I have the Blue Devil Destroyer from Lindberg with the same drive as the PT BOAT. i have to older boats given to me in poor condition,one a big paddle wheel river boat,scale I guess might be 1/96 because it is a good 60"x 20" and a Cabin Cruiser wooden boat that was from Billing Boats Chris Craft Commander series. I have never finished the last two.Most of my models are 1/350 scale many have motors as does most of the Tamiya kits but no RC stuff. But you guy's have gotten my interest going and my new Christmas Present(USS Arizona) has me wanting to build boats again. cheers Blake
karel47
Private

Post by karel47 »

you must shorely look into the Hooben Vosper Perkasa on 1/32 scale , 98cm long realy a beauty i have it in the box here worth his money
Attachments
Hooben Perkasa5a.gif
P1080062.jpg
P1070669.jpg
P1070669.jpg (23.73 KiB) Viewed 6235 times
Dsc05003a.jpg

Return to “RC Boats / Ships”