Panzer IV Thoma shields (screen schurzen)

lost_wolf
Recruit

Re: Panzer IV Thoma shields (screen schurzen)

Post by lost_wolf »

:clap: :clap:
Loving this build capt.midnight , looks good in the pics and even better in person :wave:
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Made some more headway today. Got the latches and hangers mounted to the screens.

Here's a side shot showing the pieces installed. I soldered the hangers onto the top frame, and used super glue to hold the latches in place until I could get the rivets installed.
latches mounted on shields
latches mounted on shields
Here's a couple of shots of the latches on the inside.
Inside view of latch
Inside view of latch
Inside view, different angle
Inside view, different angle
Full side view with them all in place.
Latches and hangers installed
Latches and hangers installed
And with all the holes drilled and pins soldered in place for the rivets. The top holes on the hangers will have pins installed to hold them onto the frame. I'll put these in after all is painted and ready to go.
Rivets installed
Rivets installed
Still have to do the mounts for the solid pieces at the front end. I'm not planning on attaching the solid plates to the mounts but leaving them soldered to the front of the screens. I think it's a bit more solid this way. After I get those done, it'll be on to the plate schurzen around the turret.

Thanks for looking!

Bill
"Yeah, but it's a dry heat!"
Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) ALIENS
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

Many thanks to Rad_Schuhart for his downloadable schurzen patterns. They made this project so much easier. :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

After taking a look at the mounts for the front plates, I decided to just leave them off. They were going to be fairly fragile and looked like they would snag on everything. After a bit of clean up, the plates were pretty much done. Just in need of a good wash and painting.

So, on to the turret schurzen...

Here are the turret mounts installed. I cut a hole for the lower end, and the upper is held in place with pins. These parts will be removable to make it easier to paint. When they are permanently installed, I'll secure them with CA.
Turret mounts
Turret mounts
Another view of the mounts
Another view of the mounts
Here's the first plate installed. I made up a holder for the turret, then used a block of the correct height to hold the plate while I soldered it to the mounts.
First plate installed
First plate installed
After installing the rear plates, I soldered both rear doors in place after some trimming and adjusting.
first door added
first door added
Here's everything in place. Just needs some minor adjusting.
All installed
All installed
Head on view
Head on view
A couple of overall shots. Rivets not installed yet.
ready for rivets
ready for rivets
Another view. Still needs rivets.
Another view. Still needs rivets.
After I took these, I drilled and soldered all the rivets in place. Everything is now soaking in soapy water for cleaning. Hope to be able to paint them tomorrow.

Thanks!

Bill
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Bill this looks fantastic! On an earlier project Panzer IV with turret schurzen I was going to CA glue the brackets to the turret and decided to install small pins and carefully drilled the turret with a very fine drill bit to secure the schurzen mounts with the addition of CA glue. Basically I "bolted them down" to secure them :wave:
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Arnie_DK
Corporal

Post by Arnie_DK »

Love it!!!
Really nice job! :D
woolenspark
Recruit

Post by woolenspark »

that is nice work. Never seen the screen ones before always the wall. So cool.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Alfa Three Five
Private

Post by Alfa Three Five »

Just one word: Impressive, your work on it is just impressive. Very well done
capt midnight
Corporal

Post by capt midnight »

c.rainford73 wrote:Bill this looks fantastic! On an earlier project Panzer IV with turret schurzen I was going to CA glue the brackets to the turret and decided to install small pins and carefully drilled the turret with a very fine drill bit to secure the schurzen mounts with the addition of CA glue. Basically I "bolted them down" to secure them :wave:
That's basically what I've done on these. All the pins except for the ones on the plates at the front of the screens are acting as rivets. The top ends of the turret brackets are pinned, and the bottom ends will be glued in place from the inside. I might put a pin on the inside just to kind of help hold them in place.

Thanks to all for the kind comments. I can"t remember seeing any of the screen schurzen done before, but surely someone has. Just have to finish the clean up and on to the paint. Hopefully I can get them finished up today.

Bill
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

Well done
Tanks alot.... :wave:
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Magnificent :clap: :clap:
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “Panzer IV”